FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Supermodels

jipmerite
The world fashion industry is a multi billion dollar industry now and fashion shows are the best avenue for the world's biggest designers to show off their creations.

We see so many fashion shows being held , both in the west and in the east and among all this, we often hear about models and supermodels. So what does a model have to do to become a supermodel? Are there any fixed criteria to be fulfilled?

Or are supermodels just made up by the media?
Idoru
I'd say your on to an old truth concidering the influence of media. Mabye they
doesn't create super-models, but they sure own the stage on witch they have
to stand. Media is not called the third state-power with out a reason, and they
sure compete to climb in that ranking. Just think about it, and I'm sure you can
come up with lots of people you'd rather see as models then the ones you see
today. Ask your self objectivlly what's the difference, and tell me if discovery
and coverage isn't part of that answer?
JoeFriday
I think being a supermodel is very similar to being a child tv star.. it doesn't take much talent, other than standing where they tell you to, and having the right attitude

but of course physical attraction is important.. having the right frame for clothes to drape well, or a face that makes cosmetics manufacturers' products look like they can do miracles

I wouldn't really blame the 'media' for the rise of supermodels.. it's actually the work of advertising firms that get paid millions of dollars to sell products.. the media doesn't really get involved so much in advertising, the same way a tv station like CBS or Fox News doesn't create the commercials it airs

but what does it take to become a supermodel? stunning looks, willingness to work with ad agency people (generally that means having no creativity of your own, and doing exactly what you're told), and connections.. really good connections
peroxide
Some people are born with the right tools to be a supermodel (height, frame, face, hair), but most are just sculpted out of an ordinary human on the street, then with the right amount of luck and packaging soon they'll be on the face of every magazine out there.
Ellosha
Supermodels seem to be models that work for a major corporation. Usually whose names are associated with that corporation, if even for a short time. (Such as Tyra Banks with Victoria's Secret)

Of course, I could be wrong and they could just be a way for the industry to focus more attention on the models they want attention to be focused on.
cfackler
I also think you are probably right with your last sentiment. The media has control over who they air as supermodels, and there are many women who are better looking (in my opinion) than those who are 'supermodels'.
leat397
A childish and stupid question, would there any sex relationship between photographers, designers....with the models? I'm conservatives that alwasy believe those girls would be very open and easy to have casual sex @.@....(yeah, a chapter of American Next Top Model did show that...)
I know it's really a bit stupid...
Jaiye
leat397 wrote:
A childish and stupid question, would there any sex relationship between photographers, designers....with the models? I'm conservatives that alwasy believe those girls would be very open and easy to have casual sex @.@....(yeah, a chapter of American Next Top Model did show that...)

well, you have to remember: most of the male photographers/designers are gay, so that kinda puts a stop to that avenue. but if you're looking to point out a group that has casual sex a lot, you could find it anywhere in any shape or form, not only from models.
jipmerite
Jaiye wrote:
leat397 wrote:

well, you have to remember: most of the male photographers/designers are gay, so that kinda puts a stop to that avenue. but if you're looking to point out a group that has casual sex a lot, you could find it anywhere in any shape or form, not only from models.

If you mean that sex is common in modelling circles then I think yes. Sex is like scratching an itch in such circles...hehe.

But I don't think a model has to sleep with every producer or designer to get a job. Perhaps they do have to do it in order to get into the modelling fast lane. But once they are there, the seldom feel obliged to do it.
alkady
It takes no genuise to guess what a model needs to do to become a supermodel. In life there is a saying that their is no such thing as a "Free Lunch" and this applies everywhere.

A Supermodel needs to be attractive and talented (Yes...Talented) I'm not talking about being able to sing, But more likely being able to act natural as a model, Like a actor tries to get into the character they play and act like that character would act. Models do the same, If they have to be naughty, They have to be able to act naughty.

But if we define supermodel, It would be someone that is well known and reputated and is paid alot. To get there, You need alot of connections, Without connections, Your stuck posting on classifieds for a few modelling jobs. Thats why you need a agent who has connections.

If you intent to be a supermodel, Build up a nice portfolio, Get a agent and start appearing freely at charitable events. ect. Get involved. that how you become known. Because you meet new people and get more awareness.

In the beginning you don't exist to people, They don't know you do. You need to show that you do. It's just like posting on Frihost. When I first started posting here I was nothing, But over the months I must have posted in atleast 5% of the forum and every active member must know who I am.