FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

who plays retro games?

goblinish
3d games can be all well and nice (especially the driving ones!) but who here is still intrested in retro computers? My main retro games i play are on the Amiga and i still have and use an expanded Amiga cd32 console! Emulators are also good tho and i have many of these on my pc and xbox, the main ones in use usually being the snes and megadrive as well as C64 emulators Smile..

so come one, whats your favourite retro games / computer systems?
SilverDogg
i play amiga or c64 every now and then.

some favourite games are bubble bobble, new zealand adventure and moonstone. man those games are good. and there is a rumour saying that new zealand adventure is heading towards nds. i hope its true =D
Monkeydog
The Lucas Arts Point and Click Adventures are some of the best games ever.
rayx
I play Grand Theft Auto [VICE CITY and San Andrea] the concept of this game is also RETRO.
Marco
My favorite retro console is the snes Very Happy , very good games !!! still play it often. Its only hard to get games for it... wish they still sold it at stores Sad
Nameless
I love many old retro games. It seems many games are in 3D now just for the sake of it, and have no extra gameplay at all for being so. Plus so many games just focus on graphics rather than gameplay. Now, before there were awesome graphics or 3D capabilities games HAD to have awesome gameplay to be able to be sold, and thus many games for older consoles or computers are very fun indeed to play, and I still do so regularly.

I think the most obvious example are the old 2D Mario games. I went through one phase where I played just about every 2D Mario game several times over, and now I am the MASTER of them. Another example that comes to mind are many of the older Sierra adventure games that just OWNED.
Juparis
Nameless wrote:
I love many old retro games. It seems many games are in 3D now just for the sake of it, and have no extra gameplay at all for being so. Plus so many games just focus on graphics rather than gameplay. Now, before there were awesome graphics or 3D capabilities games HAD to have awesome gameplay to be able to be sold, and thus many games for older consoles or computers are very fun indeed to play, and I still do so regularly.

I couldn't agree more--it seems every new release is just a little over-rated. Rolling Eyes

As for retro games, I still love Sonic on the good ol' Sega. Not sure if that's retro enough, though, so I'll add in the fact that I still enjoy a bit of Pacman and/or DigDug on one of those plug-in joysticks that have 4 or 5 retro games on it. I just can't think of what it might be called right now..

Is Roller Coaster Tycoon retro? Cause the first two versions of that game rocked. Very Happy
Web-Gazda
I'm currently playing DUNE 2, and, if you ask me, it's still one of the best RTS ever made. I like playing Pizza Tycoon, Reunion, Oil imperium, Colonization, Monkey island 1&2, Prince of persia 1&2, The incredible machine, Fallout...

(almost) all of those old games are much more fun to play, other than the new ultra 3-d render lightning texture engines like Civ4 or NFS Most Wanted. They heve set their priorities to details and atractiveness, less on gameplay and story. For instance, if you take the story of Day of the tentacles and all the humor from monkey island, there is no way thet some modern game can be that interesting (anyone remember the cursing fights in Monkey 1). Anyway, there is an increasing number of remakes of the old games, so that proves that they are still as good as they were when they got out of stores.
Josso
I love them, I've always been interested in old Segas even though they are slightly before my generation (I was born when the Sega Megadrive/Genesis came out). I used to play old DOS games as well such as Commander Keen.
Osprey
I still play X-COM: UFO Defense, I got a copy of it from a CD that came with a gaming magazine a few years back. It runs great on DOSBOX. It's one of the only retro games that has kept its appeal to me, great turn based stratagy combat mixed with RTS style research and base building, there is nothing like it in this day and age. Those that have tried to copy it's style have failed (IMO).

A close second would be Ultima 7 & Serpent Isle. Those still play quite well (DOSBOX), but there is always one bug that keeps me from getting through U7.

I also have an Amiga 500 that I keep around to play around with, I just played through an old Battletech game... Crescent Hawk something or other, it was pretty fun.
linkman2004
I actually, just recently, in fact, got back into playing retro games. In fact, my older brother recently bought an SNES so we could basically relive our child-hood. Ah, what a wonderfully beautiful system it is. He got Final Fantasy III and Mario World. Heck, he even got the thing in box with two controllers. Great times.
KSheriff
Personally, I still enjoy a lot of the old NES games more than I do the majority of the games in the current market. I really wish game devs put as much effort into improving gameplay as they do eye candy.

Nice graphics are all fine and well, but if it plays like crap, you'll stop playing as soon as the "awe" wears off.
none
i like oldtimer Laughing i guess nobody of you knows that game, 'cause it's from austria. Rolling Eyes motor city, is the US name, i think. Cool

the settlers 2 and operation flashpoint are one of my favourite games, not really old but good as they were...

looking forward for the settlers2 rerelease and the armed assault release. Cool
wsco
i tried lucas arts Point , it is great 4 me
trickstott
Root Beer Tapper, or Tapper if you can find it, is really a blast to play. It is the best "Fend off a horde of zombies" game that I have ever played.

I recently sold Resident Evil 4, but I'm not missing it because Tapper creates so much of the same feel.
Dark_Jedi06
Every few months I get the sudden urge to beat Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for the 600th time...by far one of the greatest games of all time. Nothing like the classic Lucasart point-and-click games. So many great memories with that game... Very Happy

Lately I've been playing Simcity 3000 as well...I've been trying to find a copy of 2000 but it's been fruitless so far. Whenever Simcity 4 crashes on me I just go back to the classics that run perfectly. Wink

Not to mention my N64 and SNES (sadly, my NES works so poorly you can barley play Sad ) But yeah, Super Mario World, Banjo Kazooie, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Rush 2...man, classics are the best. Laughing
Lychee
Right now I play ScummVM (For Monkey Island && Indiana Jones), And some Emulators (SNES, N64, …)
It Rocks!!!
funnybrot
Sometimes I play rtro games on my mobilephone
izhak
I Do
ltbennett
the xbox live arcade games are classics love most of them shame you have to pay tho mmm i spose they might make it fre after some time
faker_phil
Anybody try Mario Forever yet?
It's a remake of Super Mario, dunno which one. My buddy recommended it.
Cr3ative
faker_phil wrote:
Anybody try Mario Forever yet?
It's a remake of Super Mario, dunno which one. My buddy recommended it.
Really cool man thanks for telling me about it. On topic, yeah I play retro games mainly starcraft lol it's pretty sick.
eldarian
Awww... I found this topic...
I played Red Baron, SimCity 2000, Mario (on Dendy!), Syndicate, X-COM, X-COM2, Wing Commander (1, 2, Academy), Day of the Tantacles, Space Quest 2, 5, 1, King's Quest, Quest for Glory 1, 3, Railroad Tycoon 1, 2, Red Alert 1, 2, C&C, Monkey Island (LeChucks Revenge), NFS 4,5, The Incredible Machine 1,2 (there is one game like parody - it's toony), Civ 1,2, StarCraft...
That's not all!
elcyron
every now and then i play some C64stuff. i realy loved "they $tole a million" and "space taxi".

the other day i saw the competition pro joystick with about 30 games build in and ready to hook up to the TV. nice idea:) of course it's games like summergames, decathlon, etc. anything that realy challenges your joystick Wink
fashioncrimewave
I got the C64 emulator so I could play some of the old D&D Gold Box games over... they were so much better graphically on the C64 than on the PC.

I have a bunch of the old Ultima games that I want to go back and play eventually, as well as Elder Scrolls I. Maybe even go way back to the Bard's Tale - loved those games when I was about 12.

Wing Commander and Civ I are some of my favorite games of all time. I think I still have the original disks.
angelussum
lol, i play retro games from time to time. so much simplier. some games i think really don't need the extra graphics to be good.. but some others are absolutely not the same without it.
E-Magination
c64s.com Online c64 emu
abandonia.com Dos games galore!
eqfan
i play runescap
tester9
dos is GREAT!!!!

does anybody still knows such games like:

command and conquer 1 or the lost vikings???

or even prince of persia???

these games are sometimes much better than the now stuff because you don't need worry about the requirements. the good old times. no bluescreens. no problems after restart. everything is transparent and no disturbing shit like in windows. no wpa shit from microsoft.

*dreamin' away* Wink
eldarian
tester9
Lost vikings???
Yeah man, that cool game! Old Prince of Percia is greater than new!
My motto is: "Old programs - good programs". Dos - good!
4ndY
E-Magination wrote:
c64s.com Online c64 emu
abandonia.com Dos games galore!

yes abandonia is great, i download a game every week or so, although when i got myself the x-com enemy unknown i didn't have to download for a few months Very Happy
Lychee
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...
U guys know DosBox???

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

its a x86 dos emulator for almost every os...!
great for retro gaming!
Maryndor
rayx wrote:
I play Grand Theft Auto [VICE CITY and San Andrea] the concept of this game is also RETRO.

Very Happy The concept. Well about the concept the WW 1 and 2 First Person Shooters are really retro. Like The Godfather or some pirate games. Hehe.. nice post Smile
But anyway I can't catch the RETRO thread of Vice City or San Andreas. Fast cars and bikes... like our century. Can you explain please?

Anyway, my favourite ... uhmm ... old games are Lost Vikings and Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space. May be if there's 3rd place in my class it should be taken by Mad TV. Smile
BARIS is awesome game. I've always like the space and this is the only game which takes you in place of Space Program Manager. Just can't imagine what happines will come in world if there's some modern strategy like BARIS.

The Lost Vikings is the best J'n'R with some sort of strategy thinking IMHO. Just love to play them sometimes just for relax and remember the time when I was a kid. Very Happy
chrismen
Super Mario World for SNES!!! I love that game and have played it since I was like 6. Anyways does starcraft count? I think that is pretty retro.
cybercorey
Retro games are the best! I like Sonic and the rest. Also dos games are kool to. I have Flight Sim 3 Smile
Rico
Quote:
I still play X-COM: UFO Defense, I got a copy of it from a CD that came with a gaming magazine a few years back. It runs great on DOSBOX. It's one of the only retro games that has kept its appeal to me, great turn based stratagy combat mixed with RTS style research and base building, there is nothing like it in this day and age. Those that have tried to copy it's style have failed (IMO).

X-com Enemy Unknown is one of the coolest games ever. I played a remake a while ago UFO Aftermath, quite good but didn’t have the layered qualities of the first one. The alien autopsy and most of the ‘scientific’ research is automated, so you lose that feeling of discovery when you find new tech.[/code]
wolfpack
About all I ever play is retro games or retro looking games (Runescape anyone?). Favorite systems is the NES and PC. Games NES: Contra/Legend Of Zelda PC: Duke Nukem/StarCraft.
Rico
http://www.classic-gaming.net/

This is a cool place to find retro games for free.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I love retrogames, especially games like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario World.
For me it does not matter very much if the game is in 2d or 3d. It is the gameplay which is most important, and often the gameplay in retrogames are better than the new games.
mikesukat
Incredible Machine, The download
Darkfall
I enjoy a bit of retro gaming, its always good.

A good game I'll play from time to time is Chrono Trigger or Super Metriod.
LethcanAernis
I play a lot of old PC games, all the old Sierra, Kings Quest.. some Monkey Island and Sid's Civilization.. the first one and the best Smile
reddishblue
I like the old sonic games Very Happy
eday2010
I've got every Sega console from the Master System to the Dreamcast (except for Game Gear and Pico). If I had the room to leave them out, I would, and I would play them regularly. But because I don't have the room, I barely play them. I have almost 250 total for all of them, with that amount growing all the time. Soon I will be able to leave them out and play them.
glenn83e
best retro game out there that I could think of would be a combo of games. there is one out now called Namco Museum... has all the classics, like pacman, digdug, pole position 1 & 2. just to name a few... this game can be found for x-box, ps2, and gameboy advance. I also think it is available for other game systems
TribalArt
Pac Man
Tetris

The classics aha!

Hours of fun toiling away moving bricks or munch on white pills haha!
Blu_Spykz
Not sure what can be defined as "retro" but my favourite old game is Bubble Bobble.

I still play games such as asteroids, pacman and such on different consoles.
Kitten Kong
There are countless excellent games from the past that I still go back to now and then. After playing games for 15 years you can't expect that only the new ones will be any good.

A bit of advice, if you want to go on a nostalgia trip, go check out www.the-underdogs.info the best abandonware site out there, it has pretty much every old game you can think of, only a few whose publishers won't allow it aren't available for download.

Luckily for us, the games industry is very transient and most of the old publishers don't exist anymore Smile
TruPain
I play retro game a lot... I still have my good ol' Atari 2600 hooked up the the tv playing such favorites as Demon Attack, Laser Blast, Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (a little hard to play with only 1 person since you need 2 controllers), and quite a few more...

Favorite retro system 8-bit nes... Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior Series, Final Fantasy, Ultima, and again... many others...

Emulation... NeoGeo AES/MVS on pc and SNES on the DreamCast!
tony
yeya!! i love retro games! nice work for putting this post up Smile makes me happy haha. i am a big NES fan. My favourite games for it are Duckhunt, Zelda I, Tetris, and Super Mario Bros 3. Love it ya. New 3d games can be sweet but the old retro nintendo games just have something that no new games can have. something there that is only in the old stuff Smile
medievalman26
Hmmm. Let me think about it I currently have a SNES hooked up to a TV and have played games like Super Star Wars and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest as of yesterday. I have a working N64 and most of the good games for it. So I guess I would have to say that I am definately into "retro" games. They are so addictive though.
Jakob [JaWGames]
Retrogames are great! some of the best are the Zelda games like A link to the past and Links awakening and the mariogames like Supermario World and Supermariobros 3.
kurdt78
goblinish wrote:
3d games can be all well and nice (especially the driving ones!) but who here is still intrested in retro computers? My main retro games i play are on the Amiga and i still have and use an expanded Amiga cd32 console! Emulators are also good tho and i have many of these on my pc and xbox, the main ones in use usually being the snes and megadrive as well as C64 emulators Smile..

so come one, whats your favourite retro games / computer systems?

Yeah I play many old games.
I like to play C64, Adventures like Monkey Island...
I have bought an adapter to transfer all my c64 games to the pc emulator format. Cool. Now I can play all this games on my PC.
When you wanna play old PC games Remakes visit: http://www.remakes.org
This is now a blog, but the old site with the links to 100s of Remakes are still in 2nd level.
dfi-systems
Hello, im new in this forum, i like a lot Day of The Tentacles, Full Throttle, Monkey Island, and tipical pacman and tetris also.

Surely you remember classic arcade games like commando, 1942 or the great Bomb Jack.

regards
medievalman26
I still don't consider the games that I play on the SNES and N64 retro. I mean I'm not that old.
kicy
Remember when games weren't a dime a dozen and companies don't just pull a game right out of their pants.

If you can handle 2D games and never played Super Nintendo I demand you stop what your doing and get almost every game that came out for it.

I'd list all the good games for it but let me just give you the overview

platformers:
Super Mario World

Racing:
Battle cars ( i think)

Beat em ups
Battle toads

Fighting
Battle Tycoon
DBZ (i forget name)

Rpg
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy
Tales of phantasia

These don't even scratch the surface and once you play them all and get bored there are even hacks ( like super mario bean world) which are even more fun
achowles
Scumm games. Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2. Great games!
wabik90
I'm playing some GameBoy and GaemBoyAdvance games, I love it. Maybe this games are not so retro but they are a little bit. I have few friends which prefer PSP, but I am going to buy GBA or GBM because I really think it's better Very Happy
macxthegamer
i play lost vikings but FF3 for SNES is really cool, also Chrono Trigger, my favorite arcade game is marvel vs. capcom which I think is a lot cooler than street fighters, it has great graphics, and is really smooth, it has plenty of characters too Very Happy
prole
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:
I love retrogames, especially games like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario World.

Ack, I'm on A Link to the Past, yet once again. Surprised Replaying old games is just fun...
spinout
I play track n field alot on MAME - n it seems a newer computer betters the results... ie you can run faster with the keyboard... Still so simple n still fun. I think the idea is to have some fun in a short period with this oldies.

But oK---> Flyin shark - that's a long run n what a classic shooter. 1942 was good (also 1943 aso) but Flyin shark is a big game.

Hm, I played defender yesterday - well the gameplay may be a little boring but wow what sounds!!!

One of my favorites is Star Castle - I can't get no sound in the emulator but still great. I remember the sound still since I played it - must be hm 81? or 82? n the smell of pizza since it was in a pizza resturant that had some arcade machines...
macxthegamer
prole wrote:
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:

Ack, I'm on A Link to the Past, yet once again. Surprised Replaying old games is just fun...

lol, Im also working on link to the past Very Happy
Kitten Kong
I've been playin games for 20 years, and in the past 5-10 i would say the only things getting better are graphics, gameplay and innovation are being left in the dust. So yeah, i go back to the old games a lot, there is a lot out there that kicks the latest stuff to the curb
Satori
macxthegamer wrote:
prole wrote:
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:

lol, Im also working on link to the past Very Happy

Damn everyone is playing A Link to the Past! I downloaded it a while ago on my Wii and haven't beaten it yet...but soon I think. After that I'll probably get the NES Zeldas before moving on to Ocarina of Time. Gotta love Zelda games!
glmagalhaes
When I start to remember the old times, I just turn on my snes and start to play Super Mario World, I know it's for kids but what can I say, is good and I don't need to worry about hiden items or extreme hiden secrets, is just play and get to the end one more time!!!! Wink
dark_Pandemonium
When I'm bored I sometimes get out my old school gameboy.