FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleep less and learn more

ehunter
How many hour per day do you sleep?

Is it true that we need 8 sleeping hours or more per day to perform well? Many people believe that. I have a friend commit herself to sleep at least 8 hours per day and keep counting and accumulating her sleeping hour over the day. If, sometimes, something was out of control and she knew that she could not sleep enough 8 hours, she was starting to worry and consequently it's difficult to start a sleep. She also told me that the more women sleep the smarter they are (according to an article she found on the Internet, have you seen it?).

I personally consider life is short and I need more time to learn so many things. I want to sleep less. I found the following tips and applied for myself:

1.Keep saying to myself (program my subconscious mind) that “ I sleep 5 hours a day”

2.Ambient temperature and light also affect our sleep. Therefore, I expose myself to enough intensity of light during the day and I set timer to turn on the light a bit earlier the time I want to wake up.

3.Taking regular day-time naps (about 10-20 minutes when allowable) give me a huge boost of energy throughout the day.

4.Extensively using brainwave programs such as:
- Brain Massage (http://www.brainsync.com/brain.asp?id=18&title=Brain-Massage) or Total Relaxation (http://www.brainsync.com/brain.asp?id=1&title=Total-Relaxation) when having a rest
- Deep Sleep (http://www.brainsync.com/brain.asp?id=33&title=Deep-Sleep) Before going to bed
- High-Focus (http://www.brainsync.com/brain.asp?id=17&title=High-Focus) to boost your ability to focus mentally and concentrate for extended periods of time.

A confession:
I know that it's not a good idea of drinking a lot of coffee. However, coffee are easily accessible and offered for free in workplace (at least in Australia) and it helps. I do not mind drinking 2 or 3 cups per day to keep me stay awake and perform my best.

I hope you share your useful tips to effectively use our 24-hour-only days.

Thank you
ncordell
I think that it is different for every person. Some people just need more sleep. I feel like I adjust. During the semester, I am totally fine on about 6 hours of sleep because I'm busy all day. Durning the summer I sleep about 8 hours a night because I'm not doing as much and things aren't as exciting. I think you definitely need to get at least 5 or 6 hours a night to do well, but if you need 8 hours, you shouldn't feel bad about that.
niceboy
as I know
everyone should sleep at least 8 hour per day
or,your helth will be bad
Da Rossa
OMG, this discussion again...
Ok, sleep less, and enjoy the 19 hours that remained. Then, tell us if those 19 hours were more or less profitable than the 16 you should stay awake by sleeping 8.
Kaneda
If your goal actually is to "learn more" as you say, the worst thing you could do would be to sleep less. Sure, you may learn more, but you'll be more likely to not remember what you learned. Sleep plays an important role in memory processing, possibly even being the point where most of your short term memories are committed to long term memory. In addition, lack of sleep doesn't help your attention and cognitive skills, which are essential for a good learning process.

All in all, it's my belief that you must sleep exactly as much as you feel the need to - sleeping has major implications for all aspects of your well being in waking life.

Oh, and there's a very very very very long thread on this in the philosophy forum - which is also exceedingly boring to read by now. Wink
GProject
I don't think that it's how much sleep you get, but what you do with the time that you're awake. I know that during term time, I waste so much of my day on pointless exploits, when I should be concentrating on work. I find that if I can get 8 hours a night, then I'll be ok.
juliox
Hi man im trying to stick with your advice bc im sleeping 5 hrs a day not bc i wanted but bc i work and also i go to college, i wake up at 6:20, my first class is at 7 am all the days, i ended up the classes at 10 am all the days, after that i go to play tennis from 10 to 11 on M, W and F, and T and T from 10 to 11 i do some rappel, i start my job at a call center at 3 pm and end it at 11 pm, i get to my house at 11:30 and sometimes i go to bed at 1 am, my hw is from 11 am to 1 pm, sometimes at night i dot it too, most of the time im kind of busy, the only day that i got free is on saturday thats the day that i used to study all the classes and to get fun also in sunday i continue my studies and HW's.
DopeyCriz
I rarely sleep.
ehunter
Thank you for your replies.

Da Rossa wrote:
OMG, this discussion again...
Ok, sleep less, and enjoy the 19 hours that remained. Then, tell us if those 19 hours were more or less profitable than the 16 you should stay awake by sleeping 8.

Sorry Da Rossa, I just want to ask other's advices about their best way to sleep less, not to disscuss whether we should sleep less or more as
ncordell wrote:
I think that it is different for every person

As I find myself rarely have enought time to finish my long 'to-do list of the day' and I don't want to do less.

If my post is not clear, I would like to restate my topic as "How to sleep less efficiently" but still maintain ability to learn.

Kaneda wrote:
Oh, and there's a very very very very long thread on this in the philosophy forum - which is also exceedingly boring to read by now

Thanks Kaneda, I might missed what I am looking for (ways to sleep less) in such a long thread.

juliox wrote:
Hi man im trying to stick with your advice

Hi juliox, you might understand my situation. We need to find some ways to race with time.
Traveller
Get some more sleep, so you can remember to search before mindlessly creating duplicates of an existing topic.

-close-