FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Graphic Program Do You Use?

smokey4life
I was just curious, what is your favorite graphics program and why do you prefer to use it over others? Mine would have to be Photo Shop, does most the stuff I want it to do but brush sets are becoming less and less easy to find that are compatible with it. And I like using brushes.
LostOverThere
I like the Gimp.
The best part is its free, other then that its very compadible and powerful.
I'm currently using The Gimp 2.2
Icantation
Currently using PAINTSHOP PRO and I love it to pieces!
poisonhzkj
photoshop...although its expensive i think....
<h1>
Fireworks MX...
Simple, elegant, easy to use, mainly for simplistic site graphics
soulman
adobe family is greate, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator... and I like Printer too.
konflikt
Photoshop CS.

I would like to use the GIMP since it is open source, but then there goes all that money spent on Photoshop. But yeah, I think this is the last stop, as upgrade costs become painful. If the GIMP can match the user interface of CS, I'm there.
CyanEyed
photoshop. no doubt about it. combined with imageready its all u need. cannot be beaten IMO
lors
I have been using paint shop pro for years and just love it. There are so many things you can do with it, you'll never get bored. Although I prefer the versions prior to corel buying it cause pspX takes so long to load.
dxhunter
I use Paint and Macromedia Fireworks
Yjaxygames
Paint and GIMP.
NatetheGreat
GIMP, Paint.net, PhotoFilter, and Paint. Although GIMP isn't working for me right now... Mad
Ikthar
soulman wrote:
adobe family is greate, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator... and I like Printer too.

Well, Flash and Illustrator are from Macreomedia, as far as I know.

I use GIMP because it suits my needs, and I'm not going to pay 200,00+ to buy Photoshop, and I do not pirate softwares...
Eyre
i use Gimp and Photoshop as a combonation. Most of the stuff i do uses both the programs for different things.
SNES350
I use GIMP at home and if I need to use a graphic program, we have Photoshop 4 or 5 at school. We aren't allowed to run "unathorized" programs, so I'm stuck with that.

I recently tried the latest beta of Inkscape, and it was certainly easy to use, but I haven't really needed to make a graphic since I got it, so I have not used it much.
_VMX_
I use Fireworks.

It's curious, but in the end I always end up using all macromedia software. After trying most of the alternatives, I always find the Macromedia options are the most useful, easy and quick to use, etc.

So far, Fireworks and Flash 8 have become impossible to replace for me, Dreamweaver and HomeSite (excellent kind of "smart supernotepad" to make websites writing the code yourself, but with constant unvaluable help) are the best alternatives for making websites as well.

It seems their doing things quite well actually Very Happy
Alpha Dude
I've recently started using Gimp, I kind of like it; I use it with Paint combo.

TBH, I never really grew attached to Photoshop...
Sappho
Corel Painter, and Photoshop for additional touches to finish the mood.

I also enjoyed the less known Open Canvas lately.
clownFart
I use Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator, and After Effects
CreepingD
paint all the way Cool

no, I'm awfull when it comes to graphics Smile
hlavco
30-day Photoshop free trial, then back to Inkscape.
xorcist
I use Photoshop and I use Coral Painter, those are like the ones I know and are like the same to use.
viceless
ikthar, i think they've been bot out by adobe.

i just reformatted and when i downloaded flash it took me to the adobe website. so... Surprised

and yeah, i use photoshop cause i got it for free from school. >D

i'd like to use gimp cause im very much a free person, comodo, AVG, openoffice, but it seems relatively hard to get used to it after having used photoshop all throughout high school.
datter
I work in "the industry" and use Photoshop, 3dsMax, Flash and Painter a fair amount. I also dabble with Maya now and then when needed, among a few other things I'm likely forgetting. Some samples of my work;

PS2 box art done in Photoshop and Max. I did a few other games as well.

"Reawakening Discovery" - Done primarily in Max on Discovery's return to space after the Challenger accident.

A sniper rifle done for Digital Extremes title "Dark Sector", though they were calling it their next Unreal Tournment title at the time. Done in Max.

Just a drawing I did in Photoshop one day.

Theres more, but that's enough for one thread. Smile

datter

datter
Huiue
photoshop,of course
mistuh griddlez
some pencils, paper, crayons, markers, and a scanner! Very Happy no but i like paint and the GIMP also i love paint shop pro X because it just rules! Laughing
eku53ru
The main graphics program I use nowadays is Fireworks MX (installed it thanks to a friend who owned a copy). Sadly, it seems like I'm one of the only ones that uses it (around the circle of friends I know). I have access to Paint Shop Pro 8, but I don't seem to find the time to learn it. I have Photoshop, but it's installed on a computer that I don't have access to nowadays. Pixia is floating somewhere on this computer, though, but I don't really use it for more than random mouse scribblings.
seanooi
i would have to go for photoshop. Despite the crazy price, it's still a powerfull program IMO. Laughing
m00tmuffin
I love my Photoshop 7...haven't tried anything else since I started using it and don't really plan to, except to maybe upgrade to a higher Photoshop sometime. Smile
tlambert
I'm a PhotoShop Creative Studio user most of the time. Sometimes I'm using Fireworks, but that can't compete with the great PS CS!
tlambert
I'm a PhotoShop Creative Studio user most of the time. Sometimes I'm using Fireworks, but that can't compete with the great PS CS!
jimbluey
Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Corel Paint Shop Pro. these programs are easy to use. and you can learn this program quickly.
bnbrown
Gimp, PhotoFiltre
Alpha Dude
I created my sig in Gimp yesterday! Didn't know it had an animation facility...does Photoshop have something similar?

Also found out that there is a plugin called GAP for video editing or something available... has anyone used that? Having some trouble installing...
marixworld
Adobe photoshop is still my bet, although it has higher system requirements, photoshop is very powerful at graphics editing....

My choice for vector based grpahics is Adobe Illustrator, you see, i'm an Adobe Fanatic
nata_ratero
love Photoshop Very Happy i sue it in a friend's PC
but i don't got the money..
its great.. but its main takedown is the price.. (the price here is $400, really, REALLY expensive, for being software, no matter if its targeted in the industry)

should i use GIMP Rolling Eyes or should i ask to my dear friend warez? Twisted Evil

sticking to GIMP.. for now
VidE
For still grfx-Photoshop, Project Dogwaffle, Real Draw and Expression-(now MS Exprssion Graphic Designer). For 3D; axon Cinema 4D. Motion: Premiere Pro, After Effects
Aimewitue
photoshop,painter,illustrator are the programs i use
Francisckrs
photoshop cs2 for all that stuff and also for html and such it's dreamweaver
Manofgames
I use a copy of Xara Xs that I picked up free from somewhere
shwetanshu
i m using ADobe Photoshop cs2
achowles
Photoshop CS. I hate CS2 and I would only recommend it to my worst enemy but CS is great and certainly the best version of Photoshop to date. I tried a demo of CS2 and it sucked.

I aslo use Painter which is great but has almost zero post production features making owning a copy of PS or at least Gimpshop a must to make your work look as attractive as possible. Painter 9 is a must as previous versions were slower and far less well featured.

I also own a copy of CorelDraw 8 for any vector work I need doing. The Corel Suite is recommended to anyone needing a wide variety of programs without spending a fortune.
Zenrei
datter wrote:
I work in "the industry" and use Photoshop, 3dsMax, Flash and Painter a fair amount. I also dabble with Maya now and then when needed, among a few other things I'm likely forgetting. Some samples of my work;

"Reawakening Discovery" - Done primarily in Max on Discovery's return to space after the Challenger accident.

A sniper rifle done for Digital Extremes title "Dark Sector", though they were calling it their next Unreal Tournment title at the time. Done in Max.

datter

Nice work... I preety mcuh like the gaseus effect around the emulsions of the discovery boster rockets... mayeb you could.. show some tips toa fellow industry wana-be employee Smile
datter
angel_of_death
well, i've tried every single program mentioned so far.
must agree adobe photoshop rocks, but all the others are quite good. if it werent for the cost, i'd say photoshop is the best.
dont say this is obvious, cuz i've noticed a few seem to have ignored photoshop, and stuck on to macrom, etc(i dont mean they are bad)
SteeL
I'm a student & a part time Animator
Cool
I use this Softwares for Graphics
Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Illustrator CS2
Corel X3

& if u like Photoshop then you must Visit this site >>>> http://www.tutorialized.com/

Wink
jimstelfox
I like to use Photoshop, although expensive it is the most supported. I print out the finnished picture in Corel Draw, only because I have used this for many years without any problems
yfccluster6
So far the best known products that I have encountered are the ADOBE products family like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator

For animations, ill go for Macromedia line of products...
budazz
Photoshop of course i used gimp it a great software but id still go w/ photoshop i like the user interface than gimp Laughing
sceptileex
Personally i started with paint shop pro 6 ( yea, kinda old, soz ) but when i moved on to photoshop i have to say it is alot better. Now, however, my friend is saying that macromedia flash is as good as photoshop because of all the filters and stuff. Seriously doubtful, but anyone feels so?
Arno v. Lumig
I use Cinema 4D for 3D models, and Photoshop CS for editing.

I bought PS CS when it came out, and I don't feel like buying CS2 now. The difference is just not big enough.

Greetz,
Arno
vivaprint
I love Photoshop CS2 it's just too great...

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 12 is also not bad....

Regards
Kristi
Vidollo
Fireworks MX all the way. I used to use Photoshop, but I found that Fireworks does a better job for 'web' pictures. The filesizes are usually smaller, and it was obviously designed with the web developer in mind.
xcelilx
I like PhotoFiltre Smile

Because this is free and very good Smile
aningbo
Quote:

datter

datter

the last picture is awesome. i use photoshop too. tried and tasted the others too but not worth it. photoshop is still the best.
traxion
photoshop what else..

uhm.. oke to be honest i didn't have it legal (A)
chartcentral
I'm currently using GIMP. Smile
welshsteve
I do not get on with the GIMP at all.

I use Photoshop CS2 or I use the free Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net) for quick editing. Great little program.
fladry
I recently downloaded paint .net. It is a small and nice program that is best for people like me who don't need all the functionalists of photoshop.
b4r4t
Photoshop CS4 PL ... My boss bought is some time ago for me Smile
mgeek
I use Photofiltre, the GIMP and Paint.NET
angfrayle
Screenshots -- SnagIT
Simple Image Manipulation -- IrfanView
Creation of Icons and Web Graphics -- the GIMP
weableandbob
Paint Shop Pro 8
Bielhelm
Paint.Net combined with Paintstar - who has the ability to put a morph out of two pics.
for free!
shadowfibby
I use Paint Tool SAI for sketching, inking and colour and photoshop cs4 extended for finishing touches in pics i'm kaing Smile
mgeek
angfrayle wrote:
Screenshots -- SnagIT
Simple Image Manipulation -- IrfanView
Creation of Icons and Web Graphics -- the GIMP

XnView seems to be a better alternative to IrfanView.
amperx
yeah you could use GIMP, its free and if you get the hang of it, you could still output the same stuff from ps. Very Happy
Jean-Clod
I used to use Paint.NET, but now I moved to aviary (in-browser: http://aviary.com There's even an audio editor in the suite Razz)
nam_siddharth
Microsoft have improved a lot to its "Paint" program in Windows 7. I use Paint and Photo Studio 5.5.
silverdown
I use both Photoshop & Paint shop pro and for 3d effects i use Zbrush. all three are pretty pretty expensive.