FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My canary is dead

Ester
I have an outside small avary. I started off with a male and female canary, then she laid four eggs, but only one of them survived. This one we gave to our neigbour but she left the seed pot opening open while feeding it and it got away. Then our female laid another four eggs, and still only one survived, this one we have still got, but we have had to separate it from the others as it was alsways fighting. The third lot of eggs, still only poduced one bird, but before it left the nest the mother was found dead on the bottom of the cage. Would it be possible for a snake to get in through the small bars and try to eat her, her head was wet and squashed, but the rest of her body was fine. There was no other signs of an animal attacking them, and she had not looked ill.

If anyone has any ideas as to how she could have died, I would appriciate it.

By the way the male bird kept on feeding the baby and today it left it's nest, it's a beautiful pale yellow.
jipmerite
Really relieved to hear that the baby survived with just the father to feed. I have personally never had canaries although I would love to. The only canary I know is Tweety... Very Happy

If it was a snake that killed the mother then the snake would probably have eaten the body WHOLE and not just the head. That is the way snakes eat. It does not chew parts of the food. It just swallows it whole.

A more likely scenario is that the mother died of natural causes and ants ate the head. Ants would be attracted by the moisture in the eyes and such. Did you notice ants on the dead body?

Ants can easily finish off the head but it will take time to finish off the body which is bigger and feathers which are difficult for them to cut with their mouths.

Another likely culprit, and one I have experience myself, is rats in the cage. Rats can squeeze through very small gaps. It might seem impossible but rats, especially young ones, can squeeze through the smallest square of bird nets. Or perhaps if your cage is on the ground, there is gap between the bottom of the cage and the ground. You did mention it is an outdoor aviary.

A rat would usually remember it's way back into the cage if it gets in once. They are quite intelligent. Maybe till not they had just been eating the bird food but now attacked the mother.

Check the bird for the rat. It might be hiding inside an unused nest.

Of course it might be some other reason too.
gh0stface
jipmerite wrote:

If it was a snake that killed the mother then the snake would probably have eaten the body WHOLE and not just the head. That is the way snakes eat. It does not chew parts of the food. It just swallows it whole.

She said the head was wet and squashed, but the rest of her body was fine ;o

In all posibility, it kind of sounds like a snake started to eat the bird. Maybe something scared it off leaving the corpse of the bird behind like you described.

Sad to hear what happened, but you might want to check your aviary for small gaps and whatnot just in case the above mention is correct about the rat.
jipmerite
I don't know if it is done elsewhere but when I had my aviary we used to hang this white colored thing inside the cages. The birds used to come and eat it. It scrapes off like lime stone or something. The theory went that this helped the birds to lay eggs. My guess is that it contained a lot of calcium.

There was a belief that this white thing attracted snakes. I am not sure now whether it was this or the birds themselves that attracted the snakes for a snack.
Ester
jipmerite wrote:
I don't know if it is done elsewhere but when I had my aviary we used to hang this white colored thing inside the cages. The birds used to come and eat it. It scrapes off like lime stone or something. The theory went that this helped the birds to lay eggs. My guess is that it contained a lot of calcium.

There was a belief that this white thing attracted snakes. I am not sure now whether it was this or the birds themselves that attracted the snakes for a snack.

We have got a cuttle fish bone in the cage and we do put broken egg shell in. I hope that it's not rats though as I don't know what to do to discourage them. I have checked the bars, but they are only small gaps between them and none of them are damaged. I'm just a bit worried now as the bay has left the nest, but can't fly very well yet.

Thanks everyone for you help and concern.
jipmerite
Yeah I think it was cuttle fish that I had that time.

Anyway, good luck with the birds.
Bourgondier
I'm really sorry for you, it always sucks when your animal dies.
In holland we say: dat is een klote kut tering zooi!

sterkte!
SusieSmacktard
Awww....that's sad. I'm glad the baby survived, though. I didnt' know that both parents feed baby birds. I always thought it was just the mother.
afgdomain
I used to own two canaries, one male and one female. The female laid 5 eggs, but for some reason ate them Crying or Very sad
jipmerite
I think in most species of birds usually kept as pets in home aviaries, both male and female share the duties of feeding the young.

The father continuing to feed the young after the mother died, I had not heard of before. But it's good if they do eh... Smile
Ester
The new baby canary is doing fine, and now we have just introduced a female, the male is showing off and trying to mate, so with a bit of look we will have another bath of eggs. I will keep you all posted.[/img]
jasmine
So sorry about your pet... and I'm sorry I can't provide any advise since I am not really knowledgeable with taking care of birds.

But just think of it this way, at least you have a little one in place of its mother. Smile At least, a part of her is left in the world.

Or at least that is what I tell myself whenever a pet of a friend dies from giving birth. Sad
twilightmoon
Im sorry your canary is dead but at leat the baby survived i hope it doeent happen again sorry Sad
bonestorm74
Very sad story but oh well, every cloud has it's silver lining I guess. Not all bad news so that is something.
crimson_aria
Oh, that's so sad... Losing a pet is like losing a person dear to you. I don't know much about birds so, I don't have any idea how she died, sorry.
Ester
http://uk.msnusers.com/k1mb7en7ad0achpf614aj0dp97/Documents/Pictures/pics%20039%2Ejpg?t=7nuh9cg8wDhgcggGSgQffXtSigh5YC5*qLzAtXu3asrICj1TfRy4Nsz4o738!gcb5hHSsSiX2zHqt!1vxo2ID*491c9SJTwszfOYRJ5r6bVvpdIAan5c8ctBphIYAXGh*2dB*emsaipLM$&p=7SPQJuYY2HF0NtarHd6ARFzkVURKEnzGOVZVE34Z2FzSwHtRq8n*lvHv!JVjBsTbQVWS34JDgnW39V58jNyiJZOBOyH9ZhjPz8mwQQ65VVFErtJPF8okhF5wuQlPLX8RLqMo*tGNIQuPPwP!hU4Gi3zEwJq5F7KL!nyy*pVYO23FASJfGhYeTWpQ$$

This is a photo of my baby bird, it is doing fine and eating alot,
I think that if it carries on eating like it is, it will wear out the father,
as he is still feeding it.
nadk
That's a really sad story. Birds are such cute animals. I have recenty lost a bird, a small blue budgie. She was such a happy bird. But she got sick and slowly passed away. I'm glad to hear that the father bird is taking care of the little ones Very Happy.
Ester
I am so sad, after the baby birds surviving the loss of their mother and the father feeding them successfully, we had a really bad wind one day which turned over the big mobile avery that the birds were in, killing both the baby birds, so now we only have the father bird and another female bird that a friend gave us. Hopefully these will eventually mate and we can start breeding canaries again. We have now put a wire to the cage which has secured it to the ground so now the cage will not turn over.
Rico
Shame. Canaries can really cheer a place up, I hope your experiences
with them bring you much insight into bird-lore.
Ester
After loosing more of our canaires due to the very bad wind and the cage being blown over, the remaining female bird has started to shake, she looks well enough her feathers a smooth and clean and she seems alert enough. I am wondering if she sustained some sort of nervous damage due to the cage falling over. Has anyone ever seen this in a canary and do they know if she will die because of it. I would hate loose yet another canary. We have kept the remaining two canaries in a quiet and warm and are just hoping that they will both be fine.
palavra
Ester wrote:
I
By the way the male bird kept on feeding the baby and today it left it's nest, it's a beautiful pale yellow.

how is it now?
Ester
how is it now?[/quote]

I had posted an update to the birds earlier

"after the baby birds surviving the loss of their mother and the father feeding them successfully, we had a really bad wind one day which turned over the big mobile avery that the birds were in, killing both the baby birds"

But now we have moved the avery to a not so open place, and have been given two more birds. All the birds are doing fine, and the female that was shaking after the last wind problem is now doing well. She lost a toe lost all her tail feathers, but now she has grown new feathers and the shaking has almost stopped. Hopefully next year we can get them to bread again. Thanks for you concern.
FortuN
Ohh, im sorry.
Hope you got a new one.
Its very sad when a animal die that you have owned Sad
My dog died for 3 weeks ago and im still sad Sad((

I hope you got a new one soon.
Bye
Drawingguy
Maybe your house has toxic gases. Probably not. On an interesting note, though, miners supposedly brought canaries with them into the mines to test whether the air was safe to breathe, since the canaries were more sensitive to the poisonous vapours. I' m not sure as to how valid that is, but it was intriguing when I heard it.
paulbarter
Sorry to hear the sad tale Sad It may well be a snake that killed your canary. It could have tried to swallow the vird and then stopped because it was too large for its jaws, but by then the bird was dead. It sounds like the bird had a good life with all the eggs it laid! i am sure you will get some more. Smile
indeedwrestling
Well, birds carry the avian flu. Be happy!