FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is a gud formatting software??

anthonygerbils
i am looking for a gud formatting software and i would like a fast acting one as i dont like windows one please help by telling me some names thanks
ants
Donutey
Why do you need to format... WesternDigital and Seagate (to my knowledge) both offer drive specific reformatting software. You can also do the formatting when/if you installed linux... if you don't like windows Rolling Eyes
LethcanAernis
Why you doesn't like the Windows one? please be more specific, else we cannot help you!

Format what kind of disk and for what purpose? Question
Ikthar
I think he means "defragmenting software", and that he doesn't like the one that ships with Windows... If your question is like I understood, the only one I know of is O&O.
lookahead
To format a hard drive u can just use the dos command format :[drive letter]

Softwares like PartionMagic help in repationing the hard drives without loss of data.
anthonygerbils
NO i mean FORMAT and i have an NTFS 40gb drive and i would like to format one as i have two of them but the windows formatting software doesnt format it to my liking as it sometimes believe it or not leaves files behind and as for defragmenting thanks for the reference but i allready use O&O as they are great and have been doing so for ages now. anyway if you need more info please ask.

thanks for your replies.
Bones
anthonygerbils wrote:
NO i mean FORMAT and i have an NTFS 40gb drive and i would like to format one as i have two of them but the windows formatting software doesnt format it to my liking as it sometimes believe it or not leaves files behind and as for defragmenting thanks for the reference but i allready use O&O as they are great and have been doing so for ages now. anyway if you need more info please ask.

thanks for your replies.

Windows format does not leave files behind any more than any other format program, unless you are doing a quick format. Also, you can format a drive up to 10 or more imes and data recovery software will still pick up data left behind.

Do a normal format, not a quick one..but if you want the data left to be invisible to even data recovery software, you will need to low level format the drive then high level format the drive 10-12 times.

There is no such thing as a 'magic format tool' that gets rid of everything in one pass.
kiranaghor
Try Partition magic 8. It wll help.
anthonygerbils
Quote:
Do a normal format, not a quick one..but if you want the data left to be invisible to even data recovery software, you will need to low level format the drive then high level format the drive 10-12 times.

how do you do low level formating as when i use windows all i see is quick format and just format ??
thanks for your help.
anthonygerbils
Partition magic 8 is not to do with formatting but anyway thanks .
hellrahul
And I thought You were talking about Word Formating.

HE HE HE Very Happy
Bones
For a low level format you can usually get a utility from the hard drive makers website. Be careful though if your drive came from an OEM computer, as a low level format may destroy any data that the oem wants on there, like a recovery partition for instance.

After doing a low level format, you still need to do a regular format to prepare the drive to accept data.
Tom112
I don´t know what i make wrong but it seamed to be very difficult to format the hard drive.

It do formating but when everything is finished i still have old things left.

YES i probably do the wrong thing, so does anyone have a complete instruction (from position A to ....)

how to format a win XP harddrive.

When i say "old things left" after the formating, i meant specifik Dell junk and strange programs that i

don´t want to keep.

Any suggestions would be great to have.

Thanks in advance!
Arnie
Note to all readers: OP is from 2006

To Tom: how do you reinstall Windows after formatting? From a recovery CD or partition? If this is supplied by Dell, then it's a custom installation with their programs added to it. That means the Dell stuff doesn't stay on your computer after the format - the format clears the entire filesystem, removes all files - but you simply put it back when you install Windows. So your formatting is OK, it is the Windows reinstallation that gives you the unwanted Dell programs.

Try a regular, generic Windows CD of the exact version (XP Home/XP Pro/Vista HB etc.) and language that shipped with your computer. (Any Service Pack will install, if possible use the latest.) Such a Windows installation will not have Dell programs but you will probably have to find and download the drivers for hardware yourself. You should be able to install with the serial number that shipped with the computer. (That's why you must use the exact same version and language.)

If you don't mean custom Dell programs in your Windows installation as I described above, but you want to get rid of a hidden partition - keep the partition anyway. It won't slow down your computer, only takes a little space and HDD space is cheap nowadays. The hidden partition is probably important for recovery purposes.
Flakky
Bones wrote:
There is no such thing as a 'magic format tool' that gets rid of everything in one pass.
Of course they do have programs which do this, but then just as you said had multiple passes anyway Razz
aningbo
Flakky wrote:
Bones wrote:
Of course they do have programs which do this, but then just as you said had multiple passes anyway Razz

if u guys please.... stop diggin 3-4 years old topic. please do check the date/day of topic posted and then reply to it. its really annoying to see the newwer topics getting a back seat because of this.