FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Was there any point to sending men to the moon?

datter
Today is the 37th anniversary of the moon landings. Was there any point to all that in your opinion? and in a related question, is there any further point to doing it again... which the US is apparently planning for some point in the future.

datter
Qube
Ego. Pure and simple.
Space race with USSR (or was it called Russia by then? I forget.), we "won."
We didn't really gain anything from it, maybe some knowledge about sediment and atmospheric properties on other planets, but it's not like they led to say, a cure for HIV.
I hope that at least someday all this research can get us off this planet, cause we all know where it's headed.
Good thing I'll be dead by then. Very Happy
cybernie
There could be a reason for that. Maybe the scientists are not yet contented of wait they got from their previous students and expeditions to the moon. There could be something more out there that's taking much of their interest triggering them to plan for another mission.
alkady
Prestige Really, Back then 37 years ago, It was the Cold War. The US and the USSR where competing to see who can claim supremacy as the sole superpower.

Of course I myself find the Moon Landing as a waste of money, A Colossal one may I add, Because not only was the program rushed, It wasnt really done out of Scientific Reason, But morely Vanity Reasons to show off to the Russians.

and it was also to stay ahead of the enemy. The USSR would eventually collapse in 1991 but thats another story.
Vrythramax
I don't know...ever seen the craters on the moon from impacting objects? The US spends less than 3% of NASA's budget on near Earth collisions. A piece of space rock/ice 1/4 a mile wide would kill us all. Who knows, maybe we could learn from the moons past....it seems pretty beat up to me.

Then again it may just hit our collective egos and we will all survive....in stupidity.
babolattennis
we can learn from the moon. Better the mistakes be done on the moon than here where there is life
bulek
Of course they wanted to look for any new lives, technologies, search for water, explore stones etc. But the fact is, they didn't find nothing useful. Smile
jb2_86_uk
....If we even went to the moon?

Deep down I believe that NASA DID go to the moon, but when you see the conspiracy theories and their evidence, it does cast a bit of doubt over thw whole thing. Out of alignment shadows, reflections on the space suit visors.

You only have to look at the Area 51 situation to see what the US Government is capable of. Denying Area 51 existed when it was clearly visible from satalite photography and from the mountains surrounding Groom Lake. And then one day they say 'Oh yeah it does exist... what do you mean, yesterday we said it didnt? no we didnt' Lol

JB
Bondings
jb2_86_uk wrote:

They placed mirrors on the moon, being used to reflect laser light to measure the precise distance between the moon and the earth. You can hardly fake those I guess. Wink
indianinworld
Folks -

Please drop the Idea of going to Moon.......

Let atleast the Moon be Divine and Pure Laughing

keep smiling
Oblivion-Zion
datter wrote:
Today is the 37th anniversary of the moon landings. Was there any point to all that in your opinion? and in a related question, is there any further point to doing it again... which the US is apparently planning for some point in the future.

datter

I have always wondered this.....completely waste of time tbh......i dont see what we could get out of it that would be so interesting...but i guess moon and space doesnt interest me like it does others.
Jayfarer
What, other than being a landmark accomplishment for all of mankind?

No.
jabapyth
i think going to mars is a much better use of our time. Its a full-size planet, studies have shown that mars was probably somewhat like earth some time ago. Also, there may have been life there.
xorcist
datter wrote:

datter

Just to show that we can land on the moon and you didint, And to explore if you see some place in the sky when you look up wouldnt you want to see how it looks close up and explore it?
Gavilan
I think that it is a big problem because before we screw up another galaxy or a planet we need to get things worked out herer on earth, whats the point of going to outer space spend BILLIONS of dollars on going to outer space to find what WATER? godammit go to the beach and you can see all the water you want !
Blaster
Vrythramax wrote:
I don't know...ever seen the craters on the moon from impacting objects? The US spends less than 3% of NASA's budget on near Earth collisions. A piece of space rock/ice 1/4 a mile wide would kill us all. Who knows, maybe we could learn from the moons past....it seems pretty beat up to me.

Then again it may just hit our collective egos and we will all survive....in stupidity.

I think if you where to have space ice it would melt up before it hit earth. If it was that big the sun would start to melt it but once it entered the atmosphere it would quickly burn up.

Bondings i can totaly see what you are saying. And sadly i can believe that.
frozenhead
It really adds up a lot in the "National Budget" if we say so. My opinion is maybe we can find something there for the use of mankind to extend our existence though. So, a simple reason maybe is we send manned missions to find resources to be studied an excavation of an acient civilization of aliens maybe).
mceejaydee
Well...at least we know that sending men up to the moon is POSSIBLE
sibbahz
I think the reason the USA went is just because they are rich enough, and wanted to show it.
Unless the US governent think the world is so close to blowing up they are desperatly trying to find somewhere to send us all...
hope the real reason is the first.
Blaster
I think it could have to do with do they think the moon is moving closer and closer and it may crash into the earth. Although it could be that we where gready and just wanted to be first to put man on the moon. Which wouldn't surprise me in any way becuase the US is like that.

Or they want to find a place to dump all of our trash because we have so much of it.

I'd like to know more why they are studing dinosours. There dead big deal.
Bondings
Blaster wrote:
I think it could have to do with do they think the moon is moving closer and closer and it may crash into the earth.

It's actually the opposite. The moon is slowly moving away.
Quote:
The moon is spiraling away from Earth at a rate of 3.8 cm per year, due to the Earth's ocean tides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment
ncwdavid
All that space crap is confusing and a massive waste of money.
manumiglani
No point.......... Just wastage of money........ Instead the money could be used for other beneficial purposes, to help those who are helpless....
Dj_honorio
Well.. It was all about curiosity too.. Why do we explore after all? Of course i think we may gain something from that..in the future.. If we keep looking for good locations on the moon, maybe one day we might be able to live in the moon.. If we could build up some kind of base there.. it coulde be useful to avoid human extinction... we never know..

So i don't really think that landing on the moon was a waste of time and money...
myspace
Now we just need to take our time, and figure out where we going next!
Laughing
By the way is it ok to use HTML for the signature in the profile?
manumiglani
myspace wrote:
Now we just need to take our time, and figure out where we going next!
Laughing
By the way is it ok to use HTML for the signature in the profile?

Html does not work in signatures.... You will have to use bb codes.... THE codes you use while making your post........
essentialmedia
It's called exploration, and there is a lot that we learned from the moon trips especially about the geology of the moon and of meteorites (those little buggers that hit the moon leaving all the craters, they don't burn up when approaching the moon so they are on the moon for the collecting).
myspace
Ok thanks for the answer.
horseatingweeds
These types of exploration are very important and definitely not a waste of many. It is easy to look at the price tag of such missions and feel that amount of money could have gone to feeding some starving people. That is a very ignorant and short sighted view however.

This type of exploration and science is what makes people interested in science in general and further it. Science will feed many more people than the money a space mission costs.

In particular, this type of thing is good for children and young people. It inspires them to want to learn the math and sciences. If you would ask the people who have made the most ‘beneficial’ advancements in science how they started the path that brought them, I imagine it would have been an interest in useless and expensive science.
Srs2388
I don't see a logical reason at all...
because the money spent on that could be spent in a much better way
EX. a cure for cancer
what would be better to be found, a cure for cancer or discovering a mineral on the moon that is also on the earth?
horseatingweeds
Srs2388 wrote:
I don't see a logical reason at all...
because the money spent on that could be spent in a much better way
EX. a cure for cancer
what would be better to be found, a cure for cancer or discovering a mineral on the moon that is also on the earth?

Didn't you read any of the earlier posts?
myspace
I have to agree with you 100%. But we humans are curios, we live to learn we take problems and we solve them. As long as there are rich people there will be funds to explore space. Russia had space tourism jumping off years ago. Confused
sheshgiri
i think it was a waste of money and time. They should explore the moon using other non human techniques. As far as a mars mission is concerned, it makes sen se since there are chances of life there due to it being a planet and not a natural satellite ... i dont know...
Captain Stupid
Really.. I just think they wanted to say they went to the moon.
myspace
It seems like it was race between two hard headed people. Smile
eldarian
Yes, it was the race between USA and USSR. Stalin won the space race on the first stage (Gagarin was the first man in space), but american president (I don't remember, what was his name... Kennedy?) denied Stalin to win the Moon.
myspace
Stalin past away 15 years before Gagarin visited the moon.
I think it was Nikkita Hrushev during that time in 1968.
eldarian
Aw yes, Hrushev... I don't know history of USSR very good.
leat397
Apperently and immediately, I also think there is no point to send men to the moon, that place would never (to recent knowledge..) suitable to live for human.
However, something may still be explore from the moon. e.g. the changes of the Universe. No objection is that the Moon is the nearest and most easiest way to have a glance of the outer space. I could imagine that when the time human could reach a more remote planet, they must be able to manifest the moon easily, e.g. build up a livable environment on the moon. alter it's route/ speed of rotations etc....once we can do it, we must be able to reach, or even live at any planet in this galaxy...

well....I 've gone too far....
henrygl
The only point i see is if anything happens to earth, to save our future generatons; like krypton! Laughing
N!Ce
Bondings wrote:
jb2_86_uk wrote:

They placed mirrors on the moon, being used to reflect laser light to measure the precise distance between the moon and the earth. You can hardly fake those I guess. Wink

Have you seen them on your moon trip? Razz
There are many other ways to measure the distance.

I am not sure either, rather 50/50. But seeing all the arguements I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out, no one has ever been on the moon. :f
eldarian
curiosity... disaster of all humanity...
horseatingweeds
Hey everyone, this subject is a good mechanism.

If:

1. You don’t understand why man goes to space or the moon.
2. You don’t believe the US actually went to the moon and staged it.

This means you are an ignoramus and need to do something about it!!!

Read a couple BOOKS.

Take a glimpse at the NEWS.

BEFORE YOU SLAP UP YOUR IGNORAMIA ON OUR FORUM READ THE ENTIRE SUBJECT FIRST…….
fribee
And whats about the 500 Million tons of Helium3 they found over there?

The element, which can solve the terrestric energy problems for centuries ahead?

And how about the strategic location for new (future) weapons to fight wars more relaxed for our great zionist community? Imagine, strong lasers from the moon wipe out the bad hezbollah at once..!

But on the other hand, we never know, whether it was a hoax, and they haven't been there at all! Where is the proof for the mirrors, they placed there? I can't see them! Anybody thinking logic?
If there were mirrors for whatever reasons, they should face earth, non? But then they would reflect the sun light as well, because it also goes the same direction! So? Did everybody see some brighter spots through his telescope? All nonsense, I guess, they have never been there!

Was just a hollywood hoax, like everything they pretend to do....
Bondings
fribee wrote:
If there were mirrors for whatever reasons, they should face earth, non? But then they would reflect the sun light as well, because it also goes the same direction! So? Did everybody see some brighter spots through his telescope? All nonsense, I guess, they have never been there!

It is not a normal mirror, but a cubical one reflecting all light to exactly the same location it comes from. So sun light is reflected back to the sun. A laser is sending light to it (and because of the distance the width of the laser is over a kilometer of width) and the light that falls on the surface is reflected. By measuring the time it takes for the light to come back, the distance between the earth and the moon is measured up to a few millimeters. N!Ce, this is the most precise way to do it at the moment.
fribee
Thanks for the nice explanation,
but still I doubt the existence.

At least at fullmoon, means when the earth
is in between the sun-moon opposition, there
should be some brighter spots visible!

But I never saw one, or even heard of them!

I also can't imagine how these cubical mirrors
should work! In my opinion only spherial-mirrors
would do the job of reflecting back to the source,
like in discos, non?

Maybe you know a link to these invention?
Thx

Fribee
kwolee89
There was point to it. It shows how advanced the human race is. We will eventually have to do this thing anyways for benefits. The benefits include: 1) getting more living space 2) leaving the planet once the planet becomes unlivable
windrei
Of course, there is no point. As the US scientists had proved, there are no lives and the elements essential for lives on moon. So, humans cannot migrate to there actually. Let's go to the Mars, to see is there any hopes.
Sharkbite86
whats all this about going to the moon had no purpose?! Thats crazy lol of course we had a reason! I mean we learned alot about the moons surface and what it was made of. That all helps when figuring out if it really is a chunk of the earth etc.

To go there again I think is important as well because we can use it as a launching platform to go to mars and elsewhere. On top of that astronomers drool at the thought of putting a huge/gargantuan telescope on the moon so we can learn even more about the universe. I mean the moon is really just a steping stone to test what we got, and from there maybe we can go anywhere! Very Happy .
Sharkbite86
windrei wrote:
Of course, there is no point. As the US scientists had proved, there are no lives and the elements essential for lives on moon. So, humans cannot migrate to there actually. Let's go to the Mars, to see is there any hopes.

Just because there is no vegetation there does not mean we cant still live there lol. I mean humans could live on mars, but they would simply need to grow all the food and whatnot inside and live in bubbles :p . I have even heard some wild stuff about maybe terraforming the planet... But thats a bit far fetched because the planet is too small to hold onto a thick atmosphere.

But one can always wish :p ...
Agent ME
eldarian wrote:
curiosity... disaster of all humanity...

Without curiousity, we'd never have discovered electricity or invented computers, or found the Americas... heck, I don't think we'd be too different from apes without curiousity.
jobzunlimited
i dont think that there is any means in spending billions of dollars/ rupees in programs to visit moon.
ya it would be alright that if there was atmosphere where we can live in after alll with population growing exponentially we need to explore space for more space.
that weay it is alright.
but exploring moon is too much now.
right now india is investing billions in moon exploration , what are we trying to achieve... people have already reached moon earlier and there is nothing much that is needed to be explored now.
instead govenment could have spent those money in betterment of infrastructure and living.
but our politicians will never do this
Agent ME
The idea of space exploration, or at least my idea, is to explore to find data which can be used to progress technology, find other life, and colonize other worlds. Obviously the latter two won't happen for a lonnnggg time, but if we stop space exploration now saying there's no use, then we'll never get to the point.

It'd be like someone seriously joining a basketball team so they can try and win a big game, but not going to any practices because there's no immediate reward. Even if there is no immediate reward, it sets the foundation for later and greater things.
the666bbq
what if ... they did went to the moon, and did find a cure for diseases, and find a way to efficiently transport goods and people over space distances ... maybe than the talks would be more : good they did and not 'why do they even bother'

it's the whole damn basic of every science : you spent practically a whole lifetime studying some silly thing, and than when you are near dead you conclude something and it could be a positive thing but for the same effort it could be even more trivial or even meaningless than you had hoped
alkady
@the666bbq

Yes I agree with you there, But the exploration of the Moon was just in a sense a stunt to show off to the Russians. Not to really feed our curiousity (Maybe for those who actually worked on the program).
eqfan
i think no easy way now.mt have a nice and easy way tommorrow Smile
Karrde
We had to find out for sure whether or not the moon was made of cheese.

You see, not many people know this, but we were on the brink of a worldwide cheese shortage 40 years ago. The Russians and the Americans knew this, and the race to the moon was to secure the vast cheese supplies for themselves, and thus become the world's primary cheese supplying nation, guaranteeing economic supremacy for decades to come.

Of course, this idea was shattered when the Americans arrived and found that, in fact, the moon is NOT made of cheese. NASA then officially changed their name to National Aeronautics and Space Association - they were originally the National Association for Stilton Acquisition - so as not to make themselves look like fools, and claimed that the moon mission was for other purposes.

A small contingent of NASA scientists still work in the ultra-secret cheese division, intent on the theory that the cheese may be deep under the surface of the moon. Other scientists have theorised that Mars may be in fact the cheese planet, and are eagerly awaiting their chance to investigate the possibilities the red planet may hold for them.
kd5nrh
Srs2388 wrote:
EX. a cure for cancer

How much does the cure for cancer cost?
Where does one buy it?

Why are we wasting so much money on testing things that don't cure cancer in the name of searching for a cure? It would go much more quickly if we only tested the thing that actually cures it.

It's called research and exploration. Nobody knew what would be found there until somebody went and looked.
jcvincent
I don't really know about that. If the US really landed on the moon. But in some instances, other American scientists even doubt if they really landed on the moon. Other evidences that they presented were showed in exposed, I think about 6-7 years ago.

Russian scientists also claims that the space suit is not capable of protecting astronauts from space. I think because of the sun (I'm not really sure).

Well all I know is that, I never got the chance to see the moon landing. Too bad. I just hope we Filipinos can land on a heavenly body (I hope bodies) some day.

The moon landing is not that important. As long as there is world peace, who cares?
NatetheGreat
I personally think we did do it for more of a "showing off" purpose, but I do think it did have some benefits. We learned a lot about tech, space, etc. But since I'm a Christian and don't believe aliens exist, and we won't have to escape to another planet since God is going to come back before how many millions of years, I think it was mostly a waste of money. A way to big waste of money, seeing as were trillions of dollars in debt, AND in (my humble opinion) a useless war that's taking millions of dollars. I think we need to stick inside our own borders and try to figure out our own problems before trying to fix other people's problems and fly to the moon.

Just MHO. Razz
Bondings
fribee wrote:
Maybe you know a link to these invention?

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroreflector .
Sharkbite86
NatetheGreat wrote:
I personally think we did do it for more of a "showing off" purpose, but I do think it did have some benefits. We learned a lot about tech, space, etc. But since I'm a Christian and don't believe aliens exist, and we won't have to escape to another planet since God is going to come back before how many millions of years, I think it was mostly a waste of money. A way to big waste of money, seeing as were trillions of dollars in debt, AND in (my humble opinion) a useless war that's taking millions of dollars. I think we need to stick inside our own borders and try to figure out our own problems before trying to fix other people's problems and fly to the moon.

Just MHO. Razz

We are in debt now because of iraq and other misgivings not because of space exploration... I personally believe there are aliens somewhere in the universe, and to think otherwise is just not logical. The universe is so much bigger than anyone can possibly imagine, its just insane, myself included. Scientists think that the very farthest we can see in the universe, what they call the visible universe, is only a small part of the actually universe, and that it is much much larger than that. This is because the light from farther out has not even reached us yet!

So my point is this. If we stop exploring space now just because it's too expensive or because it's a waste of time, then we will simply never go anywhere. It is part of human nature to explore. If we just stop then how are we to evolve in our understanding of anything and everything?

Yes the moon in the 1970s was probably and mostly a stunt. But how do you explain all the other trips there after Apollo 11? There is more to the moon than what we can see from earth, so I want to go there again...
Zaini
Definetely nooooo...the money is better spend in making the world a better place. Why do we want to go to somewhere where theer is nothing for human kind to benefit or do.

There is nothing on the moon that can help man kind. Spend the money to help African famime or to help Indonesia with their natural disaster, or India with so many street kids, or Lebanon where kids and woman are suffering from unneccesary war.

Why do anybody want to spend so much money to go to the moon. Are we gonna build a civilisation there ? Better spend the money in making world a better place. Spend the money to help the environment... Heal the Earth !
Xavier
Yes definitely there was!
Man has always been in search of the truth & discovering the strange world around him!
Setting foot on the Moon paved the path for many space missions & discoveries! Moon is no longer a distant piece of mass....... we know all that once man could only wonder to know! Our future generations will be proud of us for such a step & definitely go ahead & explore more planets!
NatetheGreat
Sharkbite86 wrote:
NatetheGreat wrote:

Just MHO. Razz

We are in debt now because of iraq and other misgivings not because of space exploration... I personally believe there are aliens somewhere in the universe, and to think otherwise is just not logical. The universe is so much bigger than anyone can possibly imagine, its just insane, myself included. Scientists think that the very farthest we can see in the universe, what they call the visible universe, is only a small part of the actually universe, and that it is much much larger than that. This is because the light from farther out has not even reached us yet!

I didn't say our planet is the only planet with life, I'm just saying that I believe the only life that exists is the life God created, and I don't believe he'll let sinful humans make contact with perfect beings from other galaxies. And I also wasn't saying that the Space Program is the main cause of our huge debt, but any unneeded spending is a factor, IMO.
fribee
What is also very interesting is the fact, that since the first moon landings, nobody was interested anymore to go there.

So maybe the rumors of the faked landings have some core.....

For me the moon is something very interesting, since I found out, that it always shows the same side to earth and has the same (relative) size of the sun, f. i. if you think of a sun eclipse!
How comes? It doesn't rotate, so maybe it is bound in some kind of magnetic energy field to earth? All the planets are rotating, whats about
moons in general`? The ones from Jupiter or Uranus? Are they also standing still?

And why the (relativ) size equity to the sun? It could be much smaller or only a bit, so that we never would see a real full sun eclipse!

Imagine! So maybe it was god's intention to do so? I saw one eclipse in my life in 1999 in Austria, it was terrific! 4 minutes in complete darkness in 3.000 meters and then the dawn to daylight in skip forward speed.....
NatetheGreat
fribee wrote:
What is also very interesting is the fact, that since the first moon landings, nobody was interested anymore to go there.

So maybe the rumors of the faked landings have some core.....

Or it could just be they reached their objective, to reach the moon before Russia did, and now have no reason to go back. Wink
bluefossil
No Way, They are not gonna cure cancer. they make too much on the so called treatments. the governments secretly use cancer to control population growth around the world. The US has a secret military base on the moon. They have used it to find cures for hundreds of known diseases. So in essence it is worth it because we have cures for diseases we may not have had otherwise, but since they don't share it, you could easily say it was not.

-My conspiracy side.

I really have no clue. if the feat promotes future space travel, I say it was all worth it. but since it has been over 30 years and I don't remember much good happening besides probes and telescopes reaching into the far depts of space.

- Me
TeenZine
I think the point of exploring other planets may be because of nummerous things like

Global warning: in case they have to save the important people LIKE ME !
To explor and find out new medicins: I think there are a few plants that mite like cure cancer up there that we dont know about.

MOre latter im tired.
Aiz
I support the ego theory.

Men had, throughout history, wasted money, labor, and lives to demonstrated their superiority in relations to fellow man and other living beings. (Pyramids are the first to popup in my mind) And to humans, more accomplishments = bigger ego = more power(in their own mind at least).

Men's innate tendencies to compete with each are and hunger for power are the motives in most conflicts, the Iraq issue included >.>

Oh well, maybe all that money, blownup space shuttles, and dead astronauts will worth something in the end
N!Ce
horseatingweeds wrote:
Read a couple BOOKS.

I've read, seen and heard a lot about it, that's why there are a bunch of doubts.
But as I said, I am on 50/50, hence there is still 50% of a chance that someone actually landed on the moon Mr. Green
Soulfire
I guess it doesn't matter - I personally think the entire thing is pretty cool. It would be even better to get people to Mars. I suppose I agree with the whole "ego" thing. We just wanted to prove to the USSR that we were superior, and throughout the entire space race, humans in space was a highly desired goal.
Hylian-Knight
In my mind it was a good thing, It gave a nation hope(Well I'm British but whatever) But it was also done as a ego boost.
ankur.vatsa
A few days back, in an Indian news-paper (The Times of India), there was a news that a couple had bought some land on the moon from some company.

I guess, with the property prices rising so very high and with no more residential land for humans, sending men to moon will soon prove good. We humans have already spoiled the ecology of 'mother earth', to save and replenish it we must leave her alone. And hopefully, the lessons learnt at home must be remembered and applied to at the moon.

Thanks
wowz
You've all got it wrong. We HAVE to send people to the moon and other planets.. because we're going to have to expand to them when we over populate the earth. There will be an apocalypse and we'll all live wonderful lives on other planets with a most comical outcome...
Possibly everyone swearing in cantonese... low tech, but high tech... with psychics...
Or maybe we'll meet aliens that look very much like us and all speak english... good possibility there...
Or we could find a portal...
Maybe we'll reach the end of space and.. turn around and head back..

ANYway...

Where does NASA get it's funding? Is it all government? Cuz... if I was american, I'd go more for the er.. cancer research... than the moonmen...
I mean, sure there is a cure for cancer in space.. deprive it of oxygen and it will die.. but then, so will the patient.. oops!

Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid amateur astrologer... but let's take care of the problems here first? Smile k?
a.Bird
Honestly, if we hadn't ever stepped foot into space to explore the moon, I don't see when we would have had any desire to send satellites in orbit to transmit waves that we're using to broadcast our connection to the internet and to this website. How can anyone using this website and taking part in this discussion disagree with our trip to the moon?

And just as a sidebar, we are all actually floating in space as we speak. We call our planet "Earth" and everything around it "space" but we are still composed of matter that is occupying space in space. We are the universe, and blasting off in rockets away from our home planet is just exploring more of it.
wowz
actually...
the internet is pretty much grounded... very few satalite net providers.. and they aren't that great...

satalite = tv, which i can live without... we'd have cable either way... so...

we'd pretty much be in the same spot Smile

and yes, we're all aware that we're doing summersaults at insane speeds... because we live on earth.. which is a planet, in space... i'd rather not believe that there are people that don't know that (among the somewhat educated that is)
sonicj
Nice topic. I have not read all the replies, but here are my thoughts. YES it was well worth it. Many things have sprung up from this single endeavor. What if Christopher Columbus and all the other sea voyagers did not embark on their explorations? You could also say they did it for greed. But alot of good came from it. Could we have a cure for cancer if we had used all the money that was spent on space exploration? I doubt it. It is not always about the money. Some of the greatest discoveries were on a shoestring budget. The cure for cancer will probably come someday. The moon was just a stepping stone. I personally hope to see us venture out more.
Karl
Last time some people went to the moon there was a lot of spin-of inventions like teflon, so this time you could expect that the nano-composite materials would take a giant leap forward for mankind again.

More spinoffs at http://space.about.com/od/toolsequipment/ss/apollospinoffs_3.htm
roadruner
there's probbaly no actual use
though the research might help us escape from earth once we completely destroy it :/
you never know, everything can be useful Smile
chasbeen
I was 12 when the first moon landing happened. It was amazing. however if you'd have told me then that we'd got no further by 2006 I would not have believed you.
Rico
The same reason you wanted to get out of your playpen when you were two, or wanted to explore the garden when you were four or wanted to ride a bicycle when you were eight. Stuff is there to do, we were made to want to do them.
Insanity
I actually think there could be better uses for the money.
a.Bird
Insanity wrote:
I actually think there could be better uses for the money.
I thought it was their money? As far as I know, there isn't a NASA tax.
benwhite
Come on, you know some socialist separatists will eventually colonize the moon and live out their unified lives in communes....it's only a matter of time. We were just preparing for shipping them off back then.
Da Rossa
datter wrote:

datter

Simple:
The moment was: the cold war. The US needed to impress the USSR and the world, doing it would be a perfect way to demonstrate power and technology. Also, it was a step. You may agree or not, but necessarily the man will have to dominate the aerospace technology and knowledge about the elements of our Solar System. Why not to begin it as soon as possible?