FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

svchost.exe

IceNinjaa
is it common to have 10 instances of this process running at a time? that and they have varying amounts of memory that they take up.

another question i have is how can i find out what i dont need to have running at startup cuz currently, i have 60 processes running. Embarassed
Traveller
Usually, I only have five svchost processes, and have seen some systems with six, but having more could be an indication of a virus, trojan, or keylogger.

Download the free program "Process Explorer" to get a much more detailed view of the processes that are running on your system. Also (from the same site), get "Autoruns" to find out a very detailed listing of what happens to your system on startup.
Bones
IceNinjaa wrote:
is it common to have 10 instances of this process running at a time? that and they have varying amounts of memory that they take up.

another question i have is how can i find out what i dont need to have running at startup cuz currently, i have 60 processes running. Embarassed

I wouldn't worry about the svchosts that are running. Every pc has a different number depending on what they have installed, although a virus scan is never a bad idea. Svchost.exe is just a process that handles a lot of the low level functions of the pc.
To check your startup items, click start-run type in msconfig-<enter>
In the system config utility click the startup tab and go through the list of startup items. You can look up the startup items here
http://startup.networktechs.com/ to see what they are.

Then you just need to make a decision on which items to leave enabled and which ones to disable
LethcanAernis
This is classic.

If you want to know what the different svchost do, run in cmd:

tasklist /svc

Check all the PID:s and what they do.

Start Task Manager (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) and add the column PID in view and delete those you don't want to use.

Be careful , a lot of system in your computer use svchost.. like NTP, DHCP, remote registry etc etc..

10 svchost sounds way to much! I should check how they all get started by sysinternals startup etc.. like I read above.. good tips.
prongs_386
i'd sugest you have alot of services running which you do not actually require.
you can view them by going to run->services.msc
for instance, i dont use a wireless card so i can turnoff the "wireless zero configuration"
there are many more that you don't need and i suggest finding the ones you won't be using and stopping them
tamilchild
go to
windows settings --> control panel --> administrative tools -->

services --> then click Remote Procedure call(RPC) start the service
dan751
It is normal to see 5 or 6 instances of the svchost.exe process running, but not 10. It is most likely you could have a virus. What I recommend to eliminate any viruses or spyware, is to boot in safe mode (Without networking), and then run your anti-virus/anti-spyware software. Booting in safe mode without networking, only loads processes which are necessary for fixing Windows. In the end, you shouldn't be seeing any more than 6 instances of the svchost.exe process.