FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kevin Smith vs Joel Sigel

todabeat
Apperently Mr. Joel Sigel a movie critic for ABC, walked out on the premier for Clerks 2, and ranted some bad words about the movies, and some FUNNY chaos came out. There was a phone conversation over a radio station with Kevin and Joel, very FUNNY stuff

http://www.viewaskew.com/kevin/joelsiegel.mp3

if you just want to read about it go to
http://silentbobspeaks.com
Kaneda
Can't lose more respect for Joel Siegel who probably takes the prize as most worthless American film critic (which is saying a lot). I can lose more respect for Kevin Smith, though, and I did. I like his films, they're great fun, most of them have lots of flaws, but they're fun, sometimes they manage to reveal philosophical and existential depth through the humour, and at least one of them is a rather important hallmark in American film history. And Kevin also has a point calling Siegel's behaviour unprofessional.

However, Smith isn't exactly the person to call anyone else unprofessional, while he's spending immense amounts of time ridiculing publicly anyone who doesn't agree with him, coming up with additional pieces of dirt rather than sticking to the point, and then blowing things way out of proportion.

Moustache jokes, reciting Siegel's headlines to reveal bad puns, references about "sucking M Night's ****", sure, that has a lot to do with the issue at hand, Kevin... Bringing Siegel's cancer into the mix is just completely out of nowhere - to show that Smith doesn't "hate the guy" - what does that have to do with anything, whether he likes the guy or not? It's just bad taste and childish behaviour.

I'm exceedingly hard to offend, and I don't much care what Smith thinks of Siegel and what words he uses to express his thoughts. As a matter of fact, yes, I found the whole phone interview pretty funny. However, this is just one more example that Smith. Will. Not. Grow. Up. In the negative sense of the word. There's a difference between letting yourself be a child at times (which more people should do), and being chronically infantile. Especially if you want to be taken seriously, which Kevin, judging from his tone of voice, clearly wants to in this case.

And he will not let it go. We'll be sure to see a Siegel reference in his next film. Razz
todabeat
But you got to admit that, the call was hilarious. I mean it's Kevin's job to be funny and act like a kid. But it doesn't give Joel the right but be an idiot.

Whatever, i really loved that radio spot. hiliarious.
GProject
todabeat wrote:
Apperently Mr. Joel Sigel a movie critic for ABC, walked out on the premier for Clerks 2, and ranted some bad words about the movies, and some FUNNY chaos came out.

Just to clarify, it wasn't the premiere, it was just a critics screening - but that doesn't make it ok.

A pretty funny story really because it's probably had the opposite effect to that intended. Joel Siegel has managed to draw more attention to this movie by providing it with publicity than if he'd just left quietly and given it a bad review later.

On a side note, I'm really looking foward to seeing Clerks 2. I hope it doesn't take to long to make it over to the UK.
Kaneda
GProject wrote:
On a side note, I'm really looking foward to seeing Clerks 2. I hope it doesn't take to long to make it over to the UK.

Must admit we cheated - won't be released here until mid-next year, more than likely. At which time I'll see it in the theater too (and most likely buy it on DVD - just to keep the New Jersey trilo... er... hexology complete). So, bearing in mind that Smith's usual cinematography (or whatever you'll call it) won't call for pristine image quality, we watched a cam version instead.

It's hilarious. Almost lives up to the original. Has flaws as always, but Elias' "Pillowpants" speech backed by the Dies Irae sequence from the score of The Shining - ingenious. Jay going "Lord?" when Becky shouts from the roof... Randal's mission to "take it back"... So many funny moments (tried not to spoil any of them Wink) Smile

todabeat wrote:
But you got to admit that, the call was hilarious.

Already did:
Kaneda wrote:
I'm exceedingly hard to offend, and I don't much care what Smith thinks of Siegel and what words he uses to express his thoughts. As a matter of fact, yes, I found the whole phone interview pretty funny.

Wink