FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Feedback needed on my blog

mattchun
Hi, guys, my blog url is www.dreamcosts.com
I know it maybe difficult for you to read a Chinese site, but still need some feedback on the blog style. Thank you.

The blog is based on WORDPRESS and the the theme Night20
scryoko
Hm... I like it. The first (and best actually) thing that I like about your site is that the links are in English. I've realized that I've been to a lot of sites and non-English language sites, especially always seem to have the links in whatever language it is their site uses. Okay, yes, I know, that sounds... retarded that I would, er, make a complaint? about something like that. Yes, I understand that, yes, it's a Dutch (in example -- and this is by no means offensive to any Dutch sites... it's just the first language that popped into my head actually...) site so, duh, everything should be in Dutch. Yes, I can understand that. And that would be a good argument, however... I think that people should have English translations too. No, I don't mean that English is the best language *snort* but really because it's universal (not sure if that's a good thing or not *laugh*). Anyway... if there are translations, it would be easier on others who do not know that non-English language and is, therefore, able to navigate through the site. Sure, they might not be able to read and understand the little captions under a picture, for instance, but it helps that the person clicking on the link knows what the page is about. Though... that's not to say that all non-English language that do not have any translations sites are bad, but I guess the question would be more towards... who are the people that you are targetting with your site? If it simply only Chinese-speaking-and-reading people, in example, then perhaps, an all Chinese-language-non-English site would be appropriate. If not, then I believe that what you have done with your site is good, because others may be able to navigate through your site as well and not simply be turned off because they cannot read Chinese (for example).

Ahh... okay, sorry about that rant... I just really, really liked the notion that you have your links in English (even though I can read some of the Chinese words... though my Chinese isn't too good *laugh*).

Another thing I like is the link color and mouseover color that you have chosen. The link is clearly visible and it catches your eye -- even though the easiest to see on a black background is white. And the mouseover color helps even further.

Not to mention, the layout of the site is also simply and easy to navigate -- even though you said it's based on WORDPRESS, I think it's a good choice.

Regards,
-- scryoko
{name here}
Erm...you should probably try a translation link so English speakers could visit your blog, or maybe allow for database translation if possible. Other than that it appears to be fine.
mattchun
scryoko wrote:
Hm... I like it. The first (and best actually) thing that I like about your site is that the links are in English. I've realized that I've been to a lot of sites and non-English language sites, especially always seem to have the links in whatever language it is their site uses. Okay, yes, I know, that sounds... retarded that I would, er, make a complaint? about something like that. Yes, I understand that, yes, it's a Dutch (in example -- and this is by no means offensive to any Dutch sites... it's just the first language that popped into my head actually...) site so, duh, everything should be in Dutch. Yes, I can understand that. And that would be a good argument, however... I think that people should have English translations too. No, I don't mean that English is the best language *snort* but really because it's universal (not sure if that's a good thing or not *laugh*). Anyway... if there are translations, it would be easier on others who do not know that non-English language and is, therefore, able to navigate through the site. Sure, they might not be able to read and understand the little captions under a picture, for instance, but it helps that the person clicking on the link knows what the page is about. Though... that's not to say that all non-English language that do not have any translations sites are bad, but I guess the question would be more towards... who are the people that you are targetting with your site? If it simply only Chinese-speaking-and-reading people, in example, then perhaps, an all Chinese-language-non-English site would be appropriate. If not, then I believe that what you have done with your site is good, because others may be able to navigate through your site as well and not simply be turned off because they cannot read Chinese (for example).

Ahh... okay, sorry about that rant... I just really, really liked the notion that you have your links in English (even though I can read some of the Chinese words... though my Chinese isn't too good *laugh*).

Another thing I like is the link color and mouseover color that you have chosen. The link is clearly visible and it catches your eye -- even though the easiest to see on a black background is white. And the mouseover color helps even further.

Not to mention, the layout of the site is also simply and easy to navigate -- even though you said it's based on WORDPRESS, I think it's a good choice.

Regards,
-- scryoko

Thank you Scryoko, for you such a long comment on BLOG TRANSLATION.lol. Thank you.

Glad to see you know "a little" Chinese, but I decide now to build an English version blog as well. Although it may not be updated frequently, but it does help you guys, right?

These two days I've added many many many many interesting things on my sidebar, you may check it out if you like.

I agree with you guys on the simple layout of my blog, it's based on wordpress and it's theme plugin, easy to use.

Thanks again for your feedback.
scryoko
Ahh, I'm sorry about the long comment about the blog translation. I hope I didn't irritate you or bore you in anyway. I kinda feel like a fool now. *laugh* But yes, I think the English would be a great help. Although, after looking at your site once more, I'd have to say that I love how you made it so that the title of each blog entry is in English. It gives those (of us *laugh*) who are unable to read Chinese the opportunity to at least know what each entry is about. ...Somehow I don't think I had realized it last time (I have been known to be a bit I'm not sure if you did that last time inattentive... *sweatdrop*)... Hm, not to mention, the accompanying pictures add appeal to your website as well. Visually, pictures always seem to catch people's eyes more no matter what language the text is in -- except, of course, if (for instance) the text clearly contrasted its background; bold, striking, and mesmerizing. But to me, I think that's what you have with your pictures.

Even with the image links on your sidebar. Those that had images and simply not text were more appealing to the eye than simple text, so perhaps a suggestion is... that maybe you can place some type of image in place of the text as the links? Or, well, if you do want the texts as well, you can do what you did with "BLOGROLL." You placed an icon with text to the right of it -- though, of course, that's up to you. Just a suggestion. ^_^ Nevertheless, lovely, appealing site. Keep up the great job. *smile*

Regards,
-- scryoko