FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are we living in a computer simulation

datter
For those interested in some deep reading, this is a great article. Abstract below.

Quote:
ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

datter
alkady
If this is actually true, This would mean the people who created us in a sense would be "Perfect" because there are no bugs, No system crashes. None.
HoboPelican
I'm pretty tired, but I don't buy the concept at all. Doesn't it presuppose the existence of technologically advanced species? Wouldn't you have to prove this assumption to even start considering his theory?
rightclickscott
alkady wrote:
If this is actually true, This would mean the people who created us in a sense would be "Perfect" because there are no bugs, No system crashes. None.

That may be true, but you're only thinking in the sense that the computers we have now are the same kind these "Ancients" used. It always seems like times in my life when things just glitch. One time, when I was younger, It was 9 o' clock, and the entire sky was orange. That was a giant glitch in my eyes. I always feel like there is some minor glitch happening, like when I look at something, I look away, and then I look back, and it looks like the thing moved, or a die is on a different side than the one that it was left on, or a bottle of bawls over to my left is turned differently, things like that. I may be just paranoid, but then again, I know there are people above me, in the field of organized crime running my town, which makes everyone look like a drug dealer in our town, litterally, if you're from Middletown, you go to another town, and someone will ask if you are one. But, I digress, I think if this is a simulation, then it's so these "Ancients" can observe how people react with stuff like racism and religion, and I believe there are people who are controlled by the "Ancients" to spread ideas that will turn us against eachother, just to observe how we react. I hope I can leave an impression on these guys, because then I know I've done something more with my life.
jabapyth
that sounds absolutely crazy. Who wrote that?
CMA
What is the Matrix...?
Ok, seriously, this is a messed up idea, but hey...! One can dream, right?

So let's see... We are like a virus, since we act on our own (depending on our programming), infect other files (taking over enviroments), multiply by ourselves and cause damage all around. Yup, we're viruses alright... Still, we're under tight control by our creators. Sucks... Still, I'm glad they're not Microsoft, or I'd be poking my brain with a large stick right now...
datter
Quote:
This would mean the people who created us in a sense would be "Perfect" because there are no bugs, No system crashes. None.

I don't know about you but my life is full of bugs. Smile
Sappho
alkady wrote:

Ok i am not into this idea but i have to comment on this one, do you really think that if there were crashes that we could be able to observe em? If the whole reality was just a simulation then they can manipulate time, not just time for whole simulation but for each separate unit. And if they are able to do so, then there is no way we would be able to spot any bug/crash at all, they can simply erase it from our minds or rerun the time step of that simulation point again without bug as many times as they want.

Just a thought Wink
frozenhead
Quote:

(3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation.

This arguement sound like the movie "Matrix" for me though. Well, i guess the article proves some good points but still a thought of a "maybe true or a false scenario". Wink
mceejaydee
Wow Shocked and I thought I was the only one with thoughts like this. Seriously, I think that we're alien worms in virtual reality then when death comes us "worms" wake up in an arcade about to go home after a game of "Life"
DeFwh
Well its a little thing called life! (no batteries required)
shaggly
Isn't this just another clone of the posting a few days ago asking whether we were living in the Matrix?

Personally, this all seems like such a silly idea, and to even be asking the question I would suggest that you seek some kind of professional assistance.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
James007
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-42372.html
-close-