FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Overclocking my ram.

impronto
Ive got 2x512 pc 3200 corsair twinx sticks. I have an abit nf7-s v2 mb. How can i overclock this ram? I'm pretty much a noob in overclocking ram. Should I raise the FSB without upping the voltage? I dont know the steps to overclocking ram.

If someone can show me how, id gladly appreciate it! I also have a 2600+ mobile cpu. And i have a 400w enermax ps, so thats ok Smile
cavalkaf
Do you have Corsair Value Select or XMS Series? I wouldn't overclock the Value Select (they run great for me as is... I got 1GB). However, for the XMS Series, you can increase the voltage (NOT BY MUCH!!!!!! Be *really* careful, and I haven't done this before, so don't trust me).
As for the Processor, you can increase the multipliers/voltage/FSB. But the same I said before goes here.
CCR
impronto wrote:
Ive got 2x512 pc 3200 corsair twinx sticks. I have an abit nf7-s v2 mb. How can i overclock this ram? I'm pretty much a noob in overclocking ram. Should I raise the FSB without upping the voltage? I dont know the steps to overclocking ram.

If someone can show me how, id gladly appreciate it! I also have a 2600+ mobile cpu. And i have a 400w enermax ps, so thats ok Smile

If you are even concidering overclocking the first thing that sould come to your mind is cooling. If you are running a cheap or store bought computer ( factory case like a dell) then it is not a good idea to over clock them unless you add alot of fans and mod the case to circulate air better. Basicy if you are going to overclock you need alot of fans and great air flow if not overclocking will hurt you more then t will help.
Daniel15
Why do you want to overclock your RAM? Don't you think it's fast enough already? (RAM is one of the fastest components of a computer)

I wouldn't overclock the RAM, it really is OK as it is.
gonzo
Overclocking is PATENTLY foolish. Please don't. You only get what you pay for. Want more speed? Buy better equippment.
Hikaru
If you want to overclock your RAM, you can do it by increasing the CPU's System Bus (Intel-wise) or the Hyper-Transport Technology (AMD64-wise), there's a handy software called ClockGen that automatically overclocks/increases other hardware component speeds as you increase your CPU's FSB, which is what should be happening. As someone pointed out before, you should worry about cooling. AMD64 systems are better off with their special designed cases and Cool n' Quiet technology, Intel high speed processors you really have to watch out for. Your chipset might also not support too much overclocking, generally you don't need to overclock your memory because it's probably way sufficient the way it is. You probably should consider overclocking your Video Card or CPU if you want better proformance in games, if you just want better performance in applications, overclocking Graphics cards probably doesn't make all that of a difference.
dule
u can lower latencys i think but i'm not sure which values.

don't do anything if ur not sure what u are doing.
delman
I have an ABIT NF7-S2G and you have to enter the BIOS by pressing delete when you first start your computer and then once you are there go into the very top item on the left and there you might have to change the settings to expert but there is a multiplier just for the ram. You can change the latency's on that page too. I see no need to up the voltage because it is very risky and you can get by using the stock voltage I would advise to not go past 200mhz which is what your ram is rated at. right now you might not even have the ram at the 200mhz because of the fsb. So if you have it lower take it up to 200mhz on the ram. and your warranty will still be good on the ram and you will have a speed increase in the ram I don't know that you will notice anything by overclocking the ram though. My BIOS should be around the same as yours. I think.
ck88
Overclocking your RAM, if your system allows it at all, is nice for speed freaks but has generally not only good effects. For reasons that are inherent with file structure and the structure of a RAM you will create enough problems to negate any speed gain.
magnusmoty
overclock your processors FSB-this will overclock your RAM.
magnusmoty
daniel15 wrote:
Why do you want to overclock your RAM? Don't you think it's fast enough already? (RAM is one of the fastest components of a computer)

Ram is the slowest part of computer.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy
ram slows your processor by x2 or x3 times Exclamation
Animal
dule wrote:
u can lower latencys i think but i'm not sure which values.

This is true - if you lower the CAS latency (a little bit then check for stability) through the system BIOS. You probably won't be able to do this if you've got (for example) a Dell computer since they restrict their BIOS settings probably to prevent users damaging their computers Wink

A load of people have suggested raising the FSB speed on your computer - as far as I know, this will actually overclock the processor and not the RAM - this is a bad idea unless you really know what you're doing. Reducing the CAS latency only affects the ram, and it can be easily reset if there's a problem with stability.
ocalhoun
Overclocking is the worst thing you can do to your computer, and if you are lucky enough to have any warrantee, overclocking will void it.
Memmory modules often come with nice warranties.
Want your computer to seem faster?
Do this:
1: Use the oldest computer you can get for one week.
2: Go back to your current one.
gh0stface
gonzo wrote:
Overclocking is PATENTLY foolish. Please don't. You only get what you pay for. Want more speed? Buy better equippment.

Why buy better equipment when you can easily overclock cheaply.

With 2x512 sticks of RAM, you're not going to increase your FSB by much. You'll probably hit a wall around 210-215.

I too have an NF7-S v2 motherboard and have overclocked my system. I have an AMD Mobile Barton that is currently running 11x200.

When you start to increase your FSB a lot, make sure to drop down your multiplier.

Since you're new to overclocking, you might want to go google some articles that are out there.
gonzo
impronto wrote:
can i overclock this ram?

DO NOT overclock

DO: Buy the speed you want.
corey
magnusmoty wrote:
daniel15 wrote:

Correction: RAM is not the slowest part at all. Its the fastest storage on your computer. The bus is the second slowest and the hard drive is the slowest part by a long far shot. Check your facts.
PuNGS
I really don't understand why people overclock computers... It is just for showing to friends, i guess, since it ruins the lifetime of the computer... I'd never overclock anything. If I want something faster, I'd buy it.
gh0stface
It seems like a lot of people are against overclocking either because they are naive about it or have bad luck. Here's a pretty good read about overclocking: http://www.overclockers.com/articles704/
magnusmoty
corey wrote:
magnusmoty wrote:
daniel15 wrote:

Correction: RAM is not the slowest part at all. Its the fastest storage on your computer. The bus is the second slowest and the hard drive is the slowest part by a long far shot. Check your facts.

oh yes of course it is not the slowest STORAGE, but NOT THE FASTEST.
(fastest is your cpu cache....)
but if i have procecor with 2 GHz and ram with 40 mhz.... my processor wil need to wait.....

OWERCLOCKING WILL NOT EMEDETLY STOP COMPUTER!!!!! YOU MUST BE DE STIPIDEST TO DO THIS!!!! ANY CHANGES THAT YOU MADE AT OWERCLOCKING CAN STILL BE BACUPED WIWOUTH LOOSIND DATA!
OWERCLOCKING IS NOT DANGEROUS AS YOU THINK< YOU GUST NEED SOME BRAINS!

so noobs, please shut up!
InjunMick
LOL, funny how some things can get people so worked up.
to OC or not to OC, that is the question, lol
this person just wants to know how to OC correctly, it is his choice to OC if he choose's. The consequence is his to live.
Me, I wouldnt OC myself, I know people that do and some work just fine, other's burn up their equipment.

If you really have to OC, learn about it like someone already suggested, goto overclockers, lots of info.

Peace Cool smile Very Happy it's good for you Smile

InjunMick