FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Abou Bad Sectors On Hard Disc?

lancerfootwear
I have got some bad sectors on my computer's Hard Disc. Will it be harm full for my files svaed on my system and if yes than how can i remove them. My Virus scanner is also not able to remove them.
Pikokola
bad sector is not a virusses, the possible way to removi it is Re-Format your HDD, if it's already much of bad sectors.. buy the new one.. XD

Bad sector will not harm your healty files, err.. actually the badsector is happened when your HDD damaged, or something like that [IMO it's same as corrupted places] nad, the bad news is.. when your hdd damaged, your files are damaged too Very Happy "good for you"

to remove it, just re-partition it, [actually it isn't delete/remove it, but didn't use it - the problem stil there but your PC won't access it - off course it'llcut your HDD size [I ever had a 80gb HDD with only 10GB availaibe, the others are corrupted / bad sector Smile]

wish your luck Very Happy
Xcelerate
Insert your Windows Installation disk. Boot from it from the start.
Once it loads, select 'repair' from the list.
Type: chkdsk /r
Wait for it to go through, and then your disk should be in better condition.

I found this out when once I had to call Dell because my hard drive was not working. It fixed the problem anyway...
Pikokola
ah yeah.. Low level format maybe will help too XD
lookahead
You can use Hdd regenerator to remove or block the sectors from being used again so that no further data can be lost. Or u can just use windows scandisk thorugh scan to mark the sector as bad.
Indyan
lancerfootwear wrote:
I have got some bad sectors on my computer's Hard Disc. Will it be harm full for my files svaed on my system and if yes than how can i remove them. My Virus scanner is also not able to remove them.

Buy Spinrite from http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm and run a scan with it. It may be able to fix the bad sectors.
orno
in any case, don't leave your hard disk in that state...that could lead to more problems...either try fixing it by using one of the software mentioned here or better yet, be safe and get a new hard disk (really, they aren't that expensive anymore Smile)