FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question: TOS vs MP3.. clarify please...

charlo_blade123
well i have read and understood your TOS, but i would like to verify/understand well, that is it okay to upload my mp3 musics to my host, im using it for an embeded mp3 player...

it will be used for embeded MP3 player.. only for streaming...
No Download will be done..
or the Mp3 will not be shared for downloads..
the mp3 musics that i will upload are ORIGINALS.. i mean i bought an ORIGINAL CD's - so i guess when i purchased an original cd from the retail store- i am granted but limited with its licenses - limited in the sense that i should not make copy or use it for downloads - granted in the sense that i could share the musics..

so i guess if i will uplaod my mp3 musics in the server - im not doing any illegal copyrighted something.. right?? coz i will not use it for download.. just for my embeded mp3 player...

please clarify this to me... please....

NOTE: the MP3 Musics that i will upload are from my ORIGINAL CD's bought from the store...
mathiaus
Before you upload at all you must ask for permission from Bondings in the 'request an account change' forum.

Although you may not be offering them for download, someone still could. Just by looking at your source they could find the source and just visit it's url.
Also I believe its legalll to make one copy of your own paid for music but only for personal use. As you intend to use it for public use I would assume you would need to purchase numeral licences like radios are required to have (otherwise be illegal).
[Above paragraph void if a) you are the copyright holder, b) you have the permission from the copyright holder]
charlo_blade123
i guess there's no way they could detect the url of the mp3...

my mp3 player uses an flash (.swf) and the play list is listed in an (.xml file)
so if ever they have checked/hacked my code, still they cannot get the url from my website codes...

its 100% secure that there's no way they could download it.

and
Quote:

Although you may not be offering them for download, someone still could. Just by looking at your source they could find the source and just visit it's url.
Also I believe its legalll to make one copy of your own paid for music but only for personal use. As you intend to use it for public use I would assume you would need to purchase numeral licences like radios are required to have (otherwise be illegal).

i guess its not illegal to place it in my Personal Site? or is it?
and i guess purchasing an ORIGINAL CD'd gives you the license to SHare?- not in the sense of making duplicates....

can i PM bondings about this?
Hobbit
I got the tools to rip swf files, I won't but I'm just telling you that it is possible. It's pretty much safe though, I use a flash player for my site too. The only difference is that the band actually emails me the song, so even if it's copyrighted I still have permission. There's many cool bands on MySpace, some which haven't been discovered. I'm sure Bondings will let you if you have permission from the band.
charlo_blade123
i guess if you used .swf grabber... still you cant get the url... the only thing that the .swf grabber can get is the mp3 player itself - not the urls - coz it has a seperate playlist...
mOrpheuS
charlo_blade123 wrote:
i guess its not illegal to place it in my Personal Site? or is it?

There's no such thing as a "personal site" on the internet literally.
If nobody else is going to be able to listen to it, you can keep the music on your computer's local storage.

charlo_blade123 wrote:
and i guess purchasing an ORIGINAL CD'd gives you the license to SHare?

When you purchase a CD, you get rights to use it personally ... not to make it available for others (digital transmission) no matter what format you employ. Unfortunately, you really can't "share".

Performance of copyrighted music content (even on the internet) is protected by US federal law, and is licensed by ASCAP / BMI.
http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/webfaq.html
Quote:
Because the United States Copyright Law grants the owner of a copyrighted musical work - in our case, ASCAP's individual members - the exclusive right to perform it publicly. This means that such performances require the copyright owner's permission, and an ASCAP license can provide that permission. To perform a work "publicly" means, among other things, to transmit or otherwise communicate a performance of the work to the public. This includes Internet transmissions of music.

All sites on FRIHost must comply to the US federal laws, due to the physical location of the servers.
sbel
this is a good topic. I wonder what bondings has to say about this. It will definitely clear certain things
charlo_blade123
yeah.. i guess this should really be clarified..
bondings,, what you have to say for this?