FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whos The Best Drummer?

DResmini
This one could be open for some discussion, who do you think the worlds best drummer is? I'm not going to turn this into a poll because the possibilities are endless, but I'll name a few of my favorite.

Neal Pert of Rush
Steve Gadd
Tony Royster Jr.

That's just some of my top three, who do you guys like to jam out too? Any era or music style is open, I love it all. I'm intrested to hear what you guys (and gals) have to say!
HDirtwater
My three personal favorites are Carter Beauford (DMB), Bill Bruford (Yes), and Vinnie Colliuta (Sting, among others).
soldeinvierno
I love Steve Smith (Tribal Tech, Vital Tech Tones...). Specially in VTT. I love that kind of super-groups...
paranoid
My favourite drumer was ringo star.
Helios
Michael Henry McBrain is great, IMHO.
foodman
the top 3 drummers in my oppion are:

1.the drummer for rush
2. carl palmer of ELP
3. the drummer from yes
sorry i dont know there names
djsamsung
travis barker

modern rock fan LOL
HDirtwater
paranoid wrote:

LMAO. That could be the funniest thing I've ever read on these forums.
damj
HDirtwater wrote:
paranoid wrote:

LMAO. That could be the funniest thing I've ever read on these forums.

He said Ringo was his favorite ... he didn't say that Ringo was the best.

My favorite is Neal Peart ...
truth16
you guys have to check out some real drummers,,

1. Virgil Donati
2. buddy rich
3. Grant Collins

the greatest.
Andrew426
Eric Carr (RIP)
eldarian
Chad Smith 4ever!!!
He's from Red Hot Chili Peppers.
And... drummer from The Rasmus (don't know name)
Robban
I think mike portnoy is really good. And here in sweden it is a man namned Morgan Ågren who is very good.!
Octaeder
Do they have to be living?

If not then John Bonham. If you've ever seen one of the live Led Zeppelin DVDs about then you should know why.

Hell even if we're not allowed to pick dead drummers I'm still picking John Bonham cause, like, the music lives on man... *mumble, mumble* *some new age hippy crap*
XLax
The best drummer is the guy from Rush of course! My uncle's friend plays in a Rush tribute band and he has to jog every day in order to stay in shape for the shows
lors
My vote goes to John Bonham as well.
jcvincent
I believe that Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater is one of the best. If not the best. Although he is the best drummer that I know yet. I'm open to change my opinion though if I meet someone better than him.

Here in the Philippines, the best drummer for me was Wolf Gemora. The former drummer of the band called Wolfgang. Their song No Falter was featured in the final fantasy movie. He's the greatest Filipino drummer I have ever seen. I just hope that Wolfgang will be resurrected from their grave.
tizziano
Smile hello guys , my favorite drummer is Danny Carey of tool ,

[url] http://www.toolband.com [/url]
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
The BEST drummer in the whole entire world is most obviously Neal Pert! His skills are insane! GO RUSH GO!

~nIkKi
agustin
I think the best drummer is Lars Olsrich (Metallica).
molif
i would say travis barker.....

hahaha..

he is really good..
Shin
Dave Grohl when he was with Nirvana.. I can still hear the drum beat from Smells like Teen Spirit. Smile
tekage
agustin wrote:

It's lars ulrichst, juanes Wink posteaste rapido Very Happy

My favourite drummer is certainly zeppelin's, don't know if it was bronham who played moby dick, but if he was, then it's him Smile
Stinger
well in my opinion it would be the guy off the red hot chili peppers Razz (dnt knwo his name) or the one off System of a Down (and i dont know his name either Smile )
althalus
tekage wrote:
agustin wrote:

It's lars ulrichst, juanes Wink posteaste rapido Very Happy

My favourite drummer is certainly zeppelin's, don't know if it was bronham who played moby dick, but if he was, then it's him Smile
To be picky, it's actually Lars Ulrich. Razz

Hmm favourite drummer.. I guess one'd have to be a drummer themselves to have a 'favourite' one.. But I like Dave Chavarri of Ill Niño, Dirk Verbeuren of Soilwork and Andols Herrick of Chimaira. I don't know if they're any much special, but I like the way they play. Smile
Helios
Ah, also Jan Axel Blomberg a.k.a Hellhammer (arcturus, mayhem etc) imo is just a great drummer.
todabeat

"the one with the bennie"

Alex González from a Mexican Rock Band called.. Mana I actually made a post on my site about their last album. He has once been voted as one of the best drummer on the wolrd.
SimonWSTS
I can't say I can put one drummer ahead of all the others in the world as the single best drummer, however my three favourite drummers are:

1. Dave Weckl
2. Steve Smith
3. Steve Gadd
Petee
Neil Peart from Rush is the best drummer ever! Or, at least, that's what I think Laughing. I'm a huge fan of the band, and he is just an awesome percussionist.
jds10912
djsamsung wrote:
travis barker

exactly
lSaKenl
LMAO, i read all replies and only one talk about Mike Portnoy for me he is the best one, try getting a drum solo of him Laughing you gonna laugh thinking of how the hell he does that

Songs with good drumming from Mike Portnoy you should hear to know a bit of him (both of Dream Theater, he is the drummer of Liquid Tension Experiment too):

Stream of Consciousness (Instrumental)
Honor Thy Father
Sickness
I think George Kollias (Nile) is one of the best technical drummers in the world...

Abysmo
I have found that discussions about drummers get complicated when metalheads get involved. Most of us would slag any mention of Lars Ulrich in here (that snare in St. Anger Confused ). And it's good to see Mike Portnoy mentioned. But my favourite drummers will always be the brutal death metal drummers. Flo Mounier from Cryptopsy, the two fattest men in metal Gene Hoglan (of Dark Angel, Testament, Strapping Young Lad, Old Man's Child, Daemon fame) and Nick Barker (of Benediction, Brujeria, Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Lock Up) are really amazing. But my favourite drummer of all time is Dave Haley of Psycroptic and the Amenta, two of the biggest metal bands in Australia. I've seen him play and like many who hadn't seen him play before, had to pick my jaw up off the ground.
ddukki
DResmini wrote:
I'll name a few of my favorite.
Neal Pert of Rush
Steve Gadd
Tony Royster Jr.

Tony Royster Jr. is friggin' amazing. I watched the footage on him when he was 12 and I couldn't bring myself to not replay it over and over and over again.
tingkagol
i don't really dig technical drummers--- they all seem to sound the same. I prefer drummers who have their own style. I think Jon Theodore, Mars Volta's former drummer, was extremely good. It's amazing what he can do with the kick and snare alone.
pudovkin
Fernando Eguchi, from Liquidus Ambiento brazilian band.
purcebr
stewart copeland - he's the sound of the police.
ck88
No doubt the two best are Ian Paice of Deep Purple and Cozy Powell. Check out Drummerworld for even more or head over to YouTube for some videos.
okullar
I like this guy: Burak Gurpinar

deStructuralized
I've been trying to listen to a variety of different drummers lately...especially in metal/rock/jazz.

So of the albums these drummers have been on, which would you recommend I pick up to start out?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
fibian
the 3 best drummers are simple
Neil peart
Eric carr
Peter criss
kopnima
Chad Smith of course!

He holds a world record for playing with a 308-piece drum kit.
I love his play especially in the Blood sugar sex magic song.
f-spider
Shin wrote:
Dave Grohl when he was with Nirvana.. I can still hear the drum beat from Smells like Teen Spirit. Smile

Thats where my vote goes. Not only for that song, but some of the beats and other drum skills he put into almost all of their other songs (including the stuff he did with Queens Of The Stone Age) is just insane. Once again this is just my opinion.

Another one of my favourites is John Dolmayan from System Of A Down. I love his use of 16th notes on the hi-hat and his hi-hat to snare beats. Call it simple but it's damn effective.

And theres my answer.

f-spider
deStructuralized
deStructuralized wrote:
I've been trying to listen to a variety of different drummers lately...especially in metal/rock/jazz.

So of the albums these drummers have been on, which would you recommend I pick up to start out?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

C'mon guys, a good two pages and no recommendations on specific songs/albums? I can't go through these guys WHOLE discographies now Wink
David_Pardy
Heh...

Best drummers...

After 10 years of drumming myself, one thing I've learned is that nobody is the best. Everybody simply has different levels of experience and exposure and practise habits.

If I were to choose, however:

Virgil Donati is probably the most technically advanced drummer in the world. Period. Forget everyone else. The man is unbelievably good.

Chris Brien is also a monster of complete 4-way independance, able to apply any rhythm with any limb against different rhythms with the other limbs, as well as having a massive amount of speed.

Dave Weckl is also a wonderful drummer and has had a great influence over the drumming community for a couple of decades.

Vinnie Colaiuta is probably the only other drummer who comes close to Virgil's virtuosity.

Thomas Lang is often compared to Virgil, although he himself says Virgil is light years ahead and I would have to agree, but Thomas Lang certainly deserves all the praise he gets.

I wouldn't list Mike Portnoy as one of the best drummers in the world being as a) there's stuff I can do that he can't and b) the stuff he can do that I can't is fast becoming simply a matter of I haven't practised that stuff as much as he has. Put simply, comparing Mike Portnoy to Dave Weckl or Virgil Donati is like comparing someone who's been playing for a year to someone who's been playing for 20 years. There's no comparison - and I AM a Mike Portnoy fan, so don't think I'm bagging him out. He's done incredibly well for someone who is by large almost completely self-taught.

Now if I were to select my FAVOURITE drummers, I would be picking out a list like this:

Jason Rullo - Symphony X
Virgil Donati - Planet X, On the Virg, Tribal Tech, Soul Sirkus
Dave Weckl - Dave Weckl Band, lots of other stuff
Gavin Harrison - Porcupine Tree
Pete Drummond - does a lot of session work in Australia, plays with Jeremy Barnes

Just to put things in perspective, here's a list of drummers who I would say are technically better than Travis Barker, Mike Portnoy, Neal Peart, and most of the other drummers listed in this thread:

Virgil Donati
Dave Weckl
Vinnie Colaiuta
Grant Collins
Terry Bozzio
Pete Drummond
Chris Brien
Dom Famularo
Derek Roddy
Mike Mangini
Marco Minneman
Buddy Rich
Thomas Lang
Damien Corniola
Darren Farrugia
Andrew Gander
David Jones
Jojo Mayer

Search any one of those names on Youtube and you're going to get a very, very nice surprise.

But there really are so many fantastic drummers out there who not enough people know of. It's hard to construct a list like this because I know I miss so many people out. I don't like bagging out other drummers either, since that's not something I do - so my list is NOT a criticism of Mike, Travis or Neil's playing, just simply giving examples of drummers who I would consider to have a bit more ability.
froginabox
Mmm, at least we're going all YouTube with our "my drummer idol is better than yours" insults. Seriously, go look up a drum video of any of these greats and see people say how Neil Pert should be more like Mike Portnoy but wait Buddy Rich is better.

Bah.

The best drummer of all time is the one who can create the best beat and drive the band like a freight train. If you can do it, you qualify for the position. No multi-platinum records needed. Some of my band's best jams live have started off something one of our drummers did. Look at the Allman Brothers... they had two crazy drummers and their jams would have been nothing without them.

I'd also like to add that Thiery Arpino, who has toured with jazz/fusion legend Jean Luc Ponty for almost a decade now, is ridiculously good and one of the few drummers that I have personally met who is that good. Oh, and he can carry a 15 minute solo and even make my mother (who doesn't like drum solos) interested.
tom69
I can't say names but I can say bands:

Zornik
Audioslave
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Those three bands have AWESOME drummers, just... Awesome
Insanity
Mike Portnoy does some pretty awesome work and I <3 Dream Theater.

I think Travis Barker is alright, but some of his drum solos get pretty boring and repetitive after a while...

Some other favorites are Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band and of course Buddy Rich and his insane drumming skills
David_Pardy
Portnoy's biggest problem is that his studio work sounded very mechanical for several years, and it's only really starting from Train of Thought that he's started to sound more relaxed and 'immersed' with the kit rather than just hitting it.

That, and he occasionally speeds up or slows down the tempo a little bit Wink.

He sounds really good live though, although that could possibly be due to 'softer' sounds of the drums due to the live environment.

Still, he's one of my favourite drummers, although I've finally managed to find harder stuff than Dream Theater songs to practise to Smile.
miacps
The best drummer is clearly Larzon (Millencolin) because... well, because I said so. Wink

The Nirvana guy was pretty good too!
Nutteloos
I'm a big fan of Portnoy myself, though I have to confess I'm not much of a drummer myself, and don't know many others that could be considered good other than by their band.

The latest Neal Morse album features some great drumming from Mike, anyone who likes his stuff should definitely consider it.
evilDMT
My favourite player at the moment is a little known player by the name of Gavin Harrison. He is famous for currently playing in a band called "Porcupine Tree'. This guy has it all finese, chops and groove .. see a lot of the technical players out there just cannot groove. Look at Virgil Donati, monster player thats for sure, but extremely robotic and there is no groove behind him.

Check this go out, you will be pleasantly surprised Very Happy
The Mitchell
Danny Carey is my favourite. i wouldnt say best but probably for me he is the most interesting. Steve Smith is also pretty goddamn amazing.

Anyone who says lars ulrich officially loses.
jds10912
travis barker is good
roxys_art
I would have to say Danny Carey (TOOL) rates pretty high on my list. Not only is he great in a technical sense, but he also puts alot of feeling into his drumming.
mattchun
Frankly, I like the drummers of Nirvana...although I even don't know his name.
tingkagol
Quote:
The Nirvana guy was pretty good too!

Congratulations for living under a rock and referencing Dave Grohl as "the nirvana guy".

Steve Gadd. How the hell did I forget?
dacode
One of my favorite drummer of all time, alongside J.Bonham, would be Mitch Mitchell, Jimmy Hendrix's drummer. Although I can also digg some crazy driven drum technical patterns by the likes of Weckl, Portnoy, Bozio, Nostromo's drummer and all the other "listen I can play my double bass drum pedal faster than anyone else on earth", I have a great admiration towards jazz drummers, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham and co.

But as it goes, I think that the best drummer is actually the one that fits perfectly with the other musicians in a given band at a given time, like in any relationship. And of course, that applies to any musician.
breebree
Scott Ellis, former warface drummer.
Drummer from the Black Dahlia Murder
Matt Nicholls from Bring Me The Horizon
eggg
Zach Hill. Can't believe I'm the first to mention him.

He wins for keeping the time on "Hello Great Architect of the Universe" and for not using a double bass pedal (but sounding like he does).

edit: Forgot to mention, he plays in the band Hella! I'd recommend "Hold Your Horse is," "the Devil Isn't Red," "Acoustics," and "Total Bugs Bunny on Wild Bass," as some of their later stuff just descends into improv/noise/something bad. They really should never have tried to add a singer. Their early stuff is the best music I've ever heard, though. I can't decide if it's jazz (with the drums doing the soloing) or rock. It's instrumental and strange and fast and fantastic. He also did a great album with Mick Barr (guitar player, Crom-Tech, Orthrelm, Octis) called "Shred Earthship" which is some of the most bizarre metal I've ever heard.

Or just watch this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eta_VVu2t5A
and this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI
and this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-plG6mmyI_I
innovaservice
Dave Weckl : Check the album Mater Plan out...

Denis Chambers, when he was with Mike Stern (Stern Berg band).

Nick Mason, for the feeling that he put in Pink Floyd....

Manu Katche (a french drummer), drummer of Peter Gabriel, Veronique Sanson, Francis Cabrel, ...

Paul Brochu, a canadien drummer.... with the band Uzeb
shadowofadead
Jaska Raatikanen from Children Of Bodom Smile Smile
Nutteloos
I really should give some of the guys mentioned here a try... there's just so many 'greatest drummers ever' I wouldn't know where to start...
kizarop
All time my personal best : Virgil Donati (Planet -X and many many more), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Jason Bittner (Shadows Fall), Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa,The Brecker Brothers,Jeff Beck,John Wetton,Eddie Jobson,Korn,Tony Hymas,Daniel Humair,Mark Nauseef,Chad Wackerman,Tommy Mars,Steve Vai,Peter Wolf,Ruth Underwood,Roy Estrada,Arthur Barrow,Ike Willis,Denny Walley,Scott Thunes,Warren Cuccurullo,Ian Underwood,Ralph Humphrey,Chester Thompson)
Blu_Spykz
Dave Grohl is actually a very good drummer, Rob Bourdon is also fantastic.

I wouldnt necessarily say these are the BEST in the world... but worthy of a mention.
tidruG
I actually thought Danny Carey would be mentioned a lot more times than he actually was... guess there aren't too many Tool fans here.
My list of favourite drummers:
  • Danny Carey (Tool) - Certainly the most interesting drumming I've heard. I love how he approaches each song to make it his own, instead of with the intention of just providing the beat to it. One of the most dynamic and creative drummers I've heard.
  • Dave Grohl (Queens of the Stone Age/Nirvana/Foo Fighters) - I really really loved the drumming on "Songs for the Deaf"... there's not a single song on there on which the drumming doesn't sound extraordinary. I also fell in love with the drumming on Foo Fighter's "Everlong", and even though now I've heard other drummers do the same thing, I still think that the drumming on that song is truly fantastic (Grohl didn't like the original drumming on the album "The Colour and The Shape", so he re-recorded the drum tracks with himself playing the drums), and of course, most Nirvana songs have awesome drumming.
  • John Dolmayan (System of a Down) - Ever since I heard "Toxicity", I've been paying a lot of attention to his drumming.
  • Dave Lombardo (Slayer) - The only "DEATH METAL" band I can stand to listen to... I like his style and speed quite a bit. I also truly enjoyed his drumming on the Black Sabbath cover of "Hand of Doom".

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... no matter how much you hate or diss Metallica/Lars Ulrich right now, you cannot but agree that drumming on tracks such as "One" was definitely legendary.
stevedave
I like the guys from, Decapitated and Ion Dissonance. A lot of people disregard good musicians in todays metal, but i think they are rad
Sickness
Quote:
Dave Lombardo (Slayer) - The only "DEATH METAL" band I can stand to listen to... I like his style and speed quite a bit. I also truly enjoyed his drumming on the Black Sabbath cover of "Hand of Doom".

Oh, I didn't know that Slayer was death metal Confused
tidruG
It's not?
Then what is it? Thrash Metal?
Nutteloos
Probably... at least that's what Wikipedia says. Not like I'd know the difference really, I don't really like any of the two. I admire the musicians, really, but the vocals totally ruin it for me. I always find it a shame when I listen to bands like that.
tidruG
Hmm... growling generally puts me off Death Metal... anyway, we're going off topic Razz
clydejaw
I reckon the best drummers are Joey Jordison from Slipknot, Travis Barker from Blink182, Buddy Rich, Drummer from Rush! that kid Jacob Armen! (check his videos on utube!! he's like the mannn!
Srs2388
Rick Allan... he has ONE ARM! and he plays for def leppard.
he played before but then he was in an accident and lost his arm and continued playing. you should watch a video sometime.
Rosanova
Hi there,

I don't think that Fenriz from Darkthrone has been mentioned or Frost from Satyricon. They can play and they do it extremely fast as a shark....Smile

.....Anyway does it also seems like that you had forgot that Phil Collins actually is a drummer too, and at the Genesis days, before Peter Gabriel left, did Phil made a brilliant work where he also might belong...Smile

Lars from some unknown band called Metallica can also do it, but it seems like that he had forgot how too...Smile

....And every drummers that had been played with Ozzy does also belongs to this category.

Cheers!
Rosanova
Srs2388 wrote:
Rick Allan... he has ONE ARM! and he plays for def leppard.
he played before but then he was in an accident and lost his arm and continued playing. you should watch a video sometime.

He is a hero... Smile
tidruG
Yeah, I read about Rick Allan before as well. I only realized he had only one arm after watching the video for "Pour Some Sugar On Me", and realizing that he looked a little weird. Then, I checked wikipedia for him. It's truly neat that Def Leppard didn't give up on him even though it took him about 3 years (I think) to learn how to drum with only one arm.

And someone mentioned Lars Ulrich, and yes, I totally agree... the drumming on albums like "...And Justice For All" (Can anyone forget "One"?) is exceptional. I also liked the drumming on St. Anger, but I'm sure very few other people would probably agree with me there.
pudovkin
Iggor Cavalera, former drummer of Sepultura.
He's now working on a project with his brother, Max Cavalera, called "Cavalera Conspiracy" (former called "Inflikted").

Also Rick Allan is impressive, indeed.
Tatsumaru
Kai Haito, the man is one crazy drum beast-machine. His work on the first Wintersun album is awesome. Can't wait for that second album that's being delayed over and over again...
zbrchaz
Matt Greiner from the band august burns red . i love this guy he is soo unbelivily good very fast and creative. Very Happy there i put my 2 cents in
kuhdorf
Travis barker from blink182
clydejaw
Buddy Rich, Joey Jordison and Travis Barker.

There's so many actually but they are my fav atleast.
David_Pardy
I can't believe people are still saying Travis Barker...
liljp617
Very Happy I don't know many drummers in particular so I'll just say the ones I know lol

Vinnie Paul (Abbot)
Lars Ulrich
Dave Lombardo
John Bonham

tidruG wrote:
It's not?
Then what is it? Thrash Metal?

Yes. They're one of the "Big Four" pioneers of thrash metal (others being Anthrax, Metallica, and Megadeth).
Loghete
Keith Moon of course Smile

I thought someone would have mentioned him already but no..
pudovkin
pudovkin wrote:
Iggor Cavalera, former drummer of Sepultura.
He's now working on a project with his brother, Max Cavalera, called "Cavalera Conspiracy" (former called "Inflikted").

... and now they have a MySpace page!
http://www.myspace.com/cavaleraconspiracy
Too bad there's no songs on the page. Sad

David_Pardy wrote:
I can't believe people are still saying Travis Barker...

HAHAHAHAHA
Yeap, it's sad...
Curtalcorn
My favorite drummers have to be
Dave Lombardo
Bashing Bill Ward
Tim Alexander
Shawn Drover
And Lars Ulrich
David_Pardy
Good to see Tim Alexander getting a mention!
jsymac
Loghete wrote:
Keith Moon of course Smile

I thought someone would have mentioned him already but no..

I'd have to agree with that,

Only just read through the post and I couldn't belive he hadn't been mentioned before
Ankhanu
I'm pretty partial to John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) , Neal Pert (Rush), Dan ny D'Imperio (Herbie Hancock), and Dom Famularo
David_Pardy
Keith Moon hasn't been mentioned because he isn't actually all that good...
Insanity
In terms of pure skill and talent Buddy Rich would have to take the cake. To all those people who are saying Travis Barker or Keith Moon, you need to watch some jazz drummers in action.
David_Pardy
I think that Buddy Rich has been overtaken by a few modern drummers, at least in technical ability - such as Virgil Donati and Vinnie Colaiuta, although that doesn't matter since they're ALL fantastic drummers.

Nonetheless he still retains the title as being one of the absolute greatest drummers - AND innovative pioneers of drumming - of all time. He'll always be remembered as being one of the greatest and massively influencing the music world, moreso than most musicians will ever be able to claim.
symbass
Well, in my opinion you should rephrase the question to: "Who's YOUR favorite drummer". Because that would straight things up for many people. In my field which is "Art Criticism" we do avoid the word "best" when it comes to people...
Now as for the drummers I could name many depending on each one's genre/style.
For example in Jazz I would name Lenny White as my favorite drummer but technically speaking many would see Dennis Chambers as "better" skills wise...
In Rock/Metal, I choose Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Virgil Donati from Ring Of Fire (and numerous other projects like Planet X...)
Many others are also worth mentioning like Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, John Tempesta, Paul Bostaph, Steve Gadd....
[FuN]goku
It depends on what you like.. i don't think theres one 'best' drummer, but alot of really good ones.
I think Buddy Rich is a pretty good drummer, but if the question is 'Who is my favorite drummer?' then i would have to say the drummers from 2 of my friends bands.
dougblackjr
I'm Sure He Got Mentioned Already, But....

Mike Portnoy!

Simply amazing...anyone else big Dream Theater fans? Every time I hear Octavarium, it makes me jealous beyond jealous!
David_Pardy
Octavarium was the worst DT album ever :p
dougblackjr
Seriously?! Are you kidding me?

Octavarium is a masterpiece! The whole theme of 5/8 all the way through! The idea of everything coming full circle!

I respectfully disagree. The album is brilliant!
David_Pardy
Just because it has a cool theme, doesn't mean that the music is any good.

They tried too hard to be other bands. The only good parts of the album are The Root Of All Evil, and the first half of Octavarium, before all the awful solo stuff.

It redeems itself on the Score DVD though, but the album itself is lifeless and the music really is not that good at all.

Systematic Chaos was only slightly less disappointing.
dodhee
Vinnie Colliuta and Travis Barker both are my fave drummer Smile
nirP
i would have to say Neal Pert from Rush is my favorite, but i can't actually tell who's the best one, since each one has his own style...
pudovkin
... just for remember: Rick Allen, from Def Leppard, could be not the best, but should be remembered as one of the bravest one.
schooldays
Ringo Starr... he's not a very technical drummer, as The Beatles regularly said, but for 'feel' of the drums, he was the best. Music is very rarely about being technical, and anyone calling him a poor drummer NEEDS to listen to A Day In The Life, his best performance by far. Also Ticket To Ride (despite the fact he was directed by McCartney) and the fade-out of Strawberry Fields. Oh, and of course the drum solo on The End.
00chaos8
personally I would think the mike portnoy from dream theater. Phenomenal drummer, find him at his best in the album "Train Of Thought"
tidruG
pudovkin wrote:
... just for remember: Rick Allen, from Def Leppard, could be not the best, but should be remembered as one of the bravest one.

Indeed.
I had no idea he had only one arm until I saw the video for "Pour Some Sugar On Me". I was like "hmm... that drummer looks weird", but I dismissed it. Later, I checked it out on the internet, and indeed, he has been drumming for years with only one arm, which is amazing.

Also, while we give credit to the drummer himself, let us not forget to give credit to the band for supporting Rick for years and refusing to hire another drummer in his place.
R4J4H-D4T-808
i would go with djsamsung says Travis Barker is a good drummer
Jacob123
i gotta say outta all the drummers i no my top 3 are probly Keith Moon Joey Jordison from slipknot and Ben Gordon from parkway drive but yeh its really all on what you like not whos the best lololol haha but hey there my faviorite and i don't care if you thiink wrong so meh Cool
David_Pardy
Can I be the first to say the following:

Almost all drummers of any skill level have at least one idea which you can steal Smile.
delahaye
John Bonham and Keith Moon, imho. Both dead but still kicking ass.
pudovkin
tidruG wrote:
pudovkin wrote:

Indeed.
I had no idea he had only one arm until I saw the video for "Pour Some Sugar On Me". I was like "hmm... that drummer looks weird", but I dismissed it. Later, I checked it out on the internet, and indeed, he has been drumming for years with only one arm, which is amazing.

Also, while we give credit to the drummer himself, let us not forget to give credit to the band for supporting Rick for years and refusing to hire another drummer in his place.

Definitely. The band, since it reached the commercial success, could forget about Rick and try with some other famous drummer; instead, they stick with him, adapting either the musical compositions and the drum equipment to allow the man to do his (great) job.
David_Pardy
I'm really getting into some Vinnie Colaiuta at the moment.

Did you know he has recorded over 250 albums since the start of 2006?
gecko
Quantity is not a quality. But respect for hard work though.

As for me, Buddy Rich, John Bonham are best. Gene Krupa also cool.

Now looking at some modern: Lars Ulrich (Metallica), Dave Lombardo (Slayer), Joey Jordison (Slipknot). Maybe they haven't got such technique but... they ARE fast.
Seiji
Heff from Taiji's Band is really good. He played real well, in the Live Zero Concert and it'll be interesting to see him again in this years eptfest.
David_Pardy
gecko wrote:
Quantity is not a quality. But respect for hard work though.

As for me, Buddy Rich, John Bonham are best. Gene Krupa also cool.

Now looking at some modern: Lars Ulrich (Metallica), Dave Lombardo (Slayer), Joey Jordison (Slipknot). Maybe they haven't got such technique but... they ARE fast.

That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Do you even know who Vinnie Colaiuta is?
Insanity
For favorite drummer, I'd have to say Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band. That guy knows how to drum up an awesome groove.
Farqual
The Best drummer is me !
revani
Almost all death metal, grindcore and deathgrind metal bands have great drummers. That takes a lot of skill to play Very Happy Especially Misery Index's drummer is really good. He doesn't seem to get tired Very Happy
Arseniy
Joey from Slipknot. I never seen better drummer.
David_Pardy
Start looking then :p
revani
David_Pardy wrote:
Start looking then :p

Yeah really, metalcore drummers aren't that skillful, says my experience.
freeshann
Tony Bookless, Vancover, BC, Canada
xtranophilist
Vinnie Paul from Pantera.
condiment
I agree, Vinnie paul is great. Pantera is great. RIP dimebag.
Rick harris is a hero because of his disabiltiy
Mike Portnoy is my favourite. And by the way, Octavarium is my favourite DT album, expecially second half of Octavarium, Panic Attack and Root of all Evil. Second best is Systematic Chaos, the Images and Words
Opeth Drummer Axe (Martin Axenrot)
and
Joey Jordinson or whatever was great with Metallica. When he joined Slipknot, i began to dislike him. Why did he join such a crap band (sorry for offending people).
David_Pardy
Haha, Lars Ulrich is the drummer in Metallica. Always has been!

Joey never had a name for himself until Slipknot.
xtranophilist
Joey co-founded Slipknot and damn he was not with Metallica.
But he performed with Metalica in a 2004 concert.
He is a very much talented musician - a uitarist for murderroll and a great drummer for slipknot and i see he is a record-producer too.
See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Jordison#Other_musical_endeavours

And a great drum solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCILd7L87Q

Motorhead drummer is great too.
See this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBXbR4g6Ozk
spinout
All modern drumming comes from one person - who lateron became famous...
Gene Krupa

Search on youtube n see.
nofrets
my fav is billy cobham
TVme
nofrets wrote:
my fav is billy cobham

Wow Billy Cobham is great, especially on the album "Spectrum" w/Tommy Bolin, however, my favorite and among the world's greatest is Kieth Moon.

-TVme
_AVG_
I really like Jaska Raatikanen (forgive me if I spelled incorrectly) from Children of Bodom and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.

They are very creative and have their own style. Plus, their fellow band members complement them. It would be tough to pick, and of course, there is no such thing as "ONE SINGLE BEST DRUMMER" in the world, but I would have to say, from what music I've heard at least, MIKE PORTNOY.
David_Pardy
Sorry AVG, but Mike Portnoy doesn't even come close.

His abilities are pretty much just 'average' in today's drumming community. He hasn't really grown in 20 years of Dream Theater, which is quite sad because he has always shown such great promise. He's good, but he could be a whole lot better.

I can name, in no particular order (apart from Virgil Donati) so many drummers who are light years ahead of Mike Portnoy and pretty much everyone named in the topic (except for those named by people who know what they're talking about).

Virgil Donati, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Chris Brien, Dom Famularo, Derek Roddy, Steve Smith, Pete Drummond, Dennis Chambers, Tommy Igoe, Gavin Harrison, Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Alex Deegan, Terepai Richmond, Gordon Ritmeister, Thomas Lang, and the list goes on.

Here are a few video examples of the genius of some of these guys, starting with my favourite drummer of all time (and the drummer I believe is truly the most advanced in the world) - Virgil Donati:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhckpMxxdo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVFYQaD7mSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKk646-3mY

Dave Weckl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmykCWMPWvE

Vinnie Colaiuta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xmRQAUOr8

Chris Brien:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7w8jnG9dR8

Derek Roddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQHM0M6TGg

Pete Drummond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffgkXDfTMM

Steve Smith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpJh46j0cSY

Gavin Harrison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJEpNPLjhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OTivGZmhYQ

Thomas Lang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llijK-zUoUs

Please watch all these videos to discover the calibre of drumming which is being missed out on by so many people!
scorpyin
wow, not one mention of meshuggahs master of the polyrhythm? Tomas Haake of Meshuggah is by FAR my favorite (heavy metal warning!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap7Z5S6yTZM if listening to him doesnt convince you he's ultra talented then try PLAYING what he's doing... that's what i thought!
william
Of all time? Easily John Bonham. Have any of you seen his performances? His Moby Dick solo is enough to solidify his amazing competence. He was truly a legend. Keith Moon also makes a good case for himself.

As for living drummers, I would have to go with Neil Peart.
busman
Bill Ward- Black Sabbath
George Kollias- Nile
Derek Roddy- (Almost every death metal band ever haha)
Buddy Rich/Gene Krupa- Jazz/Big Band
Eric Moore- Gospel
John Longstreth- Origin
cnitolo
John Bonham from Led Zeppelin and Nicko McBrain from Iron Maidem!
lightningleo
I think Its Tre Cool from Green Day.. He's got awesome style and He too is a great drummer...

His expressions during songs are very awesome...

listen to this song and see his expressions and drum beats..

memno
Steve Flynn from Atheist. Unquestionable Presence is a madhouse of tech drumming, and he can recreate everything live. Listen to John Peel's live performance. AND we're talking nearly 20 years ago... the Jupiter album had steve on drums, but i guess age got to him and he's much, much more subdued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HaskEIda4
Tuvitor
John Bonham. End of thread. :p
enilsoncba
Someone here knows Alexandre Aposan?? rsrsrsrsrsrs ... must surely be little known internationally, but here in Brazil and for me is one of the best drummers we have ... currently live DVD recorded with singer Roberto Thalles revelation, sending very well on all the songs they played ... Dude totally used by God with humility and impeccable professionalism .. may God continue to bless.
pravojednostavno
My favourite is Rich Allen from the English hard rock band Def Leppard - he is maybe not the best drummer of all time, but he is one who is inspiring me, because he has only one arm.
Blummer
I'm not giving you the best one. I'm just giving you one of those, who actually evaluate, sense and transform.