FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virtual pc is now FREE

Handyman
Just found out about this after browsing through some sites. Microsoft is offering a their Virtual PC 2004 program for the public at no charge. Just downloaded now...it's under 20MB in size. This program allows you to install other versions of Windows "inside" of Windows itself or windows on a mac. So if you are worried about messing up your system or don't want to format and create other partitions for Windows, this program should do it for you. You will be running in the Virtual PC program, which in turn, will run the other Windows operating system if you installed them.

The link to the free download is here have fun.
photon
forget virtual pc. VMware is now free too!! the server edition has been made free this week! with this, i doubt if anyone else will got for the MS pos Razz
manas
I personally prefer VMWare over that crap Virtual PC.
Handyman
Some of us on the forum have mac's and we can't use vmware. but it is great to know that there are alternatives for other operating systems.
screamingdecay
I thought theres programs out there aready being made by both Apple and Some other companie that lets you dual boot Windows XP and or Run it in a window on the new Intel macs?
urangkayo
I prefer to using VMWare if i want try install new OS
Xeniczone
Very Happy yes, Now I can run windows Apps On my powermac. I'm digging my PC grave tonight Very Happy

EDIT: Crying or Very sad only the windows version is free. Mad
Shirish
well i don't prefer Virtual PC either.

When i designed my own OS... and its iso..

it even loaded the initial part but later gave problems

well it's not designed for OS other than windows or windows compatible..

moreover its too slow ..

i will try vmware now ... but bochs is the best i shud say..
kkzone
on any day vmware is miles better than virtual pc.
venkateshwarans
Vmware looks much better. Any other softwares like vmware?
lookahead
i too prefer vmware....
TomS
Sounds good. I don't know which one is better.
Can anybody post links to these two programs?
sprk3
Dear friends

I prefer vmware it is more stable.
budazz
Ill try this one im having problem with my OS and i want to try other Os too on my PC
bnbrown
Huh? its good to know, it was for fee when I looked at it...
bnbrown
Try them. I used WMware and it was working well except the sound. You need much RAM capacity...
Bernard
Not fully clear for me, I know virtual PC and even used an old version on an old mac, never get far with that.

What is vmware? Same usage for Mac? And how about Mac Intel and thos sort of software? They could be highly improved by being adapted to use Intel. Any comment on that or good url?
jon9314
how can they make money if it is free there must be some kind of catch. where did you get your info and do you have links for the rest of us??
Transponder
gr8t im gonna download it Razz
The_Gamer294
dotnet
bnbrown wrote:
Try them. I used WMware and it was working well except the sound.

Does this mean that WMware NOT PLAYING sound?? Or what?
douzy
Why do I really need any of these?
virus_in_town
i lIKE vIRTUAL Pc its really good experience to hav ..2 or more Os running @ same time...thanx to Microsoft.
Jaan
VMware owns me, and owns you too. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Virtual PC = Virtual Crap
test32rota
As far as I know, only VMWare palyer is free. It allows run alredy prepared virtual-machines, but doesn't allow create new one. Does Virtual PC has some kind of limitation like VMWare player ?
One more questiion, if somebody tried to run non-windows OS on Virtual PC ?
{name here}
test32rota wrote:
As far as I know, only VMWare palyer is free. It allows run alredy prepared virtual-machines, but doesn't allow create new one. Does Virtual PC has some kind of limitation like VMWare player ?
One more questiion, if somebody tried to run non-windows OS on Virtual PC ?

You can run anything in Virtual PC that you want to run. I know for a fact that you are able to run OS/2, one of the most difficult OSes to emulate, with VPC.
angel_of_death
anthonygerbils wrote:
what is the difference between the two ???? as i am confused which to use ???????????????????????????????????????????>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<

i gotta totally agree with this guy, and since i use dial-up, cant download both and try out either. pls, where do i get VMware Question
caroline
for virtual pc you still have to pay for a copy of windows right?

what's its advantage over, for example, boot camp?
vashish87
Anyone know if virtual pc becoming free is related to vmware becoming free? Someone post first launch dates.
nhuabo
Just found out about this after browsing through some sites. Microsoft is offering a their Virtual PC 2004 program for the public at no charge. Just downloaded now...it's under 20MB in size. This program allows you to install other versions of Windows "inside" of Windows itself or windows on a mac. So if you are worried about messing up your system or don't want to format and create other partitions for Windows, this program should do it for you. You will be running in the Virtual PC program, which in turn, will run the other Windows operating system if you installed them.

The link to the free download is here have fun

Virtual PC is a great software,I use Virtual PC 5.2 now.
I use it to install many Operating Systems like Linux,Minix 3,Windows 98,MSDOS7.1 and MAc so on.
I don't know if Virtual 2004 is better than 5.2.
if so,I will change it to 2004.
squall666
lol nicefor the tipp ^^ now can i dl it legal *-*
zipper
I just hear before about vitual PC become a FREEware.This is a good news.But vitual PC can fully support linux or not?
bakpao6
Vmware is good enough, dont try other unless u want it.
it is free as well.
sceptileex
both are about the same, honestly, but since its a microsoft thing..... i find myself inclined towards vmware.
WickedGravity
I myself would have to go with VMWare. I have tried Virtual PC and must say i was far from impressed. I am not one of those "Micro$ucks" people either, I just felt the program lacked features that VMWare was not only shipped with, but worked flawlessly with.
pansophia
I've never used a virtual PC program, so I'm curious about what the differences are between the virtual environment and a full blown OS. For instance, if you don't want to purchase Windows, what would prevent you from installing this virual environment on top of Linux and installing Windows-only apps?

I'd love to install Linux but still be able to use all my PC-based multimedia apps.