FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bush and Blair chatting about the mideast next to an open mi

datter
This will show up here sooner or later, might as well post it now;

Quote:

An unguarded moment
Mon 17 Jul 2006

Listen to Tony Blair and George Bush discussing the Middle East in front of a microphone they didn't realise was on. Not surprisingly, the crisis in the Middle East has dominated the G8 summit in St Petersburg.

In a private conversation with Tony Blair, George Bush spoke candidly about the situation and what he believes needs to be done. What both men didn't realise was that a microphone was still switched on.

Viewers are warned - the American president used some undiplomatic language.

Video Transcript

The video shows a sequence of shots as the G8 guests prepared to eat. In the audio you can hear what is being said between the two leaders. Parts of the conversation are inaudible and here is what we think was said:

George Bush: Yeah Blair, what are you doing?
Tony Blair: I'm just...
GB: You're leaving?
TB: No, no, no not yet. On this trade thingy...[inaudible]
GB: yeah I told that to the man
TB: Are you planning to say that here or not?
GB: If you want me to
TB: Well, it's just that if the discussion arises...
GB: I just want some movement.
TB: Yeah
GB: Yesterday we didn't see much movement
TB: No, no, it may be that it's not, it maybe that it's impossible
GB: I am prepared to say it
TB: But it's just I think what we need to be is in a position&
GB: Who is introducing the trade?
TB: Angela
GB: Tell her to call 'em
TB: Yes
GB: Tell her to put me on the spot. Thanks for sweater it's awfully thoughtful of you
TB: It's a pleasure
GB: I know you picked it out yourself
TB: Oh, absolutely, in fact I knitted it. [Laughter]
GB: What about Kofi [inaudible] his attitude to ceasefire and everything else ... happens
TB: Yeah, no I think the [inaudible] is really difficult. We can't stop this unless you get this international business agreed.
GB: Yeah
TB: I don't know what you guys have talked about Israel, but as I say I am perfectly happy to try and see what the lie of the land is - but you need that done quickly because otherwise it will spiral
GB: I think Condi is going to go pretty soon
TB: But that's, that's all that matters. But if you, you see it will take some time to get that together
GB: Yeah, yeah
TB: But at least it gives people...
GB: It's a process, I agree. I told her your offer too...
TB: Well...it's only if I mean... you know. If she's got a..., or if she needs the ground prepared as it were... Because obviously if she goes out, she's got to succeed as it were, whereas I can go out and just talk
GB: You see, the irony is what they need to do is to get Syria, to get Hezbollah to stop doing this shit and it's over
TB: [inaudible]
GB: [inaudible]
TB: Syria
GB: Why?
TB: Because I think this is all part of the same thing
GB: Yeah.
TB: What does he think? He thinks if Lebanon turns out fine, if we get a solution in Israel and Palestine, Iraq goes in the right way...
GB: Yeah, yeah, he is sweet
TB: He is honey. And that's what the whole thing is about. It's the same with Iraq
GB: I felt like telling Kofi to call, to get on the phone to Bashir Assad and make something happen
TB: Yeah
GB: [inaudible]
TB:
GB: We are not blaming the Lebanese government
TB: Is this...?

[Tony Blair is seen reaching towards the microphone and the sound is cut off at this point].

See the video here

datter
Scotty Too Hotty
wow, that is quite interesting, but still not surprising. I highly doubt that the microphone was left on "unintentionally" but who am i to say tht, im just a crazy canadian ally!
CrimsonStrange
Here's a more coherent but highly edited version & translation of what datter originally posted - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060717/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_group_mideast_bush

Source: Yahoo News/Reuters

Who knows what's legit & what's strictly for effect anymore in this country?

But I do know that if you've still got one of those old, big satellite dishes and are willing to hop transponders & tune for a while, you can usually run up on raw feeds of interviews/news stories from all over the place... and you hear and see some of the funniest/scariest/dumbest stuff!
woundedhealer
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
wow, that is quite interesting, but still not surprising. I highly doubt that the microphone was left on "unintentionally" but who am i to say tht, im just a crazy canadian ally!

Tony Blair could not have known the mike was on. This was not a conversation between equals. Can you imagine Margret Thatcher being greeted 'yo Thtcher' {that's how my newpaper reported the greeting] and standing while George Bush carries on eating. George Bush is showing Tony Blair a total lack of respect & Tony Blair is allowing him to.
Quote:
GB: Tell her to put me on the spot.

Here Bush is telling Blair what to do. It's not a request, it's an order. Has Blair no pride?
We'vw always known where Blair's nose is, and this conversation proves it.
S3nd K3ys
woundedhealer wrote:
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:

Tony Blair could not have known the mike was on. This was not a conversation between equals. Can you imagine Margret Thatcher being greeted 'yo Thtcher' {that's how my newpaper reported the greeting] and standing while George Bush carries on eating. George Bush is showing Tony Blair a total lack of respect & Tony Blair is allowing him to.
Quote:

Here Bush is telling Blair what to do. It's not a request, it's an order. Has Blair no pride?

This conversation proves nothing except your obsession with GW and TB Laughing Laughing Laughing
Josso
That's quite interesting... Shocked Yeah I always knew he was bossed around effectively though.
woundedhealer
S3nd K3ys wrote:
woundedhealer wrote:
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:

Quote:

This conversation proves nothing except your obsession with GW and TB Laughing Laughing Laughing

Obsession? Since when did showing an interest in what the papers report turn into an obsession?

As for my comments, I was pointing out what many of us have known for a long time. Tony Blair is George Bush's lapdog. That is scary. Blair is supposed to be the prime minister of GB.
Soulfire
This makes me chuckle. Amazing how people can make such huge ordeals out of the tiniest of things.