FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dells site?

Saber
Has anyone else noticed how on dells site,... the prices change from where you link from?

I was looking into buying a laptop and I remembered that I can get 'student' prices... so I linked from that.. set up a pc... thought that it seemed to cost more than what I had looked at before.. Went in normally, set up the same exact laptop....

Large price drop....

I started to look around and I still dont understand how prices should/could be that different with going thrugh other links...

anyone else have this happen?
HoboPelican
Saber wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how on dells site,... the prices change from where you link from?

I was looking into buying a laptop and I remembered that I can get 'student' prices... so I linked from that.. set up a pc... thought that it seemed to cost more than what I had looked at before.. Went in normally, set up the same exact laptop....

Large price drop....

I started to look around and I still dont understand how prices should/could be that different with going thrugh other links...

anyone else have this happen?

I seem to remember the same thing a couple of years ago. Seemed when I accepted a deal, they changed a few items on the computer. Like switching OS, forcing a modem, etc. They burned me on one of their "double memory" deals, also. Totally reneged on it.

I also think that their "award winning" customer support is terrrible anymore, Actually, do they even advertise that anymore? I steer clear of Dell completely anymore and advise my friends and co-workers to do the same.
Saber
well normally I stay away from dell also, but I was thinking about getting a laptop and I dont really like(or have other issues with) thinkpads, sony, toshiba, um.. yah.. I just dont know anymore. Any suggestions of a site that has comapanies compaired or input on laptops..(I know the other posts and reading them)

I just find that its sorta stupid that dell is so bad with their users.
IceNinjaa
i swear i never understand why people always bad mouth dell. like ive never had any issues with them and its hard to beat the price and customizing options.

their supports isnt as bad as most say either. ive been able to get everything handled in a timely fashion. i just use dell chat as its the easiest method with the least confusion.

granted i wont buy another desktop from anyone anymore rather just build my own. but until laptop parts become cheaper ill still buy from a name brand.
HoboPelican
IceNinjaa wrote:

their supports isnt as bad as most say either. ive been able to get everything handled in a timely fashion. i just use dell chat as its the easiest method with the least confusion.

Glad you had good experiences with them, but keep in mind that others have had a bad one. Chat works fine, but the issues I had were a little complex and every time I got a first tier person, they went through the whole noobie restart, uninstall your drivers, reinstall them and repeat until you want to throttle them. My telling them I had done all that had no effect. You couldn't get passed to the next tier until you followed along with all of the basic stuff that I had done on my own. When I finally got insistent that they put me through to the next level, one of their first tiers hung up on me. And no, I wasn't rude, just insistent that I talk to her manager or the next level up.

And reneging on a published deal (I had paper work and copies of the site pages) is just wrong.
NatetheGreat
IceNinjaa wrote:
i swear i never understand why people always bad mouth dell. like ive never had any issues with them and its hard to beat the price and customizing options.

Same here. Razz Oh, well...
erlendhg
Oh, when you are talking about Dell, I'm thinking of the terrible Dell advertisment that went on Norwegian television for a while ago.
A man is running from shop to shop with a dell ad under his arms. Then he drops it, and somone picks it up and says "Ah, Dell" with a incredible annoying voice, "...you can't find it in the shops, just call them or go online"Razz

When you are talking about a link that gives different prices from where it is clicked on, it seems to me that the site runs a script that changes the price, if the referer site is "this" or "that".
nonte
I suppose there's a bug in the script and if you are sure why not inform the site admin. May be you will get a free Laptop Wink
HoboPelican
nonte wrote:
I suppose there's a bug in the script and if you are sure why not inform the site admin. May be you will get a free Laptop Wink

I did. They didn't care. Dell is simply to big and has lost it's soul. Smile