FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

squirrel lovers

triggerhappy
this is a topic about squirrels,
i like squirrels my brother used to have a pet named bob
SlowWalkere
I've never had a squirrel for a pet, and I probably never will. They don't bother me that much, but they just don't seem like the friendly type to me. I'd prefer a good cat or dog to a squirrel anyday.

And, although squirrels don't freak me out personally, I know a few people who just detest the things. I never quite figured that out, but they call them "tree rats" and simply hate them. Any squirrel haters out there that want to share why they don't like them?

- Walkere
lors
I have several squirrels that live in my back yard, while I don't consider them pets, I do feed them and they will come up to me for food, they are very skiddish tho.
hlavco
I didn't know you could have a squirrel as a pet. They're pretty cool.

My dad was telling me a story of how he and his brothers trained the local neighborhood squirrel to eat food out of their pockets. They stopped after the squirrel attacked the mailman. Smile
michaelwesterberg
Squirrels are very cute =)
I love Chip 'n dales too =P Haha

It's a lot of them where I live!
watersoul
I love Squirrels, they're cute looking crazy scavengers, and a park near me has loads of them. If I'm walking through with my friends, we always guess how many we'll see before we get out... any less than 15 is a poor Squirrel-Count Smile
...they'd be rats though really if they lost the bushy tail and stayed on the ground don't you think!
S3nd K3ys
I detest the ****ing little rats.

They get in your stuff when you camp. (I slammed one's head in the tail-gate of my truck one year, he wasn't quick enough.)

They dig massive holes in the yard. Thank God I have three cats. They've killed just about all the little ****ers (ground squirrels) in my yard since we've moved here a year ago (about an acre).

They (the cats) have also taken out most of the gophers, and have started working on the rabbits. (I have a picture of one of my cats eating a rabbit, it's almost as big as the cat. Shocked )
charseips
That's odd, my cat can't catch squirrels but she does get rabbits, mice, rats and sometimes next doors quails. And of course the birds...
S3nd K3ys
charseips wrote:
That's odd, my cat can't catch squirrels but she dies get rabbits, mice, rats and sometimes next doors quails.

Mine haven't gotten a quail, but they've gotten doves, pigeons and other birds.

They were bringing in squrrels every other day for several weeks when we first moved there. They cleaned the house of mice within a month. They're awsome for rodent control out in the country. Wink
ocalhoun
SlowWalkere wrote:

And, although squirrels don't freak me out personally, I know a few people who just detest the things. I never quite figured that out, but they call them "tree rats" and simply hate them. Any squirrel haters out there that want to share why they don't like them?

- Walkere

Reasons I don't like 'em:
1: They're just rats with fuzzy tails, but eveybody seems to think that makes 'em cute.
2: They make all manner of messes on anything outside.
3: They steal whatever they like to build nests out of.
4: They're noisy sometimes.
5: I work at Bok Tower, of which one of the main attractions are squirrels that have been tamed by being fed. They often attack people or come inside where they're not wanted, but people don't know that and they keep feeding them anyway ('cause they're cute: I'm just happy mosquitos ain't cute, or people would tame and feed them).

And yes, I do think of them as tree rats. As far as making pets out of them, I think there are some animals that are just too stupid to make pets out of. (If you can't train it not to run away, it's too stupid to be a pet. That statement would also apply to some dogs I know, but that's another matter.)
Stlstg
I throw ice cubes at them when they get into my birdfeeders.

I wish I could train them to eat the moles in my yard.
aneotoena
Well my university is full of squirrels, and yup you can't kill them, so after "living" some time with them I can say I kind of like them. It's really fun when they get down from the trees and try to steal things or food from distracted people. You can't get bored when you are watching them, they are always doing something.