FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Prey - Mini review

What do you think of the game generally?
Good
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Bad
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Expected More
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Farhad
I added a poll to guage reactions.

Well I got the game and breezed through it.

Let's start with the good. The game has really great graphics, which thankfully do not require a ninja PC, Prey looks much better then Quake 4 yet is far smoother, it's the second game past Doom 3 that I could run with all the bells and whistles and not see the game crash to a snails pace.

The setting and the initial plot line are intriguing, the level design is also astounding. The first few times you witness portal technology it really grabs you.

Now on to the bad...

The graphics are really nothing exciting, I mean so many games have covered the bio-techno look that it's getting rather forgetful, before in Doom 3 you'd gnader at everything because it was so new and stylized... but now it's just tiresome. The game quickly reverts to repetition in the graphics it uses.

The level design is very linear, there is no back tracking or searching or exploration you are just always on ward run to the finish line.

The plot which seemed so promising and intriguing in the demo quickly dissolves into the standard kill all aliens routine. I remember watching videos for this game seeing airplanes that got sucked into the alien sphere and jizzing at the prospect of like mass building and people abductions. However no. The airplane is the only one. Along with a school bus.

The weapons are a big let down. They are niether cool nor interesting. And generally fall into the usually grenade, machine gun, shot gun variety.

The voice acting is unbelievably bad. You never feel an attachment to Tommy as you did with say Blade from Sin 1 or Duke Nukem from Duke Nukem 3D. He just sounds like a whiny, overbearing bastard half the time.

Hoever, as a FPS coming out in a drought of FPS's its nice to just play once. But it's not the visceral experience it could have been. I mean the developers were tapping into alien abduction lore... there is so much they could have added... I would love to see like Mulder from X-files in a cameo.

Score - 6 / 10
datter
I played through a bit of the demo, and thought it was just more of the same. Very Doom3 feeling, and all in all I think the entire FPS genre is getting overworked lately.

datter
jkh13
I agree with your review but would not have scored so low, 75/100 would be appropriate I think because it was still fun if you played in short bursts. The end sections of the game were very intense as was the beggining, the middle and last boss let it down.
ChaosMike
I'm not much of a critic in graphics, rather, I'm into the gameplay aspects of the game. The storyline is a bit interesting as the game progresses, yet sometimes I think it just crosses over into too much. Weapons I would agree with you, quite repetitive in many games. I do however like the out of body gameplay...adds a new twist in the game. Overall, I would give the game 7/10

BTW, I love how they added Art Bell into the game Laughing
moonblade
I pretty much agree with the original post. There'd beenmuch more promise about the game than what had been delivered, in the end. Portal technology could've been made to be much better, not to mention it's a bit late, too. *Points at Madspace, Unreal (Original) DMRadikus etc*. It had some great ideas, but hadn't really gotten far with them. Still, so far, it's at least somewhat interesting, so maybe a 7 would go.

As for portalling, apparently HL2-E2 will have a bonus game that'll feature form portalling. THAT should be interesting.
djsamsung
moonblade wrote:
As for portalling, apparently HL2-E2 will have a bonus game that'll feature form portalling. THAT should be interesting.

holy #@%&!!! that's gonna be cool! Shocked

PREY.....just got it. Haven't installed it though, based on all the reviews i've read, PREY is a fine game to fill up hours in the weekend. First of all, it's not challenging but the puzzles took a while to solve it, and dying is not an option in this game.

well...i got this just for the graphics and the new gameplay. Anyhow, i'm totally fed up with the Doom3 engine, it really gets old fast (i knew what D3 was like, i skipped Quake4), don't ya think? HL2 episodes are gonna be fps gaming legends as HL/HL2 did.

i'm just passing the through the forum and don't know what i'm typing here, and gonna install this game now........

Wink
TonkPilz
overall i tink the game whas good, good infor to kick doom3 and quake4 butt
basecly whan you tink about it ther arnt many fps games whit other weapons than the standard gun's guns will olways fire bullets or expoled tho the frezze ray ting whas new. dident realy count doom3 as a new game its more of a remake whit new graphics and a few detail adds.

in my eyes the only fps's better tan pray right now are oblivion and fear
SainT
Pretty nice, but it's kinda common FPS game...
Farhad
I don't know... portal technology and spirit walking in this game got reduced to mere gimmicks.

I mean whenever there's a forcefield you know you have to use spirit walk pass through it and there's a switch outthere to let you out. It would have been interesting to have Tommy being killed outright by the alien and then fighting in some spiritual world. I think the most interesting spiritwalking stuff was in the demo, that was kinda impressive.

The thing that happens when you die is really really stupid as a game mechanic. It basically means you will never ever die, it's so easy to ressurect yourself, theres a lack of challenge.

I don't know about you guys... But I honestly feel this game got cut back in scale and scope because of the Xbox 360.
TonkPilz
Farhad wrote:
I don't know... portal technology and spirit walking in this game got reduced to mere gimmicks.

The thing that happens when you die is really really stupid as a game mechanic. It basically means you will never ever die, it's so easy to ressurect yourself, theres a lack of challenge.

i cinda agree on this one and in the same time i dont coz now days in games dieing dosent really mean any ting sens you can save any time or start att the nerest checkpoint and you have an unlimited continus here etlest you may not have 100% hp when you resurect. cant realy remeber when i saw a extra life system in a game. so i usely make it a point not to save any ting intill i stop playing. i suggest to play the game in cheroke (hard) settings its more of a challenge but you hafto fininsh the game att normal 1st.
the game i to short took me about 6-7 houers to get to the end