FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A Rant by Vrythramax about Microsoft





Vrythramax
First let me say that I do think Mr gates is not a marketing genius, nor do I doubt his programming capabilities. I have problems with his business practices. If any doubt my (gag) "fondness" for Microsoft, please view this page I wrote a couple of years ago on My Microsoft Haters Page

The average IQ of Internet users is in ballistic free-fall and has been for some time, and it appears there is no end in sight for utterly brainless schemes like the ones Mr. Gates has in store for us. Does no one realize M$ does not release a finished product for sale?? The end users are thier Beta Testers and M$ fixes the screwups based upon thier complaints.

Until recently I wrote programs only for Windows, but like many, I have noticed that Microsoft's originally positive behavior and attitude toward its customers has gradually evaporated, replaced by an increasingly fascist policy greater profit, less time wasted improving its products. Over time, Microsoft's programs have gotten worse more and more features, less and less internal coherence. But this all pales compared to an apparent Microsoft corporate goal: complete control of the end user's computer. It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line, without any overt notification or permission. This change of policy is official it is in very small print, but Microsoft is not trying to conceal their plans.

Things are so bad at Microsoft that someone like me can write and not give away a program that does things no Microsoft program can do, at any price. The way they have it now if it (the program) is not fit to run in either a Windows enviroment, or at cater to Internet Exlorers propriety programming standards, it just may conflict with windows....only.

Granted, Mr. Gates has become the great philothrampric (spelling?), but when you stop to think about it...how could he possibly spend all his money?? He could buy Aircraftcarriers, small countries, possibly even settle the national debt....so why not give it away to charity and make himself look better ( and hopefully feel better) after raping 2/3'rds of the worlds personal computers in more languages than I can not only spell, but pronounce.

I'm off my soapbox, but I would love to hear your comments.

More to come later on his "puppet" endevours, and slaving programmers to his standards.
The Czar
Owh sheet. My XP is a new copy dude ...
Ikthar
Vrythramax wrote:
Does no one realize M$ does not release a finished product for sale?? The end users are thier Beta Testers and M$ fixes the screwups based upon thier complaints.

Apple makes exactly the same. Their first generation products have a lot of issues/bugs/etc that are fixed only up the second generation. An example of this are the MacBooks. I know many people that bought the first generation of MacBooks and they have problems with TouchPad, batteries, etc.
In my opinion it's a natural way of the nowadays companies work. They release a "not finished" product in the market, and wait for the users' feeback, and based on that feedback they make changes on the product.
mOrpheuS
Well since you don't talk about anything specifically, it's not really open to debate. It's your opinion after all.

The only things you did speak of specifically :
Vrythramax wrote:
Does no one realize M$ does not release a finished product for sale?? The end users are thier Beta Testers and M$ fixes the screwups based upon thier complaints.

I never knew any Microsoft beta products were up for sale, if you meant that literally.
I believed Microsoft follow their development cycle religiously and only release products after rigorous testing ... going as far as delaying products' release dates by several months to get things ironed out.

And ... isn't it a good thing that they make available post-release patches to fix any undetected bugs?
I would always prefer a product with good after-sales support over one without any.
How come Microsoft end up getting bashed for their very effective automatic update option?


Vrythramax wrote:
It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line, without any overt notification or permission.

Can you share little more detail on this ?
Any article about this recent "policy change" and what exactly comprises the "parts of operating system being replaced"?

Vrythramax wrote:
Things are so bad at Microsoft that someone like me can write and not give away a program that does things no Microsoft program can do, at any price. The way they have it now if it (the program) is not fit to run in either a Windows enviroment, or at cater to Internet Exlorers propriety programming standards, it just may conflict with windows....only.

I didn't really understand what you're trying to say here. Embarassed
Perhaps re-phrase it?


However, there are several things that you did speak of specifically in your "Microsoft Haters Page".
I must say that it sounds more like propaganda and is not entirely factual.
That article is pretty old, maybe that's the reason for it. Or maybe because it's a "hate" article (too strong a word, you see).
I'll risk a guess that you wrote that article without any first hand or reliable information about how product activation works or what is allowed and what isn't.
We can get into details of the various "points" that you put forth in that article if we don't mind going off on a tangent for while in this thread. Wink

I also don't know why Gates' intentions end up getting questioned when he makes a donation.
jb2_86_uk
Vrythramax wrote:
It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line, without any overt notification or permission.


Its called windows update and its what keeps it from breaking. Which some computer users might just find a bit helpful.

Programs would never get released if they had to be 100% tested before release. I dont know about you but I would rather have several million beta testers working 24/7 for a number of years than a few (relativly) beta testers working for a month or two. This lets Microsoft release products and then maintain them in real time. It wouldnt be very good if win2000 didnt get released until 2002 would it?

Microsoft is doing a damn good job, and Mr Gates IS a merketing genius. If it wasnt for Microsoft and Windows, everybody would be stuck with apple, which would not have been developed due to lack of competition.

Why do you think 2/3rds of the worlds computers run Windows? because its the better OS perhaps?

And how about when youre reaching retirment and you have your life savings, why dont YOU give it all up to world debt? You might not end it but Im sure it would help. Exactly. You have earnt that money and you are probably looking forward to spending it like every other human on earth.

JB
a.Bird
jb2_86_uk: I agree with all of your points, except however that 2/3 of the worlds computers run Windows because Windows is a better OS. I'd definitely say that it's much cheaper and much more versatile in that you can hand select every piece of hardware and top it off with an old windows cd laying around your house when you're done. I've got a machine I spent roughly $600 on give or take that runs like $1000 mac. But now I'm just getting nitpicky Wink .

If learning how to install and use Linux wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd give up windows completely. Everyone says that Linux is such a great OS and I believe it, but if my best resource is an online installation tutorial that's coded in undefined Linux lingo, I might as well continue using WinXP because I have no idea where to even begin.
alkady
This is the kind of things that happen in a free world, Your free to do what you please.

If people where to always release a final product, It would cost alot of $$$$$. Plus, Every day that passes, The product is most likely to get scrapped because someone may beat them to it by introducing something superior.

This is business and this is how shady it is, No matter what. Their goal is to make money, They already invested a substantial amount of money and they set a timeline.

If someone beat them in the race, They would be stuck reinvest more money and time, While losing a share of the market because people already have something similar and it may take decades before any changes in the market occur.

Just my thoughts. Wink
HoboPelican
Vrythramax wrote:
It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line, without any overt notification or permission. This change of policy is official it is in very small print, but Microsoft is not trying to conceal their plans.


Max, could you give us more info on this? I'm sure you aren't talking about the standard Windows Update. I'm curious what the method is and options to avoid. I'll search in the meanwhile.
frozenhead
Vrythramax wrote:

It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line

Yeah, that's true but i'm not saying it's a violation of privacy or things like that. It's a fact that there's NO SUCH THING as so called "Perfect Program or System" ever developed. So, developers find a way to update the released products to be updated (Automatic Updates) that is really good.

Quote:
.....without any overt notification or permission.


Disclaimers' Note after installation of SP2 tackles this one.

Quote:
I have noticed that Microsoft's originally positive behavior and attitude toward its customers has gradually evaporated, replaced by an increasingly fascist policy greater profit, less time wasted improving its products. Over time, Microsoft's programs have gotten worse more and more features, less and less internal coherence.


If you happen to visit Microsoft's website, they're are in fact releasing FREE DEVELOPER'S PRODUCTS for Programmer's who want to learn the Windows Environment. I guess, this agruement might oppose their objectives. Well, it's really the fact that their products are costly.


Well, it's a good thing you brought up this topic though. Wink
Vrythramax
HoboPelican wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line, without any overt notification or permission. This change of policy is official it is in very small print, but Microsoft is not trying to conceal their plans.


Max, could you give us more info on this? I'm sure you aren't talking about the standard Windows Update. I'm curious what the method is and options to avoid. I'll search in the meanwhile.


I won't go into details in public forum (I can't afford the lawsuit), but if you run a firewall and when you initially connect to the Internet....does it show massive activity to the point your browser hangs on startup?

Hmmm?
snowboardalliance
Vrythramax wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
It has recently been discovered that Windows XP users may have parts of their operating system replaced by Microsoft while they are on line, without any overt notification or permission. This change of policy is official it is in very small print, but Microsoft is not trying to conceal their plans.


Max, could you give us more info on this? I'm sure you aren't talking about the standard Windows Update. I'm curious what the method is and options to avoid. I'll search in the meanwhile.


I won't go into details in public forum (I can't afford the lawsuit), but if you run a firewall and when you initially connect to the Internet....does it show massive activity to the point your browser hangs on startup?

Hmmm?


Confused

What?

And about your website, I think that is a little outdated, seeing as plenty of people are able to re-activate windows several times from what Ihear.
Vrythramax
@snowboardalliance
Yes, that page is very outdated, it was written about 4 years ago...but the things it contains have not changed and yes you can activate your copy multiple time, BUT...if you make 3 hardware changes to the pc it is installed on you cannot re-activate, you must request a new serial from MS.

@Morpheus

I did not start this out as a debate, hence the topic title "Rant". Of course M$ does not package a beta for sale...who would buy it? They package what they call a "Stable Release Version" which in truth is still a beta. I give you this to think about, after the release of win95 there were over 32,000 bug reports submitted by end users in the first 10 days....and they call that stable?

I will however correct one thing I mistyped...I DO believe Bill Gates to be a marketing genius. Very few of you seem to remember that he first created DOS and THAT populated 2/3 of the world's pc's, then he (and a host of others) created windows 3.1 as an interface to DOS...but DOS was still the OS. Dos became a subset with the advent of win95....and the rest is history.
mathiaus
Vrythramax wrote:
Very few of you seem to remember that he first created DOS and THAT populated 2/3 of the world's pc's...

Maybe we don't remember that because it didn't happen. He didn't write it, he brought it. The fact however that he never created anything good but sold someone elses stuff backs up your point about him being good at business Smile
Vrythramax
mathiaus wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
Very few of you seem to remember that he first created DOS and THAT populated 2/3 of the world's pc's...

Maybe we don't remember that because it didn't happen. He didn't write it, he brought it. The fact however that he never created anything good but sold someone elses stuff backs up your point about him being good at business Smile


I stand corrected on that point, you are right. Wikipedia proves us both right, I wrong about it's creator. Embarassed
Related topics
Microsoft gunning for Adobe's PDF format?
Microsoft makes mobile move
Sun, Microsoft tout fruits of cooperation
Microsoft slams UK open-source study
Bogus Microsoft Security Update Circulates
Microsoft's antispyware joke?
Microsoft Visual Basic help
microsoft
Microsoft under fire for RSS hijacking
Microsoft is upto it's dirty games again!
Google copied Microsoft ...!!!
MICROSOFT SURFACE - Awaiting your comments
Windows Activation (Story and [i]slight[/i] rant)
if you dvd burner stop working...
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.