FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

sound card

NuniPio
what would be a descent sound card, nothing tooooo expensive. im on a very low budget. the sound card needs to have optical output, and headphone output. can be internal or external. ive had a look at some creative ones and they seem pretty good, i just dont know if its worth the money.. is it??
alkady
Creative's SoundBlaster! Live, External or Internal. Its 10,000x better than the generic soundcard like the RealTek or Legacy-esque Sound cards. It cost around $24.95-49.95 CDN, In USD it's lower.
Donutey
Live! is a good card, sometimes you can get Audigy 2 (refurbished) sound cards for $20 - $30.
NuniPio
is it really worth the money? would it make a difference compated to onboard sound? im not a pro sound tech but i do like good sound quality. thanks
psycosquirrel
My Live! failed on my in less than a year, it is really a horrible card. On my new motherboard, it would have actually been a downgrade from the onboard...

What motherboard are you getting? It may be a downgrade like I said...

The Audigy2 would be awesome. You can't go wrong with that card.
SGbilder
I would really recomend the "Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 4" with the Envy24HT chipset!! It has excelent sound quality for the money.

Maby if you play more games you should go for the Audigy LS or something but if you're watching a lot of films or listening to music this is a great card!

It has optical out and headphones + much more... I can really hear the difference from my onboard sound and the Fortissimo 4, when I'm listening to my headphones it's like night and day! No more rasping distorted sound, just clear enjoyable music! Very Happy
NuniPio
psycosquirrel wrote:
My Live! failed on my in less than a year, it is really a horrible card. On my new motherboard, it would have actually been a downgrade from the onboard...

What motherboard are you getting? It may be a downgrade like I said...

The Audigy2 would be awesome. You can't go wrong with that card.

im not getting a motherboard. i already have a motherboard, lol and ive fried the onboard sound chip for that lol
NuniPio
ive been looking at the sound blaster series, and have seen some nice ones, but theres so many to choose from, i would like to have that front panel as i could use it for my headphones. does the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 4 come with a front panel?
ForceRun
Get the SB Audigy 2 other than having optical it will take care of all your needs. You can get the Pro if you want the optical, but it will cost you more.
bnbrown
I would reccommend SB Live! - it is pretty good for little budget.
tony
ForceRun wrote:
Get the SB Audigy 2 other than having optical it will take care of all your needs. You can get the Pro if you want the optical, but it will cost you more.

ForceRun: I love your comp specs in your signature. that is a nice machine. how on earth do you need 1.3 TB???
ForceRun
Oh I need a lot more space. I image all my game CD and DVDs so that I can play them with out trashing my disks. I got a ton of MP3s, TV Shows like Star Trek and such, Drivers backup for my computer and a few that I work on for other people, Program installer, and so on. Trust me, the space goes fast. I'm thinking about getting a few eternal 500GB Drives, any ideas? Plus of couse I got my system installed, programs, and a ton of games plus all their mods which takes up over 200 Gb.
NuniPio
i bought the sound blaster x-fi platinum.. but im having problems already...
ForceRun
What kind of problems? Sound Blaster cards rarely have hardware problem just driver problems...
NuniPio
ye it was a driver problem.. also a region problem which im trying to fix... going to reinstall windows then see what happens
ddukki
I just recently bought the LIVE! 24-bit from Creative for around $29.63. It's got amazing clarity and sounds like the music is coming from directly in your head. At least it seems like it, because I've used stock sound boards before purchasing this. Good buy.
NuniPio
very good compared to?? onboard or other branded sound cards?
william
Well, the best sound card for your needs would be an Audigy 2. As I know of, it doesn't have optical, but I think the Pro does. Soundblast Live! is a good card, too. If you have the cash, you could also try an X-Fi.
NuniPio
i already have bought the x-fi, its pretty damn good but is it really worth the money? i cant notice much difference compared to my $10 usb sound card
Helios
Good sound cards are good for powerful amplifiers and speakers.

You haven't noticed a difference because your sound system isn't good enough.

Too bad you've wasted your money...
alkady
NuniPio wrote:
i already have bought the x-fi, its pretty damn good but is it really worth the money? i cant notice much difference compared to my $10 usb sound card

Generic $10 Speakers weren't built in mind to be compatible with Hi-End sound cards. You need a Hi-End Speaker to go with a Hi-End card and since you have a X-Fi, You should get a Creative Hi-End Speaker, 7.1 if Possible, Thats when you notice the quality.

On my Surround System, When I watch movies, It sounds Like I'm there, Especially if you watch horror movies, The sound comes from the back during the scary moments and when you watch it in the dark with blinds shut and no other noises, The crack on the floor actually sound like it was from your floor.
NuniPio
Helios wrote:
Good sound cards are good for powerful amplifiers and speakers.

Too bad you've wasted your money...

its running on logitech z5500 at the moment, im looking into an upgrade later
tamilchild
creative sound blaster is best Laughing
NuniPio
tamilchild wrote:
creative sound blaster is best Laughing

well it depends on wat u use the card for.. sound editing etc..

well ive got an audigy 2 zs now as well as my xfi platinum, and ive also got creative speakers on the audigy
a.Bird
Helios wrote:

Or because his system hasn't pushed the card hard enough. Just running iTunes with an integrated chip can sometimes be a pain in the arse; music sounds choppy, low-bit, quiet, etc. I agree it also has something to do with your sound system, but unless you are using a $400 pair of speakers and optical cables, you aren't going to notice much of a difference.
internetjobs
i think creative sound card is better, i am using the same card, i giving more sound quality and life with reality.