FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virual Memory concept & system speed :-)

anshu
If we have window xp installed . and our ram is only 256 mb and it i had increased the virtual memory till 900mb ????

does it helps increasing the system speed
its quiet tricky to be with most optomised system. but even will the speed will be affected by increasing the system virtual memory
anshu
my pc is celeron pc with 1.2 gb processor speed and ram is 256 mb

when the photoshop runs over it sometime all the things just go hand even keyboard lights get still . task manager didn't works

i had increased my virtual memory ..
can it work..
but still i am getting the same prob. but sometimes.
currently my virtual memory is 512-900mb

?? what u think is there any other problem too ???
otiscom
You should increase your physical memory and let Windows manage the the page file.
Darius
Phisical memory is the firs thing that counts for speed. No matter how much you increase, with 256MB ram, it won't make much of a difference.
bytebase
512 mb physical memory at least, 1 gb is best for programmer.
virtual memory is slower, and damaging to your harddisk, and losing datawhen power off suddenly.

bytebase
S3nd K3ys
otiscom wrote:
You should increase your physical memory and let Windows manage the the page file.

Yes, increase your memory.

No, don't let Windows manage your swap file. Delete it or set it to a fixed size.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1679901,00.asp
urbanbuddha
Since you only have 256MB, a good rule of thumb is to make the min and max page file to only double your physical RAM size. So your page file should be 512MB for Min and Max.

If anyone has RAM greater than or equal to 512MB or more, they should just make the page size equal to their physical instead of the aforementioned rule of thumb. It wouldn't be good for your computer to deal with 2GB page files Wink
ocalhoun
Virtual memory is stored on your hard drive!
Now, which is faster, your RAM, or your hard drive?
Using virtual memory will slow down your computer severely, not the opposite.
Virtual memory is really just the last resort to keep your computer from crashing due to insufficient memory.

You should leave the virtual memory controls alone, and either shut down some background applications or get more RAM.