FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Registry corrupt

chaly133
i recently just got back from visting my dad for a month and a half. when i boot up my computer i got a corrupt registry screen for a split second then it restart. i knew what it was because a blue screen flashed after 2 of the loading bars went by. i had this problem before and i think the only way to fix it is to reformat.

my question is that when i get my new computer soon. can i boot from a new HDD and hook this one up as a slave and copy all the files off it and then reformat it. i have tons of music and Photoshop files on there that i really need.

what other options are there
otiscom
Yes set the old one up as slave.
Switch on computer and copy over the files you need.
Reformat the old drive and that's it.
lookahead
Yes when u buy ur new computer u can use your old hard drive as a slave and copy all the files u require.Ur old drive shud be set as a slave and ur new
computer hard drive as Master. U can see the hard drive manual for how to set a hard drive as slave or master.AL u hav to do is to adjust the jumper to change a hard drive from master to slave.
stoned_spirit
yes , its possible ..

else , befor having the new computer , run a system reinstallation , it can correct your problem ..

good luck Smile
Sunny
Other options....Hmmm...If you have windows xp, you can try to start the pc in safe mode and run restore utlity to retsore your pc to previous date when it was working fine.
Bones
A corrupt registry can be fixed without a clean install (usually) although I wouldn't try this using an OEM install of Windows (especially HP, Dell should work though). http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

I actually don't think it is a corrupted registry, because a corrupted reg won't usually bluescreen your pc, although sometimes it will.
Try to start in safe mode, then right click My Computer-click properties-click the advanced tab
Click the settings box in startup and recovery options, then uncheck the box in the system failure section that says 'Automatically restart'
Restart the pc, and this time you should get a nice bluescreen error.
tamilchild
Select Repair option

or

reinstall your operating system.. Rolling Eyes