FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favourite era of music?

Monkeydog
Topic.

The 60's baby!
Only decade when the Beatles were around, so the best. =P'
But yeah...60's has most of my favourite music...although the 50's were great too, and so were the 70's...but overall, 60s!
bimbel
right Smile
Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors ... Smile all better than todays "hit's" and annoying casting candidates.
SainT
80's. Metal era Smile
djsamsung
90's grunge/rock..

does it count?
Scott
I'm not a fan of a lot of the mainstream stuff now, but I love a lot of the stuff which is more in the background. 2k all the way.
johnnycake
djsamsung wrote:
90's grunge/rock..

does it count?

I'm into that too but I've lately been liking the alternative rock, late 90's to now
djsamsung
johnnycake wrote:
I'm into that too but I've lately been liking the alternative rock, late 90's to now

quite the same here, not living in the past no more. hahah
achene
Diffinetely the 80's. Even though alot of good music is both older and newer.
fkmax
I think for me the music of the 90s were the best as i was a teenager then, and lot of new bands and artistes were coming then, but i also like the rock bands of the 70s and 80s. To watch them perform was better then watching their videos, it would blow your head man, as they could play the music so well, live.
cyph33r
I think it was the late seventies and early eighties when all the metal bands started releasing albums. Bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot etc really changed the music scene !
Tatsumaru
I'm fine with the metal scene nowadays, with bands like Ensiferum and Wintersun.

But yeah, I might say the 90's... Andi Deris joins Helloween and makes it a lot better for one. Then there is Gamma Ray that started, and Children of Bodom... etc etc Laughing
owen mono
ggr! this is the thing that most annoys me about music.

THERE WAS NO GOLDEN AGE OF MUSIC. THERE WERE NO "GOOD OLD DAYS".

Music today is as good, if not better than it used to be. People don't remember the ammount of commercial rubbish churned out by the big record labels, they only remember the stuff worth remembering. It's the same today, no-one will remember the cheeky girls, or westlife in 15 years time, but they will remember the white stripes, the strokes, franz ferdinand and the like because the people who buy those albums actually care about music.

People that buy singles, and rubbishy dance compilations by some unknown wanting some money don't really like music. In 20 years time, in their 30s-40s, they will probably stop listening to music, prettymuch full stop. Or if they do, they'll only listen to the stuff they're already familiar with.

Which brings me to my final point - familiarity. With old stuff, you've had as long as is possible to become familiar with it. No new band is able to compete with that. You have to give it a chance, there is plenty of music out there worh listening to, you just have to be willing to take a chance on not liking it. It's only 3 minutes of your life, you'd probably waste that time anyway.

To sum up, music is still good. The problem is that you're not prepared to let yourself like it. Listen to the late night BBC radio 1 shows, they're usually the best places to start for good new music.
the_mariska
Romantism Smile Schuman, Schubert, Beethoven, Chopin and the rest. They did real wonders, they could write a song for a girl accompanied by piano only, and create such a mysterious and gloomy atmosphere that they were more gothic than the goths. The music from that period has a feeling, that's very difficult to turm into sound. [an example of a today's band that managed to do the same is Lacrimosa].

And if talking about modern music... I would go for the '80. Metal, the birth of gothic and hardcore, the death [Wink] of punk, the evolution of electronical music [into crappy disco/techno and all the wonderful rest]. This were the years of creating new and new kinds of rock, the years of music evolution Very Happy
Josso
Early 90s probably, I love the crazy old skool rave from that era.