FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

tar.gz decommpressing!!!!!! Realy annoying me

ncwdavid
I got this script that has 4 files in tar.gz form and I have searcged google looking for ways to decommpress them but they don't work! What do you use to decommpress your tar.gz files that always works?

Plus why are they in tar.gz instead of zip the common one? Thank You
S3nd K3ys
7-zip. It decompresses everything.

tar.gz is typically used in open source app distribution, and is very popular with linux.
Traveller
ncwdavid wrote:
Plus why are they in tar.gz instead of zip the common one? Thank You

The gzip (gz) compression is pretty much the most-common, standard compression format for files under Unix and its variants (e.g. Linux). Even though Linux does have the ability to handle zip files, gzip has much better compression rates, so the people who have access to gzip usually don't want to bother with the inferior zip.

In addition to having better single-file compression rates, gzip has another advantage over zip. With gzip, you first combine all the files together into a single archive using "tar," then compress the "tarball" with gzip (actually, nowadays, this is done automatically by the "z" option of tar, but this is still what takes place). With zip, each file is compressed, then added to an archive afterward. Once you understand the principles of data compression, you realize that the tar.gz approach will generate smaller files, since it only needs to generate a single hash table (instead of one for each file - which would take up extra space) and is better able to fit the most common patterns into the earlier positions in the hash table, thus resulting in smaller final archives.

In addition to the program already mentioned (with which I am not familiar), you could also try WinRAR, which I have found to be very reliable.
ncwdavid
S3nd K3ys wrote:
7-zip. It decompresses everything.

tar.gz is typically used in open source app distribution, and is very popular with linux.

I have dragged and dropped one of the files in 7-zip and a thing came up on the screen with loads of stuff about how you want to change it and I left everything as it was and clicked ok and it just changed the file to something.tar.7z

What file type should I change it to? here are the requirements for installing the script:

System Requirements

* Perl 5
* Sendmail
* PERL MODULES LISTED BELOW (not too hard to install)
* Expect.pm
* IO-Stty-.02.tar.gz
* IO-Tty-0.03.tar.gz
* IO-1.20.tar.gz
* Requires dedicated server

What should I do?
Traveller
ncwdavid wrote:
System Requirements

* Perl 5
* Sendmail
* PERL MODULES LISTED BELOW (not too hard to install)
* Expect.pm
* IO-Stty-.02.tar.gz
* IO-Tty-0.03.tar.gz
* IO-1.20.tar.gz
* Requires dedicated server

What should I do?

All things considered, the big, first question is: do you have a dedicated server, or is this something you are trying to use on FriHost or some other shared server? If the package you wish to install requires a dedicated server but you are hosted on a shared server, you may not wish to devote any more time to figuring out this package.
ncwdavid
What is frihost? A shared server?