FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

using templates---bad?

IceNinjaa
im not very familiar with photoshop to design anything and i just decided to use a template ([url]eyesandears.frih.net[/url]). my doubts are is it really taking away from the whole experience if i just use a template rather than constructing by hand?[/url]
Donutey
Once you've got a template in place, you can always edit it later, so i wouldn't worry too much. Templates offer an easy way to get a site up fast, and if thats what your looking for, go for it. Otherwise, design it yourself, it might not look as good, but you'll know the site better and be able to "work" the code better.
HDirtwater
For someone like me who knows barely the basics of html, templates are essential. I don't use them anymore since I started using a wysiwyg editor for my webpage. The one I use is SiteSpinner (http://virtualmechanics.com/products/spinner/index.html), and I like it quite a bit.

Wink
Donutey
HDirtwater wrote:
For someone like me who knows barely the basics of html, templates are essential. I don't use them anymore since I started using a wysiwyg editor for my webpage. The one I use is SiteSpinner (http://virtualmechanics.com/products/spinner/index.html), and I like it quite a bit.

Wink

Your site is the first I've seen in a while that uses Mystery Meat navigation Rolling Eyes *chuckle* lol.
Eyre
Templates are good for people who don't know how to do websites. So if you want a website, but don't know how to make one, they are awesome. And like someone said before me, you can always go edit them later. Also, if you want to learn how to make a site, but don't want to wait, you can use a template to put up a temporary one while you learn. In the end it doesnt really take away from the users experience.
gvit
I found this forum extremely helpful. i'm an artist who needs a portfolio site for my own self promo, but i didn't want to seem un-creative by using a template. but seeing how the template works really helped me to understand how to create a site.
pll
Surely you would have learned some new things by desinging your own website. But using templates is one of the better way to make a website fastly. Now you just have to write content of your website and upload it on FRIhost. And now you have more time to do other things on your website (SEO, finding traffic, why dont do a forum ?) and things like that.

Good luck with your new template Wink
achene
Templates are good if you are new to designing websites.
Of cause its always nice to design it yourself because its fun and you can give your site a personal touch.
healyrj
I personally like using templates. They have their place. Unless you want a specific design, templates provide a neat, professional look to your website. Try "Trendy Flash". Well worth a try
littlegiant
It's not the fact that you're using a template that really matters but rather HOW you use the template. If you fill it up with some good original content then no one's going to notice (or even care).
healyrj
Templates are good for beginners and good for particular types of site. If you don't mind limiting yourself to a particular set of designs and would like a contemporary design that looks good and works perfectly straight away - sure, go for templates. If you want to customise your site and edit easily yourself, get Dreamweaver.