FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Taskbar freezes with eggtimer on boot up

Garethm1976
Hi people, I have this annoying problem, its happended on one of my pc's and I fixed it by doing a repair install of windows, BUT I really dont want to do this on the machine with the problem now.
The problem is when I log onto any user (NOT I.E) The users screen load ok, showing the taskbar and usually on icon in the system tray, BUT when I goto click I.E or any folder or program nothing happens, I hover my mouse over the taskbar and all it shows is a eggtimer. I have tried rebooting, Rebooting into safe mode (the users profiles load ok in this) Running AV (McAfee virus scan),spyware (search and destroy, Adaware, and Windows defender) to no joy.
As I said I really DONT want to do a repair install any one else had this problem or anyone have any ideas ??

p.s I have also deleated a users profile (My Computer ----> Properties ----> Advanced -----> User Profiles -----> Settings) Now when I try to load this user up it says something about creating themes but gets stuck there.

Please help someone before I have to take drastic measures.
Donutey
Either do a complete wipe of the hard drive (not just a repar install) making sure to reformat. Backup your data and that will fix the problem.

Or, as a short term solution, go in to task manager and kill the process "explorer.exe" then file >> new task >> explorer.exe >> run. That might fix it.

However, look in the Microsoft FAQ files about the particular problem your having, which might end up with a permanent and easier solution than the above.