FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How long have you gone without sleep?

jipmerite
My record of going without sleep will be about 30 hours. How about yours?

I read somewhere that if a guy went without sleep, by about 72 hours he would start seeing helluscinations. A friend of mine and I thought it would be fun and made plain to do it...but by around 30 to 35 hrs hours we start nodding off while sitting and even while standing... Laughing

So what about your experience?
Jaiye
my record is about 40hrs.

my mom made me go pick up my brother from some place ~1.5 hours away (each way) after i had been awake for like 31 hours. I'm suprised i came back from that alive (i almost ran a few people over also. very scary).

she said she didn't believe me when I told her I didn't sleep all night.
SgtGarcia
I sometimes watch some movies al night with some friends, i think i made it to 30 hours without sleep by just skipping one night of sleep.
sibbahz
I think i dont very often manage more than about 20 hours, i usually end up just falling asleep eventually if i want to or not.
Had many nights where i only sleep for an hour or so though, mostly when im out till 3am, get home drunk, fall asleep and wake up again soon after then cant sleep again.
tlambert
My record is 36 hours, but that was some years ago. I've had the kissing disease a while ago, since then I need a huge amount of sleep. It's a superb day if I can make 18 hours... Anyone with the same experience?
kronso.23
I've played Diablo 2 for nearly 2 days straight Laughing. I'd say about 40 something hours...
crimson_aria
I can't exactly remember. But, I think, between 25-30 hours without sleep.
n0isehazard
My record is... Hmmm... My record is about 3 days. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm always lacking sleep. =>w<= Like right now I'm struggling to finish my homework because I accidentally slept in. (Note: I do my homework in the morning, so yeah. =^^Speak to the hand )

Gosh, I'm gonna be late...
computeworldwide
n0isehazard wrote:
... right now I'm struggling to finish my homework because I accidentally slept in...

Nice try, but unless chat posting is part of your homework, you've gotten distracted... Smile
rightclickscott
Wow, I topped all of you.

I once did a project called "Sleep Deprivation Week." 7 straight days without any sleep. After day 2, I started getting sluggish. Day 3, I could hardly walk. After day 5, I had someone drag me everywhere, and if I couldn't find anyone, I had to crawl. When it was over, I was so relieved that I slept for 2 days straight. What the worst thing about that is, I did that 3 times. On my next one, I'm planning to video tape it and make a documentary. I do so many things which are terrible for my health, and these just add on to them. I haven't actually done it in awhile though, but if you want to attempt it, I have to give you a very very strong CAUTION. I did them under extreme supervision, and stuff like even eating and going to the bathroom were very hard. High amounts of caffiene will only make it harder for you. I do this in the name of science, and to have bragging rights. If you want to attempt it, please, contact me first and I will give you everything you need to know, but I have to tell you again, CAUTION!!! This is not for the faint of heart, or people who can't take not being able to sleep at all. I used to be an insomniac, but, lately, I've been getting to bed early, so I can prepare for my next one, but please, do not attempt this without extreme supervision.

</rant>
OutlawSpirit
nearly 2 days... thats all im capable of Laughing
Yjaxygames
Dunno, at least 24 hours, maybe more, but I don't remember ...
S3nd K3ys
6 days for me. Moderate to extreme visual alucinations after about 4 or 5. Voices (very clear voices) at day 6.
skygaia
Well.. my record is about 35 hours.
When I was young, I went to a big mountain with my friends. We started at 5 A.M to go through the mountain. But we got lost. It was big.. big mountain and there were no people there. So we tried to find the way for several hours but we didn't. At night we couldn't keep going but also sleep.

At that time we were just 16 year boys. So we got afraid of black night.
Fortuantely next day noon someone found us and took us safe place..

Um....
And when I worked for my formal company, I had worked for 3 days withou sleep. that made me stop working for the company..
datter
Just over 48 hours, though that wasn't a "natural" occurance if you know what I mean.

datter
m00tmuffin
Haven't gone over three days without sleep, but that's crazy rightclickscott! A whole week...you nut. Razz
SusieSmacktard
Let's see....I once went about 32 hours, and I started hallucinating while I was driving. Not good. I gave up sleep deprivation long ago.
Saber
I personally dont know how long I have gone without sleep, so.. I found these sites.. I found them worth reading,

http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm
and
http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2000_02_09_Sleep.html
Jaime
75 Hours... I feel horrible before to sleep...

But that's nothing compared with a patient that I see, she don't sleep in 20 DAYS...
scryoko
Oh wow. Thank you, Saber, for posting the links. I have yet to read the article by the U.C. San Diego Medical Center but I did click on the other link about the forty facts about sleep -- which, is true, we didn't know (well, I didn't anyway...). But damn, that is sooo interesting! I was blown away just after reading the fist fact... But really, 18 DAYS, 21 hours, and 40 minutes... Holy... That... that is completely amazing... Of course, when I read the second sentence that the person suffered from hallucinations, paranoia, etc., I couldn't help but wince at that. Those, er, side effects? consequences? were, of course, understandable. But still... I'm still in awe...

After all, the most I've ever stayed awake is about sixty hours, I believe. And by then, I felt absolutely... shitty, for lack of a better term. During and even after I had gotten sleep. Then again, I was only able to get five hours of sleep and I was abruptly woken for school, so that didn't help to rid the feeling of sheer shittiness (not a word, I know, lol, but I'm beginning to like the word... lol).

Regards,
-- scryoko
Vrythramax
I have gone approx. 4.5 days without any sleep and very little rest while in the service...then I started seeing shadows in my periphial vision and I always thought someone (something) was behind me. I can tell you for sure lack of sleep will cause hallucinations.
CrimsonStrange
Same deal as S3nd K3ys - a little over 6 days & nights without any rest. Mine was due to a really nasty sinus infection that made it impossible to fall asleep without choking on the gunk draining out of my sinuses and down the back of my throat.
And I experienced the same things - auditory & visual hallucinations, and head/body aches like you would not believe for a week afterwards.
And I honestly haven't been the same since - I now have a very hard time falling & staying asleep and am prone to frequent nightmares.
Sleep deprivation is not cool, by any means. It wreaks havoc on both your body & your mind.
And it certainly isn't anything that someone should do willingly, just to "prove themselves", earn "bragging rights" or set some dumb record. Rolling Eyes
yaashop
mine one is about 30 hrs only (becoz of online game!) and my friend did like almost 48 hrs straight non-sleep i think. he's hardcore gamer (maybe) and i swear i will never do that again (few eat no sleep. it's nothing when u were playign games but after that.... oh man it's pain. i slept like 20 hrs straight lol)
Jayfarer
36 hours during finals week. It was miserable, I dont know how any of you can do more than that.
shwetanshu
i have gone wuithout sleep for 3 dayz just to revise for my engg exam... but then also i didnt clear it Crying or Very sad
raver
about 57 hours at the very least. But i don't think this is a bragging matter. Your brain needs sleep. If it doesn't you start having hallucinations and stuff. I've stopped all night gaming, so i can go to work and actually do something Very Happy
jipmerite
Wow... I did not expect that so many people would have done it already. I guess I certainly cannot brag about my 30 odd hours...hehe.

I know the body and mind needs rest. But still, for us normal folk, the prospect of experiencing hellucinations is a bit exciting. But after reading through rightclickscott's post I myself have a mind to do it only with people around me. Don't want to end up hurting myself.

So from those of you who have had such hellucinations, how about some descriptions of what yor saw/heard...
The Czar
I was awake for 24 hours. Once when I was nine I think.
Hurts!
Jaiye
jipmerite wrote:
[color=darkblue]But after reading through rightclickscott's post I myself have a mind to do it only with people around me.

I don't think it would be possible to do it alone. I would go insame to the point of sleep.
poisonhzkj
my record is 4 days...it's such a bad experience....
Vanilla
ABout 70 hours. I used to have a serious insomnia problem, and was always in a bad humour. Ok, actually I'm not a lot better, but I'm better now. It's 4:11 am in Brazil, and I'm really awake. Shocked
izcool
There's only about 2 times for me where I was up for quite a long time.

The first time I done it a few years ago, on a Saturday, where I woke up a bit early (7AM) and was on the computer all the way until 9AM the next morning. My one online friend forced me into doing it because he wanted to see how long I could make it for. Very Happy If I did my math right, that was 26 hours nonstop. Man was I dead after that. I wound up sleeping until like 1PM, like how I normally would.

The other time was only just last week. Last week I was going on my vacation to Ohio to meet a friend of mine online (different from the one that I mentioned above). I was up on Sunday morning at 6AM and went to sleep at around 11PM (I was in bed by 9PM but I wasn't asleep for 2 hours) and at around 2AM (I got 2 hours sleep then) I was up on Monday morning to leave for my trip. I was up all day on Monday until like 2AM the following day (that was Tuesday). I dunno what the heck I was wired on to keep me up for so long (it might have been the excessive amount of Pepsi I was drinking all day long) but I woke back up at 9AM on Tuesday. So I guess you would call that like 42 hours, if you were to disregard the 2 hours sleep in between.

Honestly, I wish they put more hours in a day. I like being awake and I like being asleep. I'm awake late into the night (like right now it's 2:34AM) but I normally wind up sleeping in until like 2PM.

- Mike.
elcyron
44 hours on a f*ckparadeweekend.
it included 8 hours of work and two or three parties.
obviously i was tired, but even worse every muscle hurt. i couldn't move, sit or stand without pain.
haak_heu
i remain without sleep for 3 days and it was due to my exaims and i took
alot of cafiene ..i took tea and coffee after that i slept for 2 days and i was
hardly waking up for meal ..it was a great experience but now a days i cant
remain even for 24 hours i dont know why ????
frozenhead
Mine is 38 hours. I was rushing with my projects because that time, deadline was near and I had I lot of stuffz to wrap up. I realize procastinang sometimes will make you sick by then I didn't do it again.

Wink
CrimsonStrange
jipmerite wrote:
So from those of you who have had such hellucinations, how about some descriptions of what you saw/heard...

Well, what I remember seeing were basically quick movements out of the corners of my eyes; unclear, y'know. And of course, when I turned my head to glance at what I thought I saw, nothing was there. Patterns (designs in material/clothing, woodgrain, carpet, etc.) seemed to undulate and move around slowly, almost like the slithering movement of a snake.
My vision actually got blurry after about 4 days, and I was extremely light-sensitive.
I heard voices that sounded like distant talking in another room of the house, or like the sound of a television playing somewhere nearby; indistinct.
I could hear my own heartbeat thudding in my ears at times, or this low, constant roaring or whoosing sound, like high wind; impossible to concentrate or remember much of anything.

I was easily frightened, paranoid, clumsy, weak and just miserable, in general.

When I was finally able to sleep, I literally passed-out from exhaustion. Even though I was eating & drinking as much as the sinus infection would allow me to, I also lost weight during those 6 days/nights - I weighed 4 pounds less after I got back on a decent sleeping schedule.
And after the initial "big sleep" to rejuvenate, I haven't been able to sleep a full, restful 8 hours since then.

Overall, it was not a pleasant experience.
Josso
About 30 hours I think near enough. Flew into Athens airport overnight, then got not sleep at the airport, got stuck in Athens for hours after getting severely lost. Eventually got a coach journey to our first destination but it took a long time overal. As I was quite ill at the time it was quite weird, started vaguely "tripping out" by the end... only minorly but still I don't want to do that again.

My brother once said he stayed up in 3 days in Glasgow after having a VIP pass for lots of bars for some reason. By the end he said there were slight hallucinations, he reckons "not advisable"... Very Happy

Quote:
On my next one, I'm planning to video tape it and make a documentary

That sounds interesting, are there any films like this already in existance?
Alienz
My record was two and the half days during my chalet Razz
Jeslyn
Not long. My nickname is "possum", I love to sleep.
bercha
My record is 25 hours. I was watching movies with my dad and sister. We were watching horror movies and when I wanted to sleep, my sister won't come with me. I was too scared to go back upstaires to my bedroom so I forced myself to finish watching all movies that they've rented.
Soulfire
I've been up for 24 straight hours - nothing big, but quite awhile.
ivanegues
Something more than 36 hours.
Dont drive, dont use machinery, dont get into fights.

Want to feel new sensations and see the world in new ways. This is an not addictive way.
photon
maybe around 35 hours. it was in my 8th grade and we were on a school tour. we travelled in a bus 18 hours straight, plus about 10 hours journey on a train. after that tiring journey i wansnt able to sleep. went to bed after a bigggg meal Smile
eku53ru
The longest I went without sleep was roughly 50 hours. I have a bad habit of procrastinating, and in my junior year of high school I pushed it farther than I ever had before. I had two summer reading assignments due (a chart of notes for two books - one chart for each), and I waited until the day before school to start.

After I pulled that off, though (my friends must've thought I was a zombie or something at school), I slept for about 12 hours. Weird thing was, I didn't feel tired or anything. I haven't done anything like that again, but I've come pretty close (most recently...I had 32 hours or so).
rafifaisal
I don't know exactly how long without sleep I have done in one go.
But doing my ParaCommando training we did three weeks on three hours sleep average per day.
Keep in mind that outside these three hours we did heavy duties, physical endurance and mental heavy duties so you can't compare this to a daily situation.
And the reason why the army did it this way was because we started to act differently without sufficient sleep and rest.
We where already stressed when facing a dilemma,... So we really needed to keep our calm in life threatening situations
meet in rio
41 or something.

It wasn't intentional, but some friends and I went out to a club, then to a weird 24-hour diner, then searched for a mysterious flat (always "just round the corner") where we could sleep, and all of a sudden it was breakfast time and I had to get going and catch a train back to this bouncy-castle/candy-floss affair that I'd signed up for. After all that, I didn't feel so tired, so I just went to bed at my normal time.

The first time I actually stayed up all night was to finish my Maths coursework aged 15. I actually had more sleep for this one, but felt much worse (I guess I was younger).

I really couldn't do more than one sleepless night in a row. It must be awful.
bdoneck
Longest I've ever went without sleep was probably like 20 hours Very Happy It's bad, I know, but I can't function well without at least 9 hours of sleep every night.
amusic
I think my record is only about 24 hours. Can't stand without sleep even only for one day. Confused
Scotty Too Hotty
the longest ihave gone is about 48-52 hours just over 2 days. I remeber exactly what it was as well.

6am-up for work
9am - work
5pn - home
9pm - 21st Birthday Party
2am - after party
6am - home travel
6:30 - shower
7am - moving day
5pm - stuff finished bening moved
7pm - surprise birthday party for my boss
6am - travel home
7am - shower
7:30 bed

i guess that is just over 48 houirs
cfackler
I think the longest I've gone is right around a day to 30 hours. I've been to several all-night events like a 4 Diamonds Mini-thon and Mall shows for Boy Scouts. However, as soon as I get home, I usually fall right asleep. I'm usually grouchy the next day, so I can't imagine staying up any longer.
limrio
8 Days 7 nights, when I and my friends go to camp, I take responsibility about defence XD sure tiring, and I sleep almost full 3 days [wake just for eat, drinks, and pee] after that Sad

One tips when you try not to sleep for a long time : don't overdo anything, when you feel tire, stop at that moments Very Happy
seanooi
My highest record would have to be 52 hours without sleep. Not even a short eye rest. After that sleeping felt like the best thing ever in the world Laughing
jipmerite
What about insomniacs? I believe they go without sleep for days on end and at a regular basis. Do they also have hellucinations? Or do they just need sleep less than us?
kazoe
I can go without sleep for 2 and a half days, even three. I only manage to do it because of the amount of work and the tight deadlines. That was the time whne I've got loads of projects and I have to travel to 3 different offices and stay there till I finish. I get completely wasted and yeah, on the fourth day (if you will survive) you'll get hallucinations. I can consider the fourth day since there is a time when I only slept barely (like 2-4 hours) It really sucks because I stare at the computer a lot and I draw by hand and by mouse I have to rest them because they started trembling after some time.
CreepingD
once 60 hours at a lanparty, I tried it again afterwards but I can't do it anymore, must have been in hell of a shape those days Smile
Josso
Quote:
once 60 hours at a lanparty

Gotta love those LAN party's Laughing.

Me and friends used to stay up to insane hours two-waying FarCry on uber settings back in 04, ah good times.
mceejaydee
24 hours. I'm a sleeper. I get tired way too easily, sleep earliest I can and I wake up and go to school to start sleeping in class
cybernie
I was able to make it 5 days without sleep. I was on a 24-hour duty on the internet cafe when some called me that there will a seminar the next day. Never slept that night. I went to the seminar sleepy. After the seminar I was asked by my friends to go for night swimming then we'll to his brother's town for a 2-day fiesta. That was 2-day affair drinking beer. then, i went back to work with headache, and really sleepy...

That was terrible... i will never do it again...
bulek
My personal record is 31 hours - I was at lan party. Wink
Praes
jipmerite wrote:
What about insomniacs? I believe they go without sleep for days on end and at a regular basis. Do they also have hellucinations? Or do they just need sleep less than us?

for about a year i was an isomniac.

I would sleep every third day. I was working as a server at Olive Garden and my days and night would merge consistently.

After a couple of months i went to a doctor and he said nothing was wrong with me. Yeah, Okay?

I do not know what caused it or what stopped it. I just know that every now and then i'm up for 48+ hours. It always seems to happen when i am stressed out over something.
indianinworld
May be 30 hours.......

Once my Cousins father expired. So there was no one with my Cousion to do the formalities. So I carried out all the tasks and formalities till the next day....

But when you tend to work for a long time, you will become weak and you tend to loose your staminaaaaa

Sad

As a matter of fact, once in a while - It is ok. But If, the habit of sleeplessness continues, then it becomes a serious problem for the Future.....
FoNGuildWars
Hmm, think the longest i have been awake for is about 48 hours. I can remember it because i had to work and then be at a friends party. And this was done while everyone else fell asleep around me Shocked
But i tell you what, it gets boring after a while. Prob y most ppl go to sleep, because they cba Razz

Cya later ppl
CMA
Around 45 hours. After the first all-nighter I wasn't really sleepy so I thought I'd do something else until I finally needed to crash.

Hmmm.... I believe I was watching Lord of the Rings somewhere between the first 24 hours... I can't remember much afterwards, it was a while back and I drank a bit that first night... Oh well...
38club
jipmerite wrote:

I read somewhere that if a guy went without sleep, by about 72 hours he would start seeing helluscinations. A friend of mine and I thought it would be fun and made plain to do it...but by around 30 to 35 hrs hours we start nodding off while sitting and even while standing... Laughing

i have try no sleep around two day..(48 hour)
izimngcubes15
Mine? 19 hours, yep, I'm a sleeper, I don't stay awake all days and all night so yeah, I love to sleep! ^.^
Zug Zug
precicely 79.2 hours. I was seeing how many novels I could read while awake.... I fell asleep in middle of reading one ^_^ Then I went on to sleep for 16/17 hours. Was pretty fun.
geyikkutuphanesi
I just have 48 hours without sleep. I didnt't sleep for 2 days and then I slept 1 day Very Happy
eqfan
my record is about 32 hours.i was playing game with my friends.
eldarian
I lived with Dungeons&Dragons something like 44 hrs...
That was cool game...
myspace
I see who is a " ". Can you guys tell me what these points could be used for?[/quote]
bugra9
My record is about 36hrs. I was playing computer game for 1,5 day. Very Happy
Roald
My record is around 28 hours, me and my friends were returning from Switzerland and we decided to stay awake the whole journey. I think we drank 10 bottles of coca Very Happy
Dj_honorio
3 days.. more or less 72 hours... that was about 2 years ago and i think i am still tired from it.. lol.. but i had to do it either the way.. work..
jongoldsz
My record is 36 hours
CreepingD
At this very moment I've been up for 39 hours
(saterday 10 AM 'till monday 1 AM)
But calculating that and typing this text takes ages, off to bed now I guess
henrygl
My friends and I watched season two of the tv show 24 for 24 hrs straight...by the 20th hour of jack bauer saving the world most of us were almost sleeping...but we made it through lol...i'll never forget that....fox should hv paid us...damn you keifer sutherland!!!
Captain Stupid
I have ben without sleep for 2 and a half days
maopis
Last summer I was going to Europe with one of my teachers and some other friends. My teacher suggested that we stay up the whole night before so we could sleep on the plane. My friend Lorna and I stayed up 3, maybe 3 and a half days straight before we finally decided to go to sleep because we were put in separate rooms.
windrei
my record is 48 hours. i worked in university overnight to do my movie project, the editing, and the animation and special effects, something like that. it's too hard, as i need to face the monitor for long hours... you know, the CRT monitor makes your eyes much more tired... and finally i can't stand the fatigue, so i went home. When i travelled on the subway, i just slept by standing besides the door.... haha~~
leat397
I am too weak compared with all of you...
I can just sustain for 1 night only....I would rather sleep afterwards instead of ANYTHING
Qube
Sleep deprivation, something I know very well.
I'm not sure if what I used to be was called an insomniac, but I knew I wasn't normal.
During the summer about 3yrs ago I would get about 8-10hrs of sleep every week.
It's not like I didn't want to sleep, I was tired as hell.
I felt like I'd pass out one moment, then I'd lay down, but then be wide-awake a few seconds later.
It lasted about a year, I couldn't really do crap the whole time.
I did alotta online stuff during the early hours, from like midnight to 6am.
After that I'd get ready for school (horrible grades I might add), get home, watch a little tv, play my PS2 (hurrah for the HDD), and go out with some friends every other day or so.
I think near the end of it I would literally knock out.
Like I'd be sitting watching T.V. and just blackout, come back a few seconds later and not know what happened.
Hell, it even happened one time while I was going to the restroom.
Luckily for me I had just finished, so I didn't get anything on me, but I did take the shower curtains down with me and scratched the side of my face on something.

Nowadays I enjoi a nice peaceful life, I sleep at LEAST 4hrs a day, most often 7.
I actually have energy to do the things I like and don't wanna just lay around all damn day.
Hurrah for whatever ended that spell.
konflikt
Whoa. I should've found this subject sooner.

Seems to me as if you all are a bunch of "normal" people, "normal" in the sense that you don't use drugs. If used ever used methamphetamine(aka crank or crystal) or "ecstacy"(which contains methamphetamine), you would consider these accounts of sleeplessness child's play. I myself have used it(very stupid, I know) and at one point was awake for an entire week, give or take a few hours(after being awake that long it was hard for me to remember ;-D). Visual hallucenations, check. Audible hallucenations, wow. Feeling paranoid? Oh yeah. I've seen tweekers looking out of their blinds all hours of the night, some fools sitting there with their guns waiting for someone to come by. Or "Ninjas in the trees". That's my favorite(not literally). It is the most common, and yeah, usually happens after the third day. The slightest movement of your eye will trigger it. My guess is that it works much the same way as a "motion blur" effect, but only for shadows. And then there is that feeling that someone is out to get you.

A few of the posts I read here made me stop. One was where someone stood awake for a while in a controlled environment. Another stated that the poster would like to attempt an expirement like that. As someone who has been up for days, let me tell you, it is not pretty. Oh, you want to subject your body to extreme discomfort? Wreak havoc on your mind? Make you feel helpless? Go for it. For everyone else, good night.
rightclickscott
I just read through everyone's posts and I still topped all of you. But, in all seriousness, do not try it in an uncontrolled enviornment. Like konflikt was talking about, I used to be a huge stoner, which is why I was so used to hallucinations. During the last few days, I wasn't even sure if I was on drugs, but I was sitting there, on the couch, seeing so much stuff, while I constantly had friends with me, keeping my eyes open. My very close friends who sat by me through all three of my seperate weeks keep blackmailing me with strange quotes from me like "black chinaman sayz boobs is good!" I want to do it one more time, but here are the new conditions:

1. I have just recently quit taking drugs for my girlfriends sake, so it will be a whole new playing field.

2. I will not do it unless it's recorded and turned into a documentary.

3. I feel as if I'm ready to do it pro bono, but still, there are some new conditions I have to compensate for.

4. I have alot of stuff I have to do lately, based around my comic, and I have some morning classes, which I should probably be at right now.

People, if you ever want to try this, I still give you a huge CAUTION, because if you are too weak, it could kill you. I'd like to think that I pulled through all three of them well, but I didn't, and I still have the scars from them, and I've been incredibly tired lately. I'm not at peek physical condition lately, but, most likely, I'll carry it out next year or later this year at the latest. It'll ****** you easily, so you have to be very careful.
QrafTee
Umm... my record is around 30+ hours of sleep because I woke up early one day and my friend asked me to go over to his house for a LAN party and I went... then we played games (Diablo II, StarCraft, Ragnarok Online) until morning... then I got home and couldn't sleep until I watched TV and my brain said, "Hey... game over." I woke up later with the TV still on.
jipmerite wrote:

katieeeee
i think 24 hours. ha ha. Mr. Green
katieeeee
rightclickscott wrote:
I just read through everyone's posts and I still topped all of you. But, in all seriousness, do not try it in an uncontrolled enviornment. Like konflikt was talking about, I used to be a huge stoner, which is why I was so used to hallucinations. During the last few days, I wasn't even sure if I was on drugs, but I was sitting there, on the couch, seeing so much stuff, while I constantly had friends with me, keeping my eyes open. My very close friends who sat by me through all three of my seperate weeks keep blackmailing me with strange quotes from me like "black chinaman sayz boobs is good!" I want to do it one more time, but here are the new conditions:

1. I have just recently quit taking drugs for my girlfriends sake, so it will be a whole new playing field.

3. I feel as if I'm ready to do it pro bono, but still, there are some new conditions I have to compensate for.

4. I have alot of stuff I have to do lately, based around my comic, and I have some morning classes, which I should probably be at right now.

People, if you ever want to try this, I still give you a huge CAUTION, because if you are too weak, it could kill you. I'd like to think that I pulled through all three of them well, but I didn't, and I still have the scars from them, and I've been incredibly tired lately. I'm not at peek physical condition lately, but, most likely, I'll carry it out next year or later this year at the latest. It'll **** you easily, so you have to be very careful.

wow! i hope you get better!
pjv
nothing for me to brag about, i did only over 24 hours compared to your 2, 3, 4 or more days! I couldn't imagine myself not sleeping for that long. I experienced working 4-5 days straight but i slept 2-3 hours in between and it feels real bad. I feel like I'm a zombie. Cool
Dustylunchbox
i constantly hear about gamers who die at their computers so i guess ya gota be some what careful i've like not slept for like 40 somethign hours but i just love sleep its fun. but i do have somethign to ask adults out there do you get less tired as you grow up because if i need to sleep in this late it will kinda suck?
nox-Hand
Erm, let me think, about 30 hours probablty..

Not much, eh?
WizardOne
The longest I eve stayed awake was about 29 hours. I was planning on going to sleep, but then I saw the sun come up while playing planescape:torment and after that I thought, whatever and decided to stay up the rest of the 'Night' and go to bet the next day.
kwolee89
I don't know. This is a good topic.

I have gone 1 1/2 days I think.
Hammy
Oooo.. I went 2 days once.. cuz i had to do some 12 hour endurance race over night lol.. i didnt sleep before or after. lol
Bourgondier
48 hours...at age of 12
rhathar
I've managed 48-50 hours several times, but it was always while travelling. My flight would usually leave early in the morning, so I wouldn't go to sleep, and then the plane would land in the arriving city at dawn (damn timezones), so after that I had another full day ahead of me :/

That's happened at least twice that I know of. I also used to stay up for 24 hours quite often. But I have to say, the older I get the more I really want to work to put myself on a decent sleeping pattern. I usually feel a lot better because it.
Davidgr1200
I've never managed more than about 20 hours without any sleep. I have, however, had a few days of just sleeping a couple of hours per night - I don't recommend it. I tend to get ill if I miss too much sleep. There are, though, lucky people who can get by on just a couple of hours sleep per night, they can thus spend more time playing games or surfing...
rightclickscott
katieeeee wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

People, if you ever want to try this, I still give you a huge CAUTION, because if you are too weak, it could kill you. I'd like to think that I pulled through all three of them well, but I didn't, and I still have the scars from them, and I've been incredibly tired lately. I'm not at peek physical condition lately, but, most likely, I'll carry it out next year or later this year at the latest. It'll **** you easily, so you have to be very careful.

wow! i hope you get better!

Thanks for the concern.
izcool
Dustylunchbox wrote:
i constantly hear about gamers who die at their computers so i guess ya gota be some what careful i've like not slept for like 40 somethign hours but i just love sleep its fun. but i do have somethign to ask adults out there do you get less tired as you grow up because if i need to sleep in this late it will kinda suck?

I good movie to recommend on this same sort of topic is called "Simone" (or "S1m0ne"). Very good movie. When you watch it, you find out what happened to the guy that made Simone and gave it to his good movie making friend, who used Simone in all of his new movies. (Sorry if this is a bit off-topic). The guy who made Simone (in the movie of course) died from staying up too long in front of his computer making her and got some eye infection from having his head too close to his CRT monitor. That's all I'm trying to point out. Smile

- Mike.
mwilson82
I've gone 40 hours, way back in the Everquest raiding days... good and bad memories there Razz
Gundamxxg
The longest I have ever gone without sleep was 8 1/2 days. I call it no sleep since I never got more than 10 minutes of shutting my eyes, thus I didn't enter a state of REM to let my brain regain some momentum.

After the 3rd day of no sleep I started to hallucinate and hear things, then about 12 hours later it stopped, by the week mark I started to feel really weak and could barely function. On the 8th day I decided that it was time to sleep; I passed out for about 22hours and even that was not enough sleep.

And for the record I have never taken any drugs ever. =D all good ole caffiene and vitamin B.
statusfashions
well it was for 3 days straight.
and yes right now it has been 36 hrs without sleep right now.
busy with projects .
filet
two days..at that time have to finish my assignment ..got it on friday must submit it on monday...and me sleepy like Shocked
sonam
One time in arrmy I did not sleep more than 60 hours.

Sonam
tench
around 24 hours. watched movies all night but they make you bored after a while so just played some games and stayed up all night.
rightclickscott
Gundamxxg wrote:
The longest I have ever gone without sleep was 8 1/2 days. I call it no sleep since I never got more than 10 minutes of shutting my eyes, thus I didn't enter a state of REM to let my brain regain some momentum.

After the 3rd day of no sleep I started to hallucinate and hear things, then about 12 hours later it stopped, by the week mark I started to feel really weak and could barely function. On the 8th day I decided that it was time to sleep; I passed out for about 22hours and even that was not enough sleep.

And for the record I have never taken any drugs ever. =D all good ole caffiene and vitamin B.

I tip my hat to you, sir. The only bragging rights over you is that I've gone through that same scenario 3 times and not just once. I also counted caffiene as a drug through my experience. Not a hallucinagenic drug, of course, but it certainly kept me up.
freakinlame
My gosh, you guys can stay up till so long..for me I'll be dead if I do the same..But the longest I've ever stay awake is 30 hours..was doing my mathematics assignments which was supposed to be done in two weeks time but completed in a night, before the day to pass up..hehe..kinda very last minute actually..
Da Rossa
Mine is 70 hours. With a Maths class on the 50th hour. Laughing
jcvincent
My record is 38 hours. It was our prom night. hehehe. Just trying to go anywhere all by my self. I was a loner back in high school. Well not really a loner, I have a group of friends though. But yeah. I love to go out at night all by my self.
jipmerite
Gundamxxg wrote:

I don't think that really qualifies as 8+ days without sleep if there are breaks in bertwee. I think after a while thebrain will get a lot of sleep in those 10 mins; much more than a regular 10 min nap. Sleep is made of several cycles one of which is called the REM Cycle and when the brain is deprived of sleep it goes directly to the REM Stage while usually it takes about half hour to get to that stage.

Of the people who have gone without sleep for long periods due to overnight flights and the time difference, I have not had a flight longer than 3 hours but in that time I found it quite difficult to sleep anyway cos the Air Hostesses kep disturbing me. They always come with a smile asking if I needed anything but their constant 'concern' just kep me from taking a nap Mad
Bosleee
longest ive gone without sleep in 3 days

im a security guard and i do 15 hour nights and heres the story

i woke up at 1pm and was going to work at 4pm .. did my shift got home at 8.30 but went straight to town did some shopping came home went to the gym then went to work at 4pm again. got home at 8.30, went to the gym again was too wide awake from the red bull and it was my day off. got to sleep (well fell asleep) about 11pm that night so thats roughly 58 hours if ive worked that out right lol (feeling tired thinkin bout it lol)

i didnt have any hallucinations but was feeling a little run down
Boles Roor
Kinda shocked at the hours here. I see alot of people with more then 60 hours. I really was thinking "Damn, bullcrap". But when I think of it, I've stayed up for almost four and a quarter days. Which in total is a bit over 100 hours I believe.

Shocking.. Very shocking. Shocked
SFMeatwad
My record is about 42 hours. It was a bet to go 43 hours, but I failed.

The bet was about 500 US Dollars, but I only got 400 because of a one hour difference.

Why couldn't they make it 42 hours? I was on the computer the entire time and I forgot about bathroom rituals and nearly pissed my pants after getting the crap scared out of me in a game of CounterStrike.
kd5nrh
About three and a half days here. There were three of us in my department that had coverage of about 16 hrs a day M-F and 8 Sunday. The boss was out of state on her honeymoon, and the other guy was in bed with the flu. I knew I couldn't work 16 then sleep 8 without oversleeping, so I just staqyed up until the sick guy dragged himself in (still looking worse than me at that point) and told me to turn off my alarm clock and come back when I woke up naturally.

Apparently, he also talked to the boss at some point, and when she found out what I'd been doing, she ordered us to shut the department down for the night if one of us would have to be there over 12hrs.
Em_de_Tech
I need sleep! I think i've only stayed up for about 36 hours straight. Sad
shaheen
I,ve searched about this subject..and the world record is 43 Days!!

my record is 50 hours...
so..who can just be wakeup for 43 Days?
it,s the real Chalange
shaheen
SFMeatwad wrote:
My record is about 42 hours. It was a bet to go 43 hours, but I failed.

The bet was about 500 US Dollars, but I only got 400 because of a one hour difference.

Why couldn't they make it 42 hours? I was on the computer the entire time and I forgot about bathroom rituals and nearly pissed my pants after getting the crap scared out of me in a game of CounterStrike.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
If I have ADSL..maybe I,ll never sleep...
I 24/24 on CounterStrike!!
mying
i hav gone for 48 hours without sleep. that time is a day of some festival. go some place for have fun with friends. dont know y the time pass so fast. haha.
magneto_ms
I think i had done for just around 24 hours. Actually i hav had a total sleep of 9 hours for 3 days during my exam days. But i now rarely do this.! Hell, those were the days..
kung_fu_stu
about 45 hours is probably my record. The longest I've ever consecutively worked was about 23 hours
tylergram
Deleted
PatTheGreat42
I get a little loopy after about 36 hours.
cybernie
ouch! seems like i have the longest record here.
dan751
My record, is 40 hours, I've not been able to stay up any longer than that. I'll say one thing, it's fun staying up late with some buddies on a Friday night, everything is a whole lot funnier. I know a friend of mine, who managed to stay up a total of 48 hours. I may try matching his record one day, to increase my record.

Appearantly, if you stay up for 10 days straight, you could die from physical exhaustion.

Wikipedia wrote:
There are no documented cases of a healthy human dying from total sleep deprivation (excluding accidents), aside from those suffering from Fatal Familial Insomnia. In carefully monitored experiments, several normal research subjects stayed awake for 10 days. While they all experienced cognitive deficits in memory, concentration, etc, none of them experienced serious medical, neurological, physiological or psychiatric problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

Just becuase there's no documented cases of death in that mannor, doesn't mean that it can't happen.
Fortunately for me, I could never stay up for any more than 2 days straight. Smile
mschnell
I think that my longest is probably around 40-50 hours when traveling from the US to China. My flight lasted 30 hours because of some problems and if you add the 5 or so hours I was up before the flight and the day I was up after getting off the flight, I don't know exactly what that is but a decent amount.
nilsmo
The only time I really pull off all-nighters is when I travel to another country on a red-eye flight. Then I usually don't sleep for around 40 hours.
ateawonton
but I was on meds, everything seemed normal but I don't see why I would do it again, I love to sleep
Cosmoslayer
3 days maximum, after that a day and a half of sleep! LOL Embarassed
Deline
I guess 48 hours without even a nap...
Radar
Not that long. I'm unsure as to whether that's a good thing, or whether I need to try and build a tolerance.
Blaster
I've done 30 hours straight nothing longer than that though.
deanhills
A blast from the past! Nice to see you posting Blaster. Cool
Nyasro
Mine is 36 hours.
linux1993
Even when I watched "Prison Break", I just carried on till 5 o'clock. Usually I get up at 7. So the longest record is 22 hours.