FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Food: a semi-practical discussion

KHO
Bear with me on this one, why is it that we eat?
We eat to provide energy to us, but what if we could find an alternative energy source that we could use in the same way, but it would eliminate the need for ingestion of foreign materials?
NatetheGreat
But I LIKE eating! Crying or Very sad
KHO
Then you will remain obsolete in the future where as we are fed wirelessly by the sun!! Neutral
Tumbleweed
NatetheGreat wrote:
But I LIKE eating! Crying or Very sad

Laughing

I think we eat to obtain the suns energy in a condensed storable form ....we have evolved from (perhaps) a simple life form that took its energy directly from sunlight , somewhere along the line someone invented the potatoe and spring water and we have never looked back apart from when we are not looking forward, which should not be very often due to the eyes being in the front of our predators head
KHO
hmmm, photosynthesis much?
rhathar
Photosynthesis is far more impractical than eating. Like tumbleweed said, we eat other things to gain the stored energy they got from days of sitting in the sun.

If we reverted (heh, theoretical much?) back to photosynthesis, we would probably have about the same mobility as plants, and near the same brain capacity :p
KHO
Hmmm, perhaps, but what if we could strengthen the genes and enhance the proccess? Granted we would probably be usueless at night, but all day we would be full strenght as long as we stay in the sun light
NatetheGreat
Well, I'm part of the (somewhat small) group of people who actually enjoys winter more than summer, and would rather freeze than boil, and I just can't picture giving up the joys of eating for sitting out in the sun all day. Sad
Basil Joy
Good eating habits makes you a different person. It changes our health level and mental power. But following a routine especially in the matter of eating habits is supposed to be the toughest.
NatetheGreat
Basil Joy wrote:
Good eating habits makes you a different person. It changes our health level and mental power. But following a routine especially in the matter of eating habits is supposed to be the toughest.

Doesn't sound too hard to me... Razz
kung_fu_stu
Eating is a necessity. Why screw with nature, it works. I would say that we should not be eating all the prossessed shit that we do, but natural food provides you with more than just energy. There are all kind of protein, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, etc. that your body provides. It also effects your metabalism. And what about your plumbing. Do you want it to shrivle up and die from not being used; I don't think so. Just keep munching
NatetheGreat
kung_fu_stu wrote:
Do you want it to shrivle up and die from not being used; I don't think so. Just keep munching

Well, hopefully none of us were actually going to try to get our energy from the sun... Razz
HoboPelican
Man, while you all are off thinking about photosynthesis, I looked at the question from an enjoyment aspect.

FOOD!
Peel and eat shrimp
a dripping, juicy hamburger with onions and pepperjack cheese
a banana split
fatty tuna sushi
a '77 vintage port.

Giving up the sensations of eating food would be like giving up sex. I think that the human experience would be much poorer without the joy of eating.
Very Happy
NatetheGreat
HoboPelican wrote:
Man, while you all are off thinking about photosynthesis, I looked at the question from an enjoyment aspect.

FOOD!
Peel and eat shrimp
a dripping, juicy hamburger with onions and pepperjack cheese
a banana split
fatty tuna sushi
a '77 vintage port.

Giving up the sensations of eating food would be like giving up sex. I think that the human experience would be much poorer without the joy of eating.
Very Happy

Yeah, that's what I was thinking in my first post, but talking about turnning into grass is fun, too! Very Happy
woundedhealer
food isn't only about take nourishment. The social side of it is important as well. Although, unfortunately many people tend not to sit round a table with friends of family to eat, there is still the going out for a meal social side. When we visit relatives we get invited to join them in a meal, or at least offered a snack.

There is a long social history tied up with shared meals, it's part of what made us civilized.