FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to install 2 internal SATA hard drives

bigdbag
Hi all. I've never used sata disks before and was never sure about this procedure anyway. I have one 200 gb sata hard drive installed already. How do I hook up another sata drive to my power supply? the power supply I found at the site below for example says that there is only one sata connector. How do I get around this problem? i have never seen a power supply with more than one sata connector.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=APGM480W
Saber
My first question is if your mother board will support more sata drives, two you can but an adapter such as, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812105409

im not saying thats the best one or anything, its just a choice.
bigdbag
how can you tell if the mobo can support multiple sata drives? would sandra or windows control panel be able to tell me?
Saber
well, if you allready have one drive working, where does that one plug into the motherboard? If there are other ports like that then It can support more.

My motherboard can support 4 sata drives.
XeononyX
Remember you will have to tell your MoBo to validate the new volume and if your Board supports it and your drives are identical in size you can now RAID it striping Very Happy
prozacnation
Antec Power Supplies usually have more than 1 connector for sata and also come with multiple adapters. They have cables that lock in so if you are using free cables they can just clip off. As far as connecting a new drive goes motherboards rarely require bios settings to be changed or checks, everything these days is plug and play.