FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best console of this generation?

Monkeydog
With, you know, this generation months from ending, and an era of new consoles to take it's place, which one did you like the most?

My favourite was the PS2...not that the PS2 was that great, but I could play my PSX games on it, so meh.
Also, another reason I liked the PS2 so much, even though Nintendo is the main company I think of when I think of innovative, the PS2 had much more inovative games then the GCN did. Ico, Katamari, Guitar Hero...all pretty much games that haven't been done before, or at least, as good as they were represented on the PS2.
Plus, GTA! Freeform games are the best.

The GCN comes in at second. Really a disapointment, I don't know which is worse...the GCN or N64...but being a disapointment from Nintendo can still mean you're a stylish game system, right?
Anywho, I just didn't like many games on the GCN...Skies of Acadia, Paper Mario, Pikmin, Smash Bros, Tales of Symphonia, and Animal Crossing? That's pretty much it...oh well, the Wii will be so much better.

Xbox...ehh...I don't have a good computer, so I was able to play things like KOTOR and Fable(big let down) on this. Not that great, ecspecially when it comes to Xbox only games...but pretty decent for a first console, nothing like Sony's or Nintendo's first...but good.
It had WAY too many FPS's and Sports titles though, which are by far some of the most repetivte genres EVER. If every FPS was a Half-Life or Deus Ex, I wouldn't be so angry...but...it wasn't, it was the same shite over and over again...and Halo is way too overrated...I mean, it's a good multiplayer game...but it's been done before, AND MUCH BETTER.

Oh well...

The GCN will soon die when the Wii comes out, but not before bringing out Super Paper Mario(<3)...although, I do beileve the PS2 won't go down without a fight...as shown by titles like Guitar Hero II and FFXII not coming out until the end of the year.
Loghete
The fact is, that I have just got one single console at the moment: My PSOne.
The best games I've got for it is FFIIV and FFIIIV.

But, I'm gonna buy a Wii! I can't wait 'til Christmas! Very Happy
nike7
I have only owned one console and that was a Playstation2. I really liked it and played Grand Theft Auto 3 like my eyes was bleeding Wink

Maybe i am going to buy a Xbox 360 because that looks really nice!
jarcelao
I'd go for the PS2 eventhough I haven't owned anything else than the PS2! Very Happy
rightclickscott
Out of all three, I'd, unfortunately, have to agree with Monkeydog. The PS2 had all the best games, and even though I don't agree with Monkeydog about everything, that almost everything out there just sucks, and that you should just look down on everything. Here's what I have to say...

The Gamecube didn't get what it deserved. It could have been great! Resident Evil 4 should have been the game to ressurect it, but, what happened? An even better version was released for the PS2. Not only that, but nobody knew a damn thing about Eternal Darkness. Sure, there were plenty of great games, but the PS2 just had a better variety. I loved the Gamecube, but it didn't get what it deserved.

The Xbox, now there is something which isn't trying to appeal to normal gamers, which is a double edged sword. On one hand, you have even more people trying to be gamers, but on the other hand, that is still a terrible thing. You get the same idiots and little kids running around saying things like "YOU GOT PWNED!" Those people think they are gamers because they play Halo on Xbox live, but they are just retarded nubs. I do enjoy rubbing my nuts all over their faces online, but it just gets old after awhile. The Xbox has made me hate so many people, but the thing about it is how it changed the one thing that kept me going, the G4 network. It's not even a network about gaming anymore! THAT'S WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE! I WANT STRANGLE KEVIN F*CKING PIERERA!

As for the PS2, it was just plain fun. Everyone liked to talk down on God of War, but when you sit down and play it, it was just so fun to play. The Katamari games, fun for everyone, especially stoners. The Metal Gears, I heart Subsistance beyond life itself. But what was the one thing that kept me going on the PS2? Resident Evil. While I still hate how the Gamecube was screwed over, RE4 is just plain fun. Period...

</rant>
m_furquan36
I really liked the gamecube even though it was hardly the leader of the pack.Nintendo always had an aspect of great fun in all of its games which i really like you can take it from the mario series all the way upto its own resident evil remake and resident evil 0.It offered games to a very large variety of players which i dont find much in the xbox at most the ps2 did ok i guess in trying to keep the balance for its gamers but the gamecube took the cake no doubt Smile ...anyways thats my opinion but i have shared it with a few ppl and they agree so i guess there might be some truth in it Razz
Bourgondier
This gen? I have a cube, but it sucks. So I think the playstation 2!
djsamsung
either the PSONE or PS2. Most of the best games are in those consoles, and the PS2 controller is the best ever made. That's why PS3 changed back to the basic controller.
Monkeydog
Quote:
The Gamecube didn't get what it deserved. It could have been great! Resident Evil 4 should have been the game to ressurect it, but, what happened? An even better version was released for the PS2. Not only that, but nobody knew a damn thing about Eternal Darkness. Sure, there were plenty of great games, but the PS2 just had a better variety. I loved the Gamecube, but it didn't get what it deserved.

Yeah, the GCN got screwed over way to many times...
"Viewtiful Joe is going to be exclusive to the GCN..."
*next week*
"Vietiful Joe will be going to PS2 with one million extras"

Same goes with ToS and Sonic Collection. =/

It could have been great...if it had third party support like back in the SNES days, and a good Starfox game. =D
rightclickscott
Yeah, Starfox Adventures sucked ass.
Juparis
My vote goes to Gamecube, but I realize that PS2 had much more of an impact.

Starfox did suck--Starfox on the N64 was much better, imo, but I still fell in love with SSB Melee on the cube. Everyone complained about the controller, but I was able to play with it fine--I love the fact that you could finally charge your attacks. Laughing

Oh yea, back to consoles. Xbox is my favorite console, but not the best. As others have said, it kind of made people hate eachother, or think that they were 1337 just because they were playing the big kid's game on an online network. I still love the online play, but a game should be good based on its gameplay, and one FPS turns out to be just like another, so I can't say Xbox.

I also couldn't say PS2, but that's just me. I'm sure a few people have seen me rant senseless attacks against Sony elsewhere, so I won't bother here. I know too many people love it for me to have any effect.
Revvion
I would like to say nintendo gamecube here (i am a nintendo fan) but no, i think the ps2 is the best of the current generation closly followed by the xbox.
ForceRun
The last consle I really loved was the N64 - Mario Cart, 007, Perfect Dark, Smash Bros, and Diddy Kong Racing. After those I swaped over to the PC, concels just suck in comparison. I'm a mouse and keyboard fan, and I will take my LCD over any TV screen.
Monkeydog
rightclickscott wrote:
Yeah, Starfox Adventures sucked ***.

Don't forget Starfox Assualt.

I'm seriously not even looking forward to Starfox DS anymore...
Now for the Wii, that will be fun, I hope.
Dark_Jedi06
Wow...I just looked up Super Paper Mario (had never heard of it Rolling Eyes) and it looks amazing. Shocked

Anyway, considering I never had a PS2 of my own and had to borrow my brothers, I never really played that many games for it, though Dark Cloud 2 was one of the most fantastic games I've ever played...

That leaves me with either the Xbox or Gamecube...and the Gamecube definitely wins. I can't even count the amount hours playing games like PM: TTYD, Double Dash, SSBM, Wind Waker, Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine, ect, ect. Though I will give the Xbox the fact that it has KOTOR...beat the game with 9 different characters and never got tired of the amazing storyline. Rolling Eyes
Game Fortress
I have always been a nintendo fan, but I have to admit: Nintendo kinda flopped on the Game Cube. I think that the PS2 was probably the best buy of that round. Xbox did very well, but it was mostly popularized by the Halo franchise.

As for the next round, I have my bets placed on the Wii. Nintendo didnt introduce any new elements with the GC, but its a whole new game. Based on the sucess of the DS system, I would say that their inventiveness will pay off. But like I said, I have always liked Nintendo best.
rightclickscott
Monkeydog wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
Yeah, Starfox Adventures sucked ***.

Don't forget Starfox Assualt.

I'm seriously not even looking forward to Starfox DS anymore...
Now for the Wii, that will be fun, I hope.

You're right, I did. Except, it was ok at times, eh, who am I kidding, it sucked.
anotheraddict
Wii ftw
BBurton22
Wii kinda blows..the graphics are really bad, but the new controller looks pretty cool.
linkman2004
I'd have to definitely say GameCube. First of all, well, it's the only console I've owned since the SNES, but who could argue with such classics as the Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and soon-to-be Twilight Princess.

But if I did own a second console, it would definitely be the XBOX. Halo pwns all... at least on the computer.

As for next generation, I'm currently holding out for the Wii. It's gonna pwn! Very Happy
rightclickscott
BBurton22 wrote:
Wii kinda blows..the graphics are really bad, but the new controller looks pretty cool.

What the f*ck are you talking about, nub? The Wii is going to use Displacement Mapping, so I've heard, and the graphics that it does have before being put through displacement are still good. Besides, there is alot more to games than just graphics, dumbass. While the 360 and PS3 are just glorified versions of their last consoles, the Wii is trying to become something new, to revolutionize gaming as we see it, and all you can think about is graphics? Goddamnit, you're stupid.
walrus
As far as single player fun goes, my favorite is PS2. But when I consider how many hours I spent playing my Game Cube with my friends, I think I might have to say that GC is my favorite overall. Though I wonder that if I hadn't been so cheap and bought one of those muliplayer adaptors for my PS2, then maybe it could've scored higher in the Fun with Friends category...
Fire Boar
walrus wrote:
Though I wonder that if I hadn't been so cheap and bought one of those muliplayer adaptors for my PS2,

A multi-tap, you mean? I've played loads of PS2 games, and they were good, but never great. I just never got that feeling of w00tage that I get from things like Paper Mario. Perhaps it's because the PS2 has been trying so badly to get realism into games that it's completely abandoning the core of games: fun. Who cares whether a game is embarrassing to play? I'll bet very few male people over the age of about 13 could have played Animal Crossing with their friends in the room without going slightly red. The point is the FUN.
m_furquan36
For me it has to be the gcn.....i just love the resident evil series and the way the gcn brought out the beauty in the re1 remake and with re0 and re4 was really great.the graphics were killer and the way it was prepared was even better....the controls of the gcn might take some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it its pretty simple.
Other games were also pretty cool...have a ps2 also but i just dont feel the same way about it Razz
Nintendo
from my name, you can probs guess what i think wins the title. totally correct in saying the GCN did not get what it deserved. it had many awesome games, just none of which were exploited. Sony, Microsoft have very big and trustable titles, and they...look shinier Razz. i think people are missing out on the cubes powers, but it all depends on their taste i suppose. Also, eternal darkness was one of the best games iv ever played, and i dont understand how people cant get it! magic, sanity, health, kill bad guys, do loads of awesome stuff Razz. no different than any other kinda fantasy games really. Also, shops like WHSmith or Woolworths only sell xbox and PS games now. Stock in variety shops is just poor for GC, and can be the reason why people dont buy them as much!! Gamecube didnt market very well, and Sony and Microsoft were more clever when coming to playing the target audience.
But anyway, i was brought up on Nintendo, so therefore i play Nintendo and enjoy their games. This doesnt mean i think PS or Xbox is a pile of crap however, like some people. im sure if i wasnt brought up on nintendo, i would like PS more, i dont know. poor GC Sad
Whong
The best console of this generation will be Wii! It has the best gameplay, great graphics, the controler is awsome and it has Wii24 connect and DS can be used in some games for example Pokemon Battle Revolution and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl! Wink Idea
Sinue
Without a doubt, this generation, it was the Dreamcast. No other console provided as much fun in such a short amount of time. It standardized online play, and was the only console to support VGA output natively ensuring pristene graphics and a 480p standard for all games (that mattered).

It's only drawback was it's lifespan...

.. and the controller. Damn, it needed a second analog stick. = /
rightclickscott
Obviously, you two don't understand the meaning of "Generation." Even though the Dreamcast and Wii were and will be awsome, they weren't part of this generation, which was the Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox.
kazikame
The dreamcast, while being a very early dropout, is still current-gen.

Personally, I preferred the games on the cube, especially Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2 and Smash Bros Melee. PS2 didn't really have anything that stood out to me.
rightclickscott
kazikame wrote:
The dreamcast, while being a very early dropout, is still current-gen.

No, it's not, because it couldn't even compete with the sales of the PS1. I love the Dreamcast, but it was not part of this generation.
Eyre
I think for popularity you've got the PS2 and Handhelds. In performance and graphics i'd put the 360 up because it looks amazing. And it's got Oblivion Very Happy
em0o
I'd have to say NES. That's when video gamign because large and had a greater appeal to a larger audience. Plus, many classics started out on that system.
Whong
Wii for sure or if you mean what have come I'd have to say Nintendo GameCube and DS! Wink Idea
Hanpusu-kun
Both the PS2 and the Cube.
Motivation?

PS2 have had lots of good games and also the best catalouge of games.
the cube has had a couple of good games. but for the most of the time it has been nintendos own

stil, both are great consoles.

Xbox came in like a surprise so, im not saying that its bad but it hadnt the real potential this time (x0 though is wounderful)
Jakob [JaWGames]
I would actually say that the GameCube was the best.

Sure, it didn`t have the "power" of the xbox or the huge amount of games as the playstation2 but it had games like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Tales of Symphonia and Super Smash Bros Melee. I do actually still play those games and a plenty other games on the GC.

When Wii comes out I do really hope that it will sell better than the gamecube did. PS3 and Xbox360 are just expensive improvements of existing consoles, Wii is something new.
And don`t forget, Zelda: The Twilightprincess will be realised on it Very Happy
TarsajumaClan
I still have to say the best is the N64. This system combined great games, Zelda, SSB, Goldeneye, with one of the greatest advancements in gaming.
Juparis
If they slapped on a big company name like Sony, I'd be willing to bet that the Dreamcast would be as popular as PlayStation has become. Dreamcast was truly amazing--it's just a shame that people couldn't detach themselves from company names long enough to experience real gameplay vs. hyped-up uber-gfx franchises. Dreamcast was the first to introduce online play--online play!! I'm too dramatic, I know, but too few people were ever able to truly appreciate what the Dreamcast had to offer. Sad
Soulfire
TarsajumaClan wrote:
I still have to say the best is the N64. This system combined great games, Zelda, SSB, Goldeneye, with one of the greatest advancements in gaming.

I was addicted to Zelda Ocarina of Time - I couldn't stop playing, I was like 12 then. That was truely my all-time favorite game. Ever.
Ka7raK
Monkeydog wrote:

Xbox...ehh...I don't have a good computer, so I was able to play things like KOTOR and Fable(big let down) on this. Not that great, ecspecially when it comes to Xbox only games...but pretty decent for a first console, nothing like Sony's or Nintendo's first...but good.

and Halo is way too overrated...I mean, it's a good multiplayer game...but it's been done before, AND MUCH BETTER.

To the first paragraph quoted i just have to say you really don't know much of video game systems market. Xbox didn't sell as much as expected and it certainly brought Microsoft down with a lot of money wasted in Japan. However, the first SONY console was brough up when only the weak N64 was in the market. Of course it was brilliant! There was no competition because people didn't want games in those ugly K7, they wanted CDs. It's a completely new concept and everybody wants to stick with it.

About the second paragraph, i just ask you: where in the hell have you seen a game like Halo before? No, seriously, tell me! How many games do you have with perfect game play, epic storyline, hard-drive catching and overloaded charisma? I mean, a game with all of these.
Whong
Xbox doesn't stand at all, I think like that. It hasn't the power of PS3 and lacks the innovation of Wii! Wink Idea
Ka7raK
Whong wrote:
Xbox doesn't stand at all, I think like that. It hasn't the power of PS3 and lacks the innovation of Wii! Wink Idea

I'm not going to reply to that directly. Check the Official PS3 Thread.
Anyway, the thing is the topic is about the past generation and you're posting off-topic. About "the power of PS3", break the numbers and see that they're are pretty much the same (360 and PS3) except for PS3's Blu-Ray.
Ka7raK
Hanpusu-kun wrote:

PS2 have had lots of good games and also the best catalouge of games.

It certainly had lots of games, mostly not-good. I'd say more than half of PS2's games are of average quality. I won't deny that PS2 featured tons of games but Xbox and GC had the best good-games/total-games ratio. There aren't much nasty games in GC and Xbox only has some black sheeps but PS2 has loads of poor games. About the console with the best games, we can't define. I love GC's child-like games but i also love most Xbox games that came out. About PS2, i only like Mark of Kri, Primal and the GTA series.
Kelcey
rightclickscott wrote:
BBurton22 wrote:

What the f*ck are you talking about, nub? The Wii is going to use Displacement Mapping, so I've heard, and the graphics that it does have before being put through displacement are still good. Besides, there is alot more to games than just graphics, dumbass. While the 360 and PS3 are just glorified versions of their last consoles, the Wii is trying to become something new, to revolutionize gaming as we see it, and all you can think about is graphics? Goddamnit, you're stupid.

Haha, whoa man... chill Razz The graphics AREN'T bad as you have said. Smash Bros looks very good in my opinion. I also appreciate Nintendo trying to do something different... hopefully breathe some fresh air into what really is becoming stale. Haha, chill though dood.
Monkeydog
Juparis wrote:
If they slapped on a big company name like Sony, I'd be willing to bet that the Dreamcast would be as popular as PlayStation has become.

I think Sega was more popular than Sony back in the day...at least for me it was. =/
benwhite
Yeah but no one wanted to buy a sega console after the saturn tanked in the US the way it did. Still, Dreamcast would have sold a lot more if had better third party support. The library never reached the critical mass like Sony's to drive people to buy it. Sonic was sweet though...

Of the most recent, I'd say basically a tie between ps2 and gc. The systems all had their great games. I would say Xbox had halo and lots of sports games. I like rpg's, so sony wins that category easily. But I also love the old nintendo franchise games, and they were great as always.
medievalman26
I like the PS2 the best simply because it had the majority of the good quality games on it and also most of the best games. (Don't attack me Halo2 fans) I don't have an Xbox but the gamecube was pretty bad so I would give it ranking just above the Sega Dreamcast (yes it does count for this current generation of platforms).
dyrtyrice
The xbox is my favorite, mostly because of all the modding capabilities.
linkman2004
I would have to say the GameCube. Sure, the PS2 is okay(read: okay because it has Guitar Hero), but I think overall that the GameCube had more quality games. And at that, it was nice that most all of it's quality games were clean.

But, let's look at some of the quality games. You've got Smash Bros., The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Rogue Sqadron II, Metroid Prime, Zelda Collectors Edition, etc... So, yeah, in my opinion the GameCube just had all of the better games. The only thing it lacked, though, was Guitar Hero. Razz
urangkayo
i think the best console at the moment is XBOX, this console have modding capabilities and have a graphic card like PC.
Antek88
xbox is my favorite and halo is the best game Smile
skuldgoddess
I vote for PS2 too cuz it have a lot of great game.