FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu

haloguy
Is there anyone around who uses ubuntu?

Im looking to get some linux experience, and it looks very user friendly, and basic enough for a first time Linuxer.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!
alkady
I'm not much into Linux, But I'd suggest Fedora Core 5, I like that Distro Better.

Anyways, My friend is a avid Linux user and if their is a tip I can give you, It's get OpenOffice and any Freeware out there that is of use.
Philip
haloguy wrote:

Im looking to get some linux experience, and it looks very user friendly, and basic enough for a first time Linuxer.

Thanks!

i don't use it but,
i hear that ubuntu is familiar linux, that for newbee user for linux.
Smile
djclue917
haloguy wrote:

Thanks!

I'm an Ubuntu user since August 2005. Well, technically, I'm an Ubuntu user even though I haven't used it since October 2005. I'm using Kubuntu which is essentially Ubuntu - GNOME + KDE.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that Ubuntu is really that user-friendly. Why did I say so? Ubuntu comes only with free software which means that, out-of-the-box, it doesn't contain anything proprietary in it.

Which means that, out-of-the-box:
1. You won't be able to view/play any multimedia content which user proprietary formats like MP3, etc.
2. You won't be able to view Flash movies in Firefox/Konqueror.
3. Winmodems are will not work 100% of the time since they need a driver to be able to function.
4. Hardware graphics acceleration isn't available by default.

Because of these problems, you will have to deal with the command line. However, since Ubuntu ships with very informative and easy-to-follow documentation, doing stuff will be as simple as copying and pasting a command from the User Manual.

If you really like Linux distros which have a lot of GUI tools, you might want to try Xandros or Linspire. These Linux distros contain proprietary software. On the bright side, almost none of the things I mentioned above would bother you.

BTW, what I really love about Ubuntu is its very predictable release and support cycle. I'm really into bleeding- or cutting-edge software that's why Ubuntu's 6-month release cycle is a plus factor for me.
manumiglani
I would suggest you to go with Xandros.......... It is one of the best user friendly Linux distros out there........

You can download xandros from here http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_download.html
vicarious
I like Ubuntu. Simple, and easy to use. I like the fact that it is Debian based, so that if you want to move on to a less limited distro you can tap into the .deb repositories and even update you dapper to Sarge if you wish (I believe this is true). I do know that when it is time to upgrade your Ubuntu OS it is as simple as a click of a mouse. As for getting video and etc.. going, it shouldn't take you all that much to get it up and running. As for the winmodems, get a Robotics external or go with braodband. Esp. with Linux, a broadband connection can make the difference from having the Linux world at your fingertips and cursing 36 hour update downloads. Have fun and do no harm.
kany
I tried to use ubuntu as well. But got a problem during partitioning and uptill now as the setup reaches that point . It simply halts , so i am not yet albe to test ubuntu . Although i have run the live cd but its so slow . and has no access priviliages that you can't feel it properly.
photographerguy
I like it better than some of the other distros I've tried.
I'm new at linux, it is a nice looking, fairy easy to use distro.
I can't get my wireless working on my laptop, it has been frustrating.

Plus Ubuntu has a good community with lots of help/info on the forums.
bsrkaditya
Ubuntu is not all user friendly for a person with no idea about linux.

Go for Mandriva, it will do you better... if you are just migrating to linux. Technically, even Ubuntu will also can do that, but unless you have someone using Ubuntu as a steady distro for a neigbour try Manriva. Even It goes for a predictable 1 yr release. Once you
become a little comfortable, shift for Fredora ... or Ubuntu.
ashik
I use Ubuntu.. And I feel it's the best linux distribution among what I have used so far.
rein
Ubuntu IS a user friendly distro, make no mistake abuot that. Sure, it can't do a lot when you first install it but the ubuntu forums are an extremely good help when it comes to finding a solution to -pretty much- anything you want to do.
With everything accessible through a user-friendly interface i'd recommend Ubuntu (for a first linux-dive) above all others.
FunFunkyFritz
I like distros where you can optimize the code for your specific platform.
Is there a way to build the entire ubuntu system from scratch, i.e. using source code packages?

/Gentoo user
wicke
I use Kubuntu. It's Ubuntu but it's default graphic desktop isn't Gnome. It's KDE. Anyway, I have currently both.
ramesh_nim
Hey,
I am also using Ubuntu for one year.
I got free CDs from the Ubuntu.

I am using graphic versio..
JayBee
haloguy wrote:
... for a first time Linuxer. ...

Every distro is basic enough to confuse you. Use the first one you found and learn the basics about linux.
Than you will know, what distro is for you (what isn't in you distro, what stile of work do you prefer - click/type, how much space do you have - limit/"unlimit", how fast is you PC, ...)

My long journey was
=> Red Head and White Box and later CentOS (throw SSH - only console)
=> Fedora Core 2
=> SuSe 7 (it was great, but not on my computer Sad )
=> Fedora Core 4
=> Ubuntu (very very short time - horible expirience with helplessness to take control of my PC, to switch off all of graphical horriblenesses, speed up booting and working and so on)
=> Gentoo 2005.0 (without any instalator Smile ) till now
falconfx
I have been using Ubuntu since its first release version and found it very fast and easy to use. Though I think there's an easier Linux distro you can try: SuSE Linux 10.1 (the 10.2 version is still in an alpha stage Crying or Very sad ).

By the way, I suggest you to learn the base commandline programs (such cat, cd, ls, cp, mv, rm, ...) and then how to use the GUI (KDE, Gnome, Xfce, ...) because GUIs evolve every day and change with every distro but console programs remain the same Wink
avk
I HAVE USED UBUNTU 5.10 AND EVEM 6.06

ACTUALLY I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL 6.06 AND WHILE TRYING TO DO SO MY SYSTEM BECAM TOTALLY VULNERABLE AND ALL MY PARTITIONS WERE DELETED.. SO I HAVE TURNED TO WINDOWS AGAIN.. AND I THINK THAT UBUNTU IS A RUBBISH TING TO USE..

BUT FRDORA OR SUSE WOULD BE GOOD..NOT USED THEM YET BUT HAVE HEARD A LOT.
umeshtangnu
haloguy wrote:

Thanks!

i have used ubuntu 5.1 and 6.0 and it a user friendly distro, make no mistake abuot that. Sure when you first install it you will mostly screw ur system but the ubuntu forums are an extremely good help .also u can get ubuntu cd at your home with no extra charges
djclue917
avk wrote:
ACTUALLY I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL 6.06 AND WHILE TRYING TO DO SO MY SYSTEM BECAM TOTALLY VULNERABLE AND ALL MY PARTITIONS WERE DELETED.. SO I HAVE TURNED TO WINDOWS AGAIN.. AND I THINK THAT UBUNTU IS A RUBBISH TING TO USE..

That's just plain stupidity. The installer can't delete your partitions automatically. You still have to give the go signal before the installer does anything. You've deleted them and it's your fault. Don't ever call a Linux distro a rubbish just because your partitions got deleted because of you.
myworld
I have fedora core 5 and it was a breeze to install and even detected my network without me having to do any configuration.

User friendly in that you don't have to get your hands too dirty with the command line which anyone coming from windows will take fright at.

Stanton Finley does an excellent guide which will take you right through the installation of fedora core and essential programs and this has been indespensible for me as someone who is only a linux newbie. The installation can be run full graphic mode which is makes things easier to understand if you are switching from Windows and have no prior linux/unix experience.
avk
djclue917 wrote:
avk wrote:

That's just plain stupidity. The installer can't delete your partitions automatically. You still have to give the go signal before the installer does anything. You've deleted them and it's your fault. Don't ever call a Linux distro a rubbish just because your partitions got deleted because of you.

I had just accepeted to install linux on the partion created for linux.. nothing more than that..
But the result was real bad
Svarn
Fedora has a longer history and better support imho. I am intrigued by Ubuntu though and think trying either would be a good thing.
{name here}
Fedora is beta quality software(that's why there are releases left and right while other distros take longer to develop). It basically is a cespool of things that may or may not get into the next version of the stable OS Red Hat.

Ubuntu is not my cup of tea since I've been so used to a classic Unix layout(su not sudo). But, if you truely want to learn Unix, you must get something at a medium level distro(not as easy as Fedora, but not as hard as Gentoo).

Thus, I reccomend you get FreeBSD, since you will have to tweak some of the basics(just the sound card model, the default GUI if you want one, and an optional boot splash) and work from a CLI after the install(meaning you will have to learn the Bourne Shell, Vi, and using make to compile source code, install the application, and delete the source code), before you get a desktop working.
cinthia
I have some experience using Linux... i've tried Centos, Suse, Novell Linux Desktop (almost the same as Suse), Ubuntu and Kubuntu... In my opinion Suse, Novell, Ubuntu and kubuntu are really good... I didn't like Centos. Ubuntu comes with a genome desktop, and Kubuntu comes with a KDE desktop... ubuntu also offers the posibility to have a Edubuntu, special for education... it's very interesting...
IceNinjaa
i want to use some form of linux on my laptop. its a dell. ive used ubuntu a little bit but wondering what else would be for a dual core laptop
justin25514
Philip wrote:
haloguy wrote:

Thanks!

i don't use it but,
i hear that ubuntu is familiar linux, that for newbee user for linux.
Smile

i know people that ar using redhat and ubuntu so it is not for newbee's
deathwingpnx
I used Ubuntu since the Warthy release. The reason that I love this OS is its completely free, has a definite meaning and purpose which is to help one another, yes its not perfect, but grows even better after each release and adding features therefore making it greater and has a complete documentation and support.
BrainCracked
Ubuntu is cool, but ther some other plattforms with are better than ubuntu. du you know kubuntu? thats ubuntu with KDE and not gnome.
Teragonto
Im just a Windows user, but I suggest gett Linux Knoppix. Its dabomb and has millions of software w/it! Get it at http://www.knopper.net.