FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Can I Make My PC as Mac As Possible?

guissmo
Apple computers are too expensive for me.

What are the best ways to Mac-ify a PC... just asking.
djclue917
1. Reformat your hard disk.
2. Install a modern desktop-oriented Linux distro.
3. Make sure that you use KDE as your desktop environment;.
4. Download the Baghira theme or go to KDE-Look.org and search for Mac-looking eyecandy.
5. Install kxdocker.
6. Tweak your desktop a little bit so it behaves like a Mac.
manumiglani
I think this could help you out.....

Quote:

StyleXP or WindowBlinds (skins the Graphical User Interface of your operating system)

ObjectBar (the white Finder bar on the top of Macs; has File, Edit, View, etc. on it.)

ObjectDock, YzDock (discontinued), or MobyDock (The dock on the bottom of a Mac that contains icons and shortcuts to programs)

Trillian (chat program that can be skinned to resemble iChat)

YzToolbar (skins the toolbar icons in your Windows windows)

YzShadow (puts a lovely drop shadow under your windows la Mac OS X)

Rainlendar (popular skinable desktop calendar)

Rainmeter (skinnable desktop system statistics)

Samurize (like Konfabulator for the Mac; can display just about anything, such as clocks, uptime, and the weather)

iTunes for Windows (self-explanatory)

Icons (The pretty little pictures on your desktop that point you somewhere. There are millions out there, but try the link provided for over a 1,000 lifted from Mac OS X 10.3 aka Panther)

Source -

http://features.engadget.com/2004/06/09/turn-your-pc-into-a-mac/
TheGeek
I agree with the first suggestions.

With a linux distro you will get the security of a Mac and with a little tweak work you will also have the look and feel of one. The only thing you are missing is the price really.

The only thing I must warn though if you do this, is that like Mac, linux takes some getting used to as it does not work the same as windows.

If you feel the need to stick to windows however, styleXP in my experience is the way to go.
Rsam
http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

All you need for the style portion of mac.
guissmo
djclue917 wrote:
4. Download the Baghira theme or go to KDE-Look.org and search for Mac-looking eyecandy.
5. Install kxdocker.

wha? in english please. Razz
Stubru Freak
guissmo wrote:
djclue917 wrote:
5. Install kxdocker.

wha? in english please. Razz

1. Get rid of Windows
2. Get a linux distro, I would recommend Ubuntu, or Kubuntu as djclue917 wants you to use KDE.
3. Just download that theme.
4. Just install that software, really easy in Linux.
5. Just change your settings as you want.
henrygl
intel pc?

get a copy of the developer's dvd (intel) of 10.4.5
use a few patches mentioned at macslash, too lazy to look it up.
install mac osx

now make it look like xp if you miss it lol
Xeniczone
the best you can do is install Darwin.
turbohead
If you are using windows XP, you can find some visual styles here.
haakjay
I always wanted to try mac but i dont have the money. Microsoft Virtual Pc is actually quite good for running linux
The_Gamer294
DimaSafr
Why would you possibly want that ??? Mac sucks!
Dustylunchbox
mac is amazing and everybody knows it. thae fact that its expensive kinda just makes it an exclusive club that only people with dedication can join not just posers. i use mac and cant get enough of it. i mean wow amazing. but i say if u wanna macify ur pc just buy a cheaper mac cause they ae out there. still with good speed. jsut do some research if ur dedicated enough!
{name here}
Dustylunchbox wrote:
mac is amazing and everybody knows it. thae fact that its expensive kinda just makes it an exclusive club that only people with dedication can join not just posers. i use mac and cant get enough of it. i mean wow amazing. but i say if u wanna macify ur pc just buy a cheaper mac cause they ae out there. still with good speed. jsut do some research if ur dedicated enough!

I don't think a PC in an off white plastic case is particularily amazing.

If you truely want your PC to look like OS X use KDE or GNOME in Linux or BSD. GNOME was able to be mac-like first, so maybe if you do some poking and prodding you can find the steps to do so.
redice
If you means the hardware is expensive, you may install MAC for intel.
{name here}
redice wrote:
If you means the hardware is expensive, you may install MAC for intel.

Installing Mac OS X into a PC is a violation of the EULA and I doubt Apple has put any PC into the list of licensed computers.
lukeropro
DimaSafr wrote:
Why would you possibly want that ??? Mac sucks!

Omg, obviously you don't know all the functions and applications in a Mac. It's way more secure, fast and it looks better!
Mwilliams
It is almost impossible to convert a PC to a MAC. Apple computers use a different processor and a different file language. If you spend alot of money on buying the hardware, you will than have to buy the mac operating system.

Thats alot of money you will spend if it is possible to convert a PC into a Mac.
A simple solution would be to buy "Virtual Mac"
exarkun
try installing windowsblind. I guess they should have those nice skin that looks like mac.
{name here}
Mwilliams wrote:
It is almost impossible to convert a PC to a MAC. Apple computers use a different processor and a different file language. If you spend alot of money on buying the hardware, you will than have to buy the mac operating system.

Thats alot of money you will spend if it is possible to convert a PC into a Mac.
A simple solution would be to buy "Virtual Mac"

1) PowerPC processors are used in both Macs and PCs
2) IA-32 architecture is followed on both Intel/AMD PCs and Macs
3) You don't have to spend a ton of money to create a Mac-like PC. OSes that can near fully copycat the OS X look are free, and will work with many types of hardware and processors. Finding an off-white plastic case to stuff your hardware into isn't that hard either.
4) It is a violation of the EULA to install Mac OS X into something that has not been okayed by Apple.
5) PearPC is great emulatoin software, but you need a powerful machine to run OS X inside an emulator - one over 866 Mhz since OS 9 will only putt on that even with as much off as possible.
lukeropro
Rsam wrote:
http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

All you need for the style portion of mac.

It looks pretty good! Maybe I'll try it someday!
Tahp
Hmm I got a couple thoughts to add here. Very Happy

First off, how fast is your PC? If it's a decent speed (Atleast p4, with 512mb ram) You can always go the HotISO developers OSX86 route as stated above. OS X runs really fast if you have supported hardware. (Benchmarks are better then Real G3 1.2mhz ibooks on 1.6mhz Pentium 4 PCs)
* Yes I know this is against Apple's Policy, I'm just stated some options available that have been tested by thousands of people * So with tha said, try the above method at your own risk.

Another option is pretty much for people with extremely fast machines to make OS X usuable at all. Like stated above, it's with a program called PearPC. The best I was able to do was just drool and how cool the OS X interface was while using ichat to IM all my buddies pretending I had a Mac.

Third option is the most legal and simple way. Flyakite. Also stated in above posts. This is a great windows transformation kit that makes your windows pc LOOK like mac. It does an extremely great job of it too. Plus you keep all the functionality of windows if you're not exactly "Switched Over" yet.

There's tons of other methods also.. I think the above options are the most used by others that found themselves asking the same question as this post. Wink
tumpat
you just download desktop theme...

this site maybe useful...

http://www.maxthemes.com/themes/?theme=Mac+OS+XP

then you can download mac bar at this site...

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

however,if you used this software,your computer maybe will slow down because this software used many space of your memory...

it maybe appear beautiful but you should think about your computer...
you might be boring with that...
cheeta
spending some Time / Effort just to change a Visual settings...

i guess though its off topic, but still Buying a MAC would be best... u cant replicate the running pleasure of Apple MAC... Razz
Kd527
guissmo wrote:
Apple computers are too expensive for me.

What are the best ways to Mac-ify a PC... just asking.

Apple's cheapest computer is USD $599. Not that expensive. That's giving you a dual core Intel processor. You can use your existing monitor and you just need a USB keyboard an mouse (which of course Apple also sells).
TheGeek
YZ toolbar adds a toolbar like is in Mac OSX, however, Apple found it and decided that it was TOO similar to theirs and told the developers they had to stop updating it. versions 1.3 and 1.2 can still be found around the web though they are hard to find.
Kitten Kong
are you serious?
ammonkc
Don't even bother. just get a mac. you can do all the Interface hacks you want to make windows look like a mac, but its still not a mac. there is a lot more to being a mac than the eyecandy.
seriously, macs are that expensive anymore. once you make the switch, you will not regret it.
tbsmicro
I agree, Just buy a MAC, a minimac is a cheap way of starting with them, they are not that expensive !!
ammonkc
The first time you buy a mac it seems like a huge plunge. but once you do you will never regret it and will never want to go back. I was hesitant for a while because of the price also, but I'm glad I did.