FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Animes and Endings never combine well...

Farhad
I just wrapped up watching the uncensored version of Gantz. The last episode made me scream and punch my wall in utter frustration, the ending was incrediably weak! It made no sense and offered no closure after deepening a mystery over the length of 26 episodes!

Sitting there annoyed as hell I started to think back to all the Anime series I watched and trying to find one were the ending did not frustrate me in some way... and I couldn't come up with a single one. The following is my list of shitty ending animes:

1. Gantz - WTF? Scream? Punch? Destroy all nearby objects...
2. Shonen Bat - WHAT THE ******?
3. Berserk - ARGHHH!!!
4. Hellgate - What??? WHAT???
5. Neon Genesis Evangalion - OMG not only was it horrible it made me question my sanity
6. FLCL - HUH?

Argh! I don't understand. Why is it so hard to wrap up a mystery? To offer some sense of closure to the viewer? Why do they lead you and frustrate you and leave you utterly clueless and pissed off that you wasted so much time following a series...

One thing I don't know is whether or not a shitty ending is worse or having a show that never seems to end and resolve your questions *cough*Naruto*cough*

Argghgh!!!! *Destroys all furniture*
Rebzie
I've only seen FLCL and i personally liked the lofty ending.
GProject
I like the ending of the Cowboy Bebop series - it certainly brought a nice conclusion to the events that preceeded it. But for the most part, I agree with you - anime endings can be a bit dire.
Scaramanga
I'm just curious, why does everything have to end all nice and neat, tied up with a ribbon of happy-ending? Life ain't like that, why should anime be either?

Also, a lot of anime that are based on manga are forced to have odd endings because the anime production passed the manga in story, so the writers often have to come with hackneyed endings that don't often make much sense.

What exactly is this 'Hellgate' anime you mention?
carlokes
Ok...

NGE ending really makes you question your sanity...watch the movies if you really want to confirm that you were driven insane by the anime...my recommendation? watch until episode 23 and then think everything went fine.

Berserk ending makes you hope for a new season, Period !

FLCL ending is....well the whole anime is crazy from the first minute to the last so an ending like that had to happen right?

Gantz has a weird ending like "sorry no more imagination so we're going to end this..." but i loved the show, and i axtually understad the way it ends but not why...

There are also the sad endings that make you almost (if not really) drop a tear like Chrono Crusade or Gungrave (friendship ftw)

Stay Cool !!
limrio
well. that's the weak point of anime, Like Slam Dunk, the ending is sure annoying..
the other is, Doraemon, where is the ending?
Dark_Jedi06
I thought FLCL had a great ending, heck it almost made me cry...poor Naota. Sad

And I agree, some animes are just far too long...how can you keep track of what's going on if your on the 148th episode? Razz
Farhad
Am not asking that anime end in happy dolittle endings. I would just prefer endings that conclude the various strings of plot that were developed. I just finished another series and I must say I very pleased with the way the series ended.

Am talking about RahXephon. Excellent characterization and story. The ending is probably the best ending I have seen ever.

Last Exile also concluded well I believe.

And Scaramanga, its Hellsing not Hellgate... Sorry my mistake.

The worst Anime I seen in terms of stupid fillers.... Naruto.
jasmine
I agree that not all anime have good endings. But take into consideration that some of these are actually good.

Example is that of Escaflowne, they didn't end up together at the end but it leaves an ache in the heart which makes the series memorable.
Scaramanga
Farhad wrote:
Am not asking that anime end in happy dolittle endings. I would just prefer endings that conclude the various strings of plot that were developed. I just finished another series and I must say I very pleased with the way the series ended.

Am talking about RahXephon. Excellent characterization and story. The ending is probably the best ending I have seen ever.

Last Exile also concluded well I believe.

And Scaramanga, its Hellsing not Hellgate... Sorry my mistake.

The worst Anime I seen in terms of stupid fillers.... Naruto.

Ahh then most likely what you're referring to is a case of the second scenarios I mentioned (at least Hellsing and Gantz are subject to this,) where the manga hasn't finished yet and now the anime has surpassed the manga in story.

And I concur with you regarding the endings of RahXephon and Last Exile, which are both excellent shows.

Also I would like to posit that sometimes it's not the ending that matters, but the journey there.
QrafTee
The end of Evangelion is actually in the last movie, not the last anime episode... then again it does make you question your sanity. I felt that the movie wrapped up the anime better and it was much more emotional. The other anime you've mentioned... never seen'em or heard'em.

Farhad wrote:
I just wrapped up watching the uncensored version of Gantz. The last episode made me scream and punch my wall in utter frustration, the ending was incrediably weak! It made no sense and offered no closure after deepening a mystery over the length of 26 episodes!

Sitting there annoyed as hell I started to think back to all the Anime series I watched and trying to find one were the ending did not frustrate me in some way... and I couldn't come up with a single one. The following is my list of shitty ending animes:

1. Gantz - WTF? Scream? Punch? Destroy all nearby objects...
2. Shonen Bat - WHAT THE ****?
3. Berserk - ARGHHH!!!
4. Hellgate - What??? WHAT???
5. Neon Genesis Evangalion - OMG not only was it horrible it made me question my sanity
6. FLCL - HUH?

Argh! I don't understand. Why is it so hard to wrap up a mystery? To offer some sense of closure to the viewer? Why do they lead you and frustrate you and leave you utterly clueless and pissed off that you wasted so much time following a series...

One thing I don't know is whether or not a shitty ending is worse or having a show that never seems to end and resolve your questions *cough*Naruto*cough*

Argghgh!!!! *Destroys all furniture*
Scaramanga
QrafTee wrote:
The end of Evangelion is actually in the last movie, not the last anime episode... then again it does make you question your sanity. I felt that the movie wrapped up the anime better and it was much more emotional. The other anime you've mentioned... never seen'em or heard'em.

Uhhh actually the TV series was the original legitimate ending to the show. It's just that fans couldn't let it go, and seeing as how popular it had become Gainax decided to release more material a year AFTER it had finished airing (that was Death & Rebirth.) Then later that same year, after death threats and various fan outcry, Hideaki Anno aggravatedly made End of Evangelion as a final F-you to fans (in fact you can SEE one of the death threats he received in End of...)
QrafTee
Is that so? I just heard that the guy went crazy by the end of the anime series and made the last episode pieces of everything which ended up amounting to nothing in his trying to represent something which I still do not know anything about because to me it's basically a lot of Japanese people walking around with words flashing about. At least that's what it looks like to me.
Scaramanga wrote:
Uhhh actually the TV series was the original legitimate ending to the show. It's just that fans couldn't let it go, and seeing as how popular it had become Gainax decided to release more material a year AFTER it had finished airing (that was Death & Rebirth.) Then later that same year, after death threats and various fan outcry, Hideaki Anno aggravatedly made End of Evangelion as a final F-you to fans (in fact you can SEE one of the death threats he received in End of...)
Farhad
I also heard these things about the guy behind NGE. But reading up on it on Wikipedia it says that he was mentally unstable before creating NGE and not during or afterwards. And the mental anguish/depression he suffered is one of the things he drew from in creating NGE.

However the ending as it was shown in the anime makes no sense, everything breaks down becoming a completely abstract, psychologically exploration of various characters in NGE.

Me? I really don't know. It was weird and didn't offer any sense of closure, so I disliked it. Also I was extremely high when I watched the ending a couple of years ago and all it amounted to was a big mind ******.

I dislike though Gainax's repeat offenses of overspending its animation budget early on in its shows and then re-using the same animation in the ends. Previously I thought it was a extremely potent use of foreshadowing in anime, then I realized I was an idiot and saw it for what it was....
Monkeydog
I like Eva's ending, but that's just me...it's really weird though.

Cowboy Bebop's ending rocks, and I liked FLCL's...and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashis. Love Hina's was alright...Air's made me cry like a little baby...

Negima's sucks ass though...and FMA's wasn't that great.
Scaramanga
Monkeydog wrote:
...and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi's.

See I loved Abenoboshi, but I was a bit put off by the ending.

Monkeydog wrote:

Air's made me cry like a little baby...

I think Kanon has it beat though... I started crying about halfway through and didn't stop until the end.

Monkeydog wrote:

Negima's sucks *** though...

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking here. Maybe we can hope it'll better in the remake series to be released later this year.
Monkeydog
Yeah, MSAA's ending is a bit...eh...but I still kind of liked it. I really couldn't think of a better way to end it.

and I wanna see Kanon...badly...
xframe
What ending of EVA are you talking about? the series ending in eps 24 and 25 or the movie end of evangelion. i agree the series ending was weird and left me guessing on alot of things. end of evangelion was amazing as long as you can understand the story of EVA which many people cannot. you also cant be one of those people who NEED a happy ending tho depending on what way you look at EoE it can be a happy ending.
Etcetera
Personally, I frequently purposely miss the last episodes of animes because I know I'll be disappointed by them. Usually I'm quite saddened by the ends of animes or am just completely mad so it's sometimes nicer to avoid all that and just live in the standstill of the anime. But sometimes I do wonder whatever happened to Kira Yamato >.<..
Scaramanga
Etcetera wrote:
Personally, I frequently purposely miss the last episodes of animes because I know I'll be disappointed by them. Usually I'm quite saddened by the ends of animes or am just completely mad so it's sometimes nicer to avoid all that and just live in the standstill of the anime. But sometimes I do wonder whatever happened to Kira Yamato >.<..

It looks like you're setting yourself up for disappointment though. I mean of course if you THINK you're going to be disappointed, chances are you are. All in all, I'd say out of all the anime I watch on a regular basis, Only about one-third of them end poorly. Now of couse, if by "bad ending" you mean an ending that isn't how YOU wanted it to end, not much to be done about that. Although I sure do wish people would learn that not everything is going to end up how they want, and just accept things.
Cthulhuman
Farhad wrote:
I felt the same way when I finished Gantz. I was like NOOO because it reminded me of the book the giver that I had to read in sixth grade. I hated that book with a passion, and now they did almost the same thing with an anime. But every other part of the series was great I loved gantz but the ending blew