FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Uploading my Frontpage files

Dj_Dan
I've just been given acceptance to host my homepage through frihost. I've never made a homepage before and know very little about webpages and hosting in general. I decided to design my homepage using Microsoft Frontpage... but now that I am trying to "publish" my homepage to the account, it doesn't seem to work!

1. Does frihost enable you to upload a Frontpage designed site?
2. What am I doing wrong?.... i'm sure it's something obvious.

Actually, I don't know what I'm doing at all. Can someone lead me through the process? Beginning at the "acceptance" that a moderator gave me.. what next?

When I load up my domain it reads: "To change this page, upload your website into the public_html directory"

what is the public_html directory? and how do I do that?

Since I'm using Frontpage, I select "publish web" on my (frontpage) file. It gives me option:

so anyway, after selecting my domain name I press "Publish" but it tells me frihost doesn't accept Frontpage (HTML) , so I have to publish it in FTP. I try pressing "publish" again... and so it begins uploading (i think).
It next tells me that the domain contains pages like public_html which my frontpage is not using... and do i want to delete the file? after pressing no... it later interupts to tell me "error".

Anyone help me understand this trouble? thanx.
Josso
Your path should be: /domains/danama.frih.net/public_html
If it asks for a port is should be: 21

I'm not sure though, I've never really used frontpage frequently enough to help you. Oh and try deleting everything in your public_html folder first, or at least index.html for the time being.

(You'll need to go into your file manager or use an FTP program to delete anything, I suggest SmartFTP).
Dj_Dan
Josso wrote:

I'm not sure though, I've never really used frontpage frequently enough to help you. Oh and try deleting everything in your public_html folder first, or at least index.html for the time being.

(You'll need to go into your file manager or use an FTP program to delete anything, I suggest SmartFTP).

what do you mean my path should be /domains/danama.frih.net/public_html????

where do i type that? or how do i use that path?
i try typing that into the menu (as displayed above) but it says "url invalid"

i'm clueless....
Dj_Dan
can anyone help me here??
Hammy
I've never used FrontPage for my webpages either, but...

Quote:

As Josso said here,
In the Image you supplied us with, where it says'http://www.danama.frih.net'. This is your 'Path'.

Replace that with /domains/danama.frih.net/public_html

I'm not entierly convinced that is correct tho, i'm just backing up Josso's theory to try and get you on your way.

Hammy.

EDIT:
Sorry... I found this on the internet.

Quote:
Publish Your FrontPage Web to an Unextended Web Server by Using FTP
1. On the File menu, click Publish Web.
2. In the Specify the location to publish your web to box, type the location of an FTP Web server, or click the arrow to select a location to which you have published before. For example, type ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/myweb.
3. Click Options to expand the list of options.
4. Specify whether you want to publish only pages that have changed or all pages.
5. Click Publish.

For you type this in your path instead:
ftp://ftp.danama.frih.net

And it should be sorted Smile
[/b]
mOrpheuS
I believe you should use this path :

Code:
ftp://danama.frih.net/domains/danama.frih.net/public_html/

for uploading your files using FTP in frontpage.
(Just enter your DirectAdmin username and password when prompted)

p.s. - In the past I've been able to successfully upload files using frontpage extensions (the http:// path that you were trying before). If you want to use that, just make sure you have frontpage extensions enabled in your DirectAdmin.
And yes, that path is correct if you enable frontpage extensions on your account. Wink