FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CAN'T START WINDOWS.

allanxiao
Hey guys, I have a serious problem on my laptop, and need your help.
Last night, when I was viewing a pdf file, the screen was suddenly frozen and some colorful dots appeared. The graphic went really weird, and not of the buttons worked. So I pressed the power button and turned it off. After about half a minute, I turned it on again, only the power light was on, even the hard drive light wasn't on, screen was totally black. The only thing I could do was turn the computer off and on ......

I have no idea what had happened. I was just reading something on it and didn't do anything about it before it suddenly crashed. Anyone have any idea of what happened? I hope it's not a hardware problem.

Please help~
SoftStag
This does sound like a hardware problem. The symptoms sound like either the CPU or GPU overheating and failing. You should get it looked at.
Ratman2050
SoftStag wrote:
This does sound like a hardware problem. The symptoms sound like either the CPU or GPU overheating and failing. You should get it looked at.

It is most likely an overheat problem. Most laptops have issues with heating and I have heard countless people with almost exact problem. As you said you were reading something in PDF Format then this is probably not a viru/malware related issue.
saskshadowplayers
Turn it off and let it cool down for a while... then try again. Im sure that like the guys above me said, the problem is in the hardware. Hopefully nothing is too terribly damaged
Bones
If you don't even get a POST test result on the screen then it is hardware. As stated above, laptops are famous for heat problems..hopefully it booted after letting it cool for a while. With a total black screen, my guess would be cpu, or bios chip gone...possibly even ram, but ram is a stretch..
Most likely a dead cpu if it still won't boot
rfarrand
defintely sounds like a hardware problem. Sounds like either the hard drive may have crashed or the board may have been corrupted. i would suggest testing a new hard drive with the computer the way it is
LethcanAernis
Do you hear any *beep*when you boot up? regarding how many *beep* you get the BIOS tells you if it is the Memory or Graphic card htat is broken etc? if you hear no BIOS sound I would guess something is burned in your computer.. the power supply is damage or alike.

Use your guarantee for sure
eldarian
It's like your HD or processor crashed. My bro has this problem.
Donutey
If the thing beeps at all when you try to turn it on, see if you can find the "beep codes" for that model of laptop, and it might be able to tell you what's exactly wrong.

Otherwise, wipe the hard drive and sell it on eBay, I'll buy it... Rolling Eyes
pgr3master
do u get any beeps when starting up if not this means its an hardware problem or may be something to do with the bious
wicke
I'm about sure, that your problem is overheating because laptops get's "quiet warm". Laptops are smaller than normal computers and it's very hard to keep them in the normal temperatures. For Example my old Comapq Armada 1592DT can warm half of small house! PDF-readers are also very "heavy" software and processor must work hard. And when computer gets too hot, anything will be damaged very easily. That's why everyone don't overclock processors because they can be damaged very easily and buy very much.
big_matt13
Ive had this problem too, and judging by your diagnosis, it is an overheating prob.

What i did was I removed the laptop batery, and left it for a couple of days, then plugged it back in, put it on charge and booted it.
zurdosoft
Prueba con un boot cd.
Uno muy completo es Hiren's boot cd.
Buscalo en la web.

Suerte
lococobra
How about some actual advice eh? Instead of just saying its heating over and over.

It is likely that this problem was caused by an element of your computer overheating, in such circumstances the computer will try to shut down as fast as possible to prevent damage. However, when this happened it is possible that your bios got fragged. The only reason I would say this is because your computer should boot to some degree before failing unless the bios is corrupted since the bios is the first thing accessed when the computer boots.

If it is just the bios that is corrupted, then the problem is very easy to fix. Simply take out the main battery, disconnect it from all external power, then open the computer and take out the backup battery. Then wait about 30 seconds and put it back in. This will force the computer to reload the bios from the firmware, which could fix it. If the problem is hardware, you will still not be able to boot, but you could possibly get a better idea of what's wrong.
Jaan
How new is your laptop, and what model/brand is it? There's been a worldwide battery overheat problem... other than that, I dunno. If it's a hardware problem, you should definately get it looked at unless you know for sure what you are doing.
orcaz
is it a dell or sony laptop? coz recently, there had been cases that the battery of dell laptops causes overheating of the laptops, and the lithium ion battery is manufactured by Sony.
munkey_boy
SoftStag wrote:

If coloured dots are coming up all over the screen maybe your video card is overheating. Are you overclocking it? If yuo are that could be the problem.
sush
Man you must have had guts if you OC'ed your mobility graphics Shocked those notebooks never seem to run cool, huh Cool
gelid
If you have overclocked i laptop then i need say no more really do i ? Rolling Eyes

However you might just wanna stable it out run a few benchmarks and you should be okay but just remember your only on passive cooling here.

if you get a blue screen note down what it is telling you ( the message error id) can be very useful when the people that know what there talking about can help you.
Donutey
This post is more than a month and a half old, I think he's figured something out.
alexchan28
i agree, it sounds like over heat, or main board problem
new user
alexchan28 wrote:
i agree, it sounds like over heat, or main board problem

Yeah. Last time this happened to me, my motherboard got overheated and broken. I had to replace with another one and everything worked fine.
mahaprakash
i encounter this prob already in my desktop Pc. during that time i removed the ram and cleaned and reinsert to the slot. then its worked. anotherreason is Ram malfunction. checkout the RAM...
Chrisjs
Ok, while this is almost two months old, there are a few things that don't make sense. How could it be the hard drive that would cause the screen to not show anything? Terminals don't have hard drives, and my hard drive power cable had oddly slowly slid out, but it still booted...until it got to the IDE detection. Regardless, it would probably be a vital part of the computer, such as the mobo, cpu, or gpu. Another thing I just thought of, which I'd sorta doubt, but what about the possibility that the screen died? Maybe try hooking it up to an external monitor...
ronald.helpdesk
I, personaly, support this one and the one with the RAM's commentary... it's most likely sometimes that computer's motherboards with integrated video cards brings some problems because of the Random Access Memory Sharing thing... if the laptop's gpu and the mainboard with all the rest o'stuff is depending in main RAM supply, and RAM fails... I gues I (or any body else) have not been able yet to boot a computer in absense of RAM, and maybe, if this guy overheated his graphical card following certain procedure and got bad enough as to damage his main RAM supply, then it might be the reason of your problems.
But, the theory about the failing screen is also interesting. I guess we need more information 'bout this issue particullary.

Chrisjs wrote:
Ok, while this is almost two months old, there are a few things that don't make sense. How could it be the hard drive that would cause the screen to not show anything? Terminals don't have hard drives, and my hard drive power cable had oddly slowly slid out, but it still booted...until it got to the IDE detection. Regardless, it would probably be a vital part of the computer, such as the mobo, cpu, or gpu. Another thing I just thought of, which I'd sorta doubt, but what about the possibility that the screen died? Maybe try hooking it up to an external monitor...
Chrisjs
They did mention that the HDD LED doesn't come on, which wouldn't be related to the LCD though. I hate it when I confuse myself. When you turn it on, does anything happen when you press the Fn key (if your laptop has it) or the Caps lock key? Usually, there's an LED somewhere that lights up when either of those are pressed. If not, there's only the possibility of a failing PSU (I think that could cause it, but I haven't had one die before) a dead keyboard (very unlikely) or a dead motherboard/cpu. There could be a few other things, such as a bad mobo/keyboard cable or a bad mobo/lcd cable, but I doubt it.

I'm confused now, so it some or none of that doesn't make sense, you'll know why Razz
wicke
It can also possible that something in your video card settings in Windows have been broken and some lap-top's don't work in BIOS (my dad have that problem). Have you any other display that you can connect to your lap-top?
DimaSafr
Try to boot it and access BIOS. If you can't do thet then i am afraid bad news - hardware most likely power supply failure.