FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How poor my friend are :(

Pikokola
Allright, I have a problem.

last time I got a SMS from my crush, she said that her pc is broken , and she said that it's "talking" like robot - oh my god -

I'm try to check her pc and... what the.. when I turn it on, it's said that Checksum error, then F1 plays Very Happy

just 2 minutes after booting [and the boot process takes about 2 minutes + Sad] I didn't see something terrible, and I'm trying to clean some programs that will slow down the boot process, and when I open msconfig, unmarking some programs.. it's restart itself [actually like when you stop the power supply accidentaly, then turn it on again]

When it's turn on, It's trying to boot from drive A [what the...]
I restart it again and acces the Bios config, nothing wrong [in my oppinion] and I'm exit without save it, then booting and... the screen is blank then the motherboard speaker "speaking" -woot- - I push the restart button, nothing happened, push the power button for a long time, nothing happened, then I just cut the power off.

after 5 minutes, I try to turn it on again, and.. same process happened, I ask something to her

me : when did it started happened?
She : when I put this flashdisc and open a files

I take the flash disc and open it with my laptop, and... guess what.. no problem here..

When I try to start the computer again, it's ok, then when I put a CD, it's off again [like when you cut the electricity power]

well.. well... I asked her again

me : when did it's exactly happened?
she : umm... maybe when my friends "x" trying to use a new hardware here

here is it, from what happened I just gessing that her CMOS broken, or maybe the malfunction of driver [which not fully uninstalled when her friends try to install new hardware - and it's uninstalled now]

or maybe the power supply broken [maybe it didn't supply enough energy in] XD

Any suggestion?

for your information:
- it's already 3 years since the PC get a maintenance
- It's only using ANTIVIR XP which have 100 years old virus update [grrr...]
Donutey
Three things you can do:

If the problem is in BIOS or a hardware component:
Find the "beep codes" for that motherboard. When you turn on the PC, if the motherboard beeps more than one beep, (ie. short and long beeps), the "beep code" sheet for that motherboard will tell you what's wrong.

You can also try a Linux LiveCD, and if that runs OK, then the problem is OS or hard drive related.

Finally, if all else fails, then it's probably the power supply or something power related.
SoftStag
CMOS checksum error is when the CMOS has become corrupt. This is usually because the battery on the motherboard has run flat. Try going in to the BIOS setup (usually delete or F1 on boot) then load defaults. This should set things more or less correctly.
umumkan
do some test to make sure the problem is your hardware or your software. Try to change your hdd and boot again. if everything look good maybe your OS is the problem. maybe your computer attacked by virus. In asia this virus called name "brontok" try to clean with AVG antivirus
Pikokola
well.. thanks god... Very Happy She decided to by a new one, I've try to check the BIOS config, and It's wrong [always show 1-1-2001 every restart]

the power supply is broken too, I can smell fire from it, moreover there is a brontok too XD
SoftStag
Pikokola wrote:
well.. thanks god... Very Happy She decided to by a new one, I've try to check the BIOS config, and It's wrong [always show 1-1-2001 every restart]

the power supply is broken too, I can smell fire from it, moreover there is a brontok too XD

A new battery on the motherboard should sort that out. A burning smell from the PSU is a worry, although a new PSU can be bought quite cheaply.

That said, if she is buying a new computer, there may be no point in getting this one working. I guess that depends on how old it is.