FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suzumiya Harhui, who knows of this awsome show?

FlyingMonkey
Recently I finished watching a short anime seris called "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi" and I must say it was wicked awsome. I then caught wind that not only I, but many people in the anime community have caught what is now known as "haruhism". What I want to know is who here has watched the show, and whats your favourite ep??

FlyingMonkey approves this message.
jimbluey
yea.. this anime is awesome.. my faverite episode was. ep 13 i guess where haruhi sung "God knows" and "Lost of Music".. and i also like the last episode.
driftingfe3s
I loved this show. I really hope theres another season becuase so far they've just focused on the first novel the show is based on.
Scaramanga
I dunno if there's going to be a second season, as it depends on how popular this quirky show ends up becoming in Japan (and to lesser extent the US, with hopefully a forthcoming license announcement.) Although things look good, with Haruhi characters appearing on the covers of both Megami and Comp H's magazines.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a new show to replace your Haruhiism (note: it's two 'i's,) I'd recommend Welcome to the NHK, which took over Haruhi's timeslot in Japan.
Ukatoton
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is definitely one of my favourite anime.

I really hope it gets licensed by a company that distribute in the UK (otherwise it'll be very difficult and expensive to get hold of).

At the moment though, zegapain has been taking over what used to be my haruhi watching time. It's very wierd, but not so in-your-face as Haruhi was.

I also really hope that some company licenses the books on which the series is based. I'd love to read them, but I only know a few very basic phrases in Japanese, and still have trouble remembering hiragana.
sarsee
Very Happy MoHS's the best anime I've watched in the spring season of Anime. Speaking of The Live episode, there's someone who made this:

http://community.livejournal.com/sos_brigade/43889.html#cutid1

Too awesome, too hot!
You think this would go into mass production eventually :/ ?
Scaramanga
sarsee wrote:
Very Happy MoHS's the best anime I've watched in the spring season of Anime. Speaking of The Live episode, there's someone who made this:

Too awesome, too hot!

I find it highly, unlikely, but you never know. If it's any consolation Figumates will be releasing a set of Haruhi figures early next year. I doubt this will be the last we'll hear of Haruhi figures and merchandise. I mean the show just finished airing not that long ago, so it'll take a little while for fan support to kick in.
Rsam
A summary would be nice for people who haven't seen it. If it's interesting I might take a look/
Scaramanga
Rsam wrote:
A summary would be nice for people who haven't seen it. If it's interesting I might take a look/

It's really hard to summarize without giving away major spoilers. Also, it's such a quirky show that it's a bit hard to just sum up. I'd recommend watching the first two episodes, and making a judgement from there.

But if you really must, think of a school slice-of-life show, then add in time-travellers, artificial life forms, and ESPers, all of which revolve around this singular oddball girl, Suzumiya Haruhi.
driftingfe3s
sarsee wrote:

Too awesome, too hot!

I also don't think it will. Its much to high quality and detailed to make for mass production. Its probably hand made cuase the price tag is really high, around $1000.
Scaramanga
driftingfe3s wrote:
sarsee wrote:

Too awesome, too hot!

I also don't think it will. Its much to high quality and detailed to make for mass production. Its probably hand made cuase the price tag is really high, around $1000.

More like $100, unless you added an extra zero in there by mistake. Actually that's not too bad considering a LOT of mainstream resin kits can cost from $100-200. Of course then there's the fact that he's only making 200 hundred of them and selling them at the always popular Wonderfest.
fervent
I love this anime, I loved it, bought the entire set, then lost the CDs. I cried for a few hours. I haven't gotten far.
I'm still looking for the anime, wish me luck.
urbanbuddha
I love this show. It was a total hit when I showed it during the anime nights for my club at university.

As for the the order of watching the series, I rather prefer watching it as it was aired than chronological order.

Overall, it was a nice short series to watch.
chastise
I'm still watching the anime, I haven't actually gotten to watching it...

But it seems like an interesting anime.
icantthink
Suzumiya Haruhi is wicked. I remember watching the first episode i was like, 'what the hell!!?' then I watched the epi again and discovered this show is a gem. The anime is based on light novels. Has anyone read them? I read up to volume 6.
RubySlasher
I heard some rumor that the August issue of Japan's Newtype magazine revealed a second season. And also that it's supposed to be announced today.
But anyways, I have dial-up and can't download the series, so I bought the first volume last month or so. I think the 2nd one is out this month, and I'm going to get it for the heck of it.
It's an interesting show, to say the least. I can thoroughly understand why Haruhi does what she does, because normal life is really boring.
Scaramanga
RubySlasher wrote:
I heard some rumor that the August issue of Japan's Newtype magazine revealed a second season.

It was supposed to be announced on the Official Site on July 7th, but all I heard was that there was a viral video meant to look like surveillance footage. You can find a streaming version of it here on the Moetron blog. It's supposed to be alluding to events that happen in the third light novel I believe.
ddukki
I just watched this Anime at a suggestion of a friend. I laughed all the way from episode one to episode fourteen (of course, in plot order; I don't think I could've followed in any other order). Very creative and I wish life was like this!
icantthink
Scaramanga wrote:
RubySlasher wrote:
I heard some rumor that the August issue of Japan's Newtype magazine revealed a second season.

It was supposed to be announced on the Official Site on July 7th, but all I heard was that there was a viral video meant to look like surveillance footage. You can find a streaming version of it here on the Moetron blog. It's supposed to be alluding to events that happen in the third light novel I believe.

There will be a second season, the matter is when.......this winter I hope. and there will be Haruhi games in PS2/PSP and Wii next year.
zyraen809
Haven't finished it yet, but I already think it's one of the best I've watched so far. Uber-interesting story, and I rather enjoyed Kyon's voice-overs, aside from many other things XD
carlokes
Hi there,

Never heard of this anime until I saw the topic and after some research I just went WOW....anidb community voted for 6 prizes for this anime in 2006. I really have to watch this now, dont even now how this slipped way from me in the first place.

The site also has a small summary about the series if anyone is interested...

Stay Cool
ddukki
icantthink wrote:
Suzumiya Haruhi is wicked. I remember watching the first episode my was like, 'what the hell!!?' then I watched the epi again and discovered this show is a gem. The anime is based on light novels. Has anyone read them? I read up to volume 6.
Is it a graphic novel, or actual traditional text novels? That'd be interesting to see this kind of storyline plotted out on paper. [Probably a "duh" type question, but I'd still like to know]
icantthink
They are actual text novels. In Japan 'light novels' are the hottest books now...they are basically written animes. Suzumiya Haruhi actually won a novel prize! I think there are English translations out there...if you're interested, look for it in the Animesuki forum. Wink

Speaking of which, zero no tsukaima is another anime based on light novels.
ddukki
That's amazing. Thanks for the heads up.
Roxanna
tat was one of my first anime'sh hehe
driftingfe3s
Does anyone know when the second season will start?
Seiji
Overrated...if you don't get into the anime by the middle of the series you won't like that much or at least I didn't. It's alway getting rave reviews and stuff but I didn't think it was that great.
Sundae
Well, it's not totally overrated though, it has a decent story and loveable character to boot.
I've read the translated novels first at baka-tsuki, so I managed to grasp the story, and seeing the character gets animated and have voice over is refreshing Laughing

I heard the 2nd season will begin after Clannad is over