FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you buy e-books ?

haak_heu
Do u buy e-books ???

If yes what kind of e-books and if no why ??
GProject
No, and I never will because I couldn't stand reading a full book from a screen. Screen text is fine for webpages & short documents, but a full novel? It's not the same as holding the pages in your hand is it really, is it?
Hogwarts
GProject wrote:
No, and I never will because I couldn't stand reading a full book from a screen. Screen text is fine for webpages & short documents, but a full novel? It's not the same as holding the pages in your hand is it really, is it?

Yes. You are right. But, it's also good when you are reading some REALLY REALLY REALLY long books. Such as Harry Potter. Wink

Get a few ebooks, whack them on your pda, and you have an instant library! All in your hand!

Imagine...
JoeFriday
I'm one of those people who feel that opening a book and smelling the paper, along with seeing the font chosen by the publisher, is an integral part of the enjoyment

but at the same time, I've recently discovered the convenience of audiobooks, and in many cases I've really enjoyed them.. at the same time, I've had to quit listening to some because the narrator was unbelievably bad

an ebook is probably a compromise between the two.. convenience offsetting part of the printed experience.. but still leaving most things to your own imagination

I'd prefer to own a first-edition hardcopy.. but for travelling, I can see the advantage of having several ebooks on hand without any added bulk

for those who've done the ebook thing... does it get tiring to read it off the PDA display?
Josso
I'm as people have mentioned above one of those people who likes the feel of a book. I couldn't read on a screen, it even annoys me reading big wads of text on the computer occasionly. You could always of course print it all out but then you have tons of stapled together paper or something, it's just not the same. I can see the concept is good but basically it's not my kind of thing.
zanderzone
Hogwarts wrote:
GProject wrote:

Yes. You are right. But, it's also good when you are reading some REALLY REALLY REALLY long books. Such as Harry Potter. Wink

Get a few ebooks, whack them on your pda, and you have an instant library! All in your hand!

Imagine...

they are good for a pda, but they are not good unless they read to you, but some dont but not alot
Davidgr1200
The great advantage of eBooks on (say) a Palm is that you can have them in your pocket all the time. If you find yourself stuck somewhere with nothing to do you can just take out the Palm and start reading from where you left off. I agree that it is not as much fun as reading from a real book, but it is better that not having anything to read. I also have dictionaries and other reference material on my palm which is perhaps more suited to teh format.
rolex
becous last time o was buying a E book form internet i was riped off
Soulfire
Yeah, I've bought a few - wasn't impressed. Most were strategy guides for games I play. Let me tell you - I was ripped off, but they weren't expensive (under $10 each). It's hard because if you go to buy a book in a store, you can usually get a nice preview of it (i.e. flip through the pages and whatnot), but on the internet, false advertisement is *very* easy.
HoboPelican
I gotta say that I can't stand reading an ebook. I've tried, really. I've had a number of Sherlock Holmes stories on my laptop for years, figuring that I'd read them when I get stuck at the airport. I usually get a page or two into and then start looking for someone to talk to instead Smile There definitely is something about a book that makes reading more enjoyable.

I've seen some articles about flexible screens that have great viewing characteristics, so I'm hopeful that those might have more of the feel of real paper, but we'll just have to wait and see.
alkady
Never, It may be cheaper than buying a book, But its impossible to use because its annoying to have to scroll all the time and you can lose it easily. (eg. Accidental HDD Failure, Lost CD Back Up ect.) Unlike a book, Books aren't that easy to lose. They may break and collect due, But owning the physical version is better because it has alot of advantages such as the fact that you can bring it on the go instead of having to bring a laptop, It doesnt cost alot in a sense to own compared to a ebook and the cost of electricity consumed to read it.
myrevolt
Not in this current stage. I've used e-books from the Gutenberg project (free) to quickly look up quotes (easier than flipping through, just CTRL+F). Whenever e-paper becomes usable and cheap then I'd say, that's when it will take off. Personally I don't like the feel of the paper (especially when they do something stupid to the paper like in the Grapes of Wrath, Barnes & Noble edition). Then flipping through is a pain when you are looking for that one page, such as when you are doing an assignment related to book. Lastly, more often than not I lose my page, because I have to set down the book quickly and holding the page open, particularly when its windy is more annoying than one would think.

P.S. Several of my friends like to carry around 1,000 page novels such as Les Miserables, which is the exact shape of a brick.
Jaime
I don't buy ebooks why i always found in google any information that i need... Google is the best...
limrio
No.. Never... I better borrow them from my friends XD

I hate to buy, and I love anything free and usefull for me Very Happy

in other hand. I like E books, I love it because searching it is sure easy Very Happy
alkady
Damm, If I though of that earlier, I would never had, Had to waste my entire Christmas Break rereading "Cue for Treason" last year. But on the other hand, searching for the info you need without reading the book is dull, Especially if it's for a school project, I wouldn't trust a Doctor who got his Ph.d by using the search feature in a ebook to operate on me for sure.
seanooi
i don't buy e-books is because i don't really like reading, and if i'm required to i can find all the info i need on the internet Laughing
ncwdavid
I would but eBooks sometimes but only ones with alot of information in them. I would never purchase a complete novel as an ebook or a normal book because I just dont like to read novels!
eleceng
I always saw the little readers that they had on Star Trek the next Generation. You would see Captain Picard in his reday room with a cup of coffee and a little pad which was always some famous classical book. I think i could do that......so clearly e-books will work but only on intergalactic star ships
amusic
I don't buy e-book as well. There are a lot of things can be found on the internet for free perhaps from google, yahoo search. However, there is still something that hardly can be found on net, then I will go to library and search for it. Wink
sibbahz
The only time i might buy an E-book is for a game walkthrough, but usually this sort of thing is avaiable free on the internet anyway, so i usually look for a free version before buying them.

Reading a whole book off the computer does'nt appeal to me.
mying
haak_heu wrote:
Do u buy e-books ???

no. because no money to buy
38club
mying wrote:
haak_heu wrote:
Do u buy e-books ???

no. because no money to buy

same with me...ha. :p
meetul
Davidgr1200 wrote:
The great advantage of eBooks on (say) a Palm is that you can have them in your pocket all the time. If you find yourself stuck somewhere with nothing to do you can just take out the Palm and start reading from where you left off. I agree that it is not as much fun as reading from a real book, but it is better that not having anything to read. I also have dictionaries and other reference material on my palm which is perhaps more suited to teh format.

I agree with you and I have read quite a lot of ebooks in the same manner on my phone. It is best way to utilize the time

After all you cannot carry your favourite novels every time you got out but you can and you do carry your mobile phonne or pda every time you go even to a toilet Very Happy

What I mean to convey is that ebooks are much more easier to handle, easier to carry and above all easier to store and consequently easier to search.

Also, most of the electronic versions for the famous books are available free (legally) on the internet or very cheap if not free. This is due to the fact that the cost of publishing, printing and paper is saved in the electronic version.

And you will also be doing a thing with a moral value by saving paper, i.e. saving trees, i.e. saving nature.
eqfan
GProject wrote:

so do i
joxang
Like above...reading from a computer screen is one heck of a pain. The best things about books are the fact that they're small...and portable. Try carrying a laptop into the toilet to read ur latest purchase whilst taking a dump...
olag
I have read ebooks but i have never bought ebooks because, if i buy a book, i prefer a paper book and not a virtual book.
jongoldsz
No, I don't buy ebooks. When you buy one what do you get? Some text document, with no proof that you own it. What happens if your computer dies, you lose the ebook. If you really want a book, just buy one or go to the library.
cfackler
I've never bought an ebook. I'm interested in graphing calculators, though, and have downloaded several free ebooks that can be read on a calculator (handy during boring math classes when you can make it look like you're still doing math.) If I want to read a book, I"ll usually borrow it from someone, get it from the library, or buy a hard copy. I know that there are portable ebook readers, but they're expensive, and I like to take my reading material with me, so reading on the computer would be impracticle.
sheshgiri
not really.. i get a lot of them in my office email.. esp some good top selling books... its like piracy.. but i prefer the hard bound oned..
henrygl
I hate ebooks...longest i read wa a 20 page pdf, and i got a huge headache...unfortunately my school is switching to laptops and ebooks next year, so i'll have to get used to it....but i cant imagine how people actually spend money on this!
Alienz
I don't buy or read ebooks. It made me tired after reading few chapter.
nazty
No! It's hard to read. And it's unsafe to buy online. Phishing!!!
dac_nip
if im not mistaken its FREE. Very Happy , nah just kiddin. but there are lots of e-book available for download for free in the net. it's not your fault if you download it anyway..and ofcourse there's the torrent. Very Happy
zyee
i use PDA as e-book, all in one, it can be use as phone, as e-book, as entertament, as mp3 etc... much better. i can have around 300++ books in my pda, and it is so convenient, i can read whatever book i want, any time, anywhere.
Vrythramax
I have not bought any, but that's not to say I wouldn't (my bookcase is already overflowing). I just haven't come across any titles that I am interested enough in to buy it.