FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MP3 to MIDI convertor

nivinjoy
Hey guys, i feel midi composing to be the best way to practice or to develop patience!!I am so tired and bad after composing a midi file.Though iam a bit good in composing midi files, the time it takes is quiet disturbing.....That's why I strongly feel there is a need to develop a mp3 to midi convertor !!If any of you have any idea of any such software or any way to develop the software please write to me .....
Sorry for the error caused in title earlier...........
tony
the title of your post is "midi to mp3" but you seem to be saying "mp3 to midi" in your post. i compose music for an electronic band so i know about this stuff. converting midi to mp3 is quite easy with free software in both linux and windows. converting mp3 to midi is however quite difficult. which were you intending to do?
cfackler
I've searched the internet many times for programs to convert from mp3 to midi. It is a difficult process, which requires recognizing individual pitches in an mp3 file, getting their durations and 'velocities' and generating a corresponding midi file. The programs I found didn't really work with just a melody, let alone harmony. Granted, they were all freeware or shareware and I didn't feel like spending any money on a possibly better program. However, I think that given the difficulty of the operation, no program will do it well.
DResmini
you might want to search for a song to cell phone ringer. this generally turns MP3s into MIDI format for the older cell phones before they became all fancy and real. haha. uh, i have quite a list of freeware that i can check for you, although something like that might be hard to find. have you tried searching download.com? they're always pretty usefull. heres a nice place to start though

http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-freeware-utilities/index.html#audio

good luck!
XLax
You can do it really really easily by just recording it with a recording software as a wave and then converting it using this same program or freeRip or something. I've done it about a hundred times. All you gotta do is set your recording settings to the mixer or sound card or whatever, it changes depending on the computer you're using.
Rosanova
DResmini wrote:
you might want to search for a song to cell phone ringer. this generally turns MP3s into MIDI format for the older cell phones before they became all fancy and real. haha. uh, i have quite a list of freeware that i can check for you, although something like that might be hard to find. have you tried searching download.com? they're always pretty usefull. heres a nice place to start though

http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-freeware-utilities/index.html#audio

good luck!

Hi there,

I need to say that it's a great freeware link that you added here, even that I didn't either found what I was looking for, but I did found some other great stuffs.

Thanks!

Cheers!
deStructuralized
cfackler wrote:
is a difficult process, which requires recognizing individual pitches in an mp3 file, getting their durations and 'velocities' and generating a corresponding midi file. The programs I found didn't really work with just a melody, let alone harmony. Granted, they were all freeware or shareware and I didn't feel like spending any money on a possibly better program. However, I think that given the difficulty of the operation, no program will do it well.

This is the best analysis of what a "MP3 to MIDI program" would have to do to function properly in this thread, and I think it encapsulates why mp3 to MIDI programs are so difficult (if not impossible) to find.

Honestly, your best bet is composition.
SimonWSTS
MP3 to midi converters are in my experience all absolutely useless, even though the programs are analysing the song they still require a lot of human input so a lot of it is down to you, in which case it may be moe rewarding to score it out manually.

Most of the time converters will mess everything up beyond recognition anyway.

It's not the fault of developers, it's just that the two formats are so different it is a huge task to try and built a reliable converter.
Worldz
now i knew how to convert mp3 to midi...but how can i convert my song tat i bought from shopping centre to mp3...so tat i can sent to my phone...
Manofgames
Worldz wrote:
now i knew how to convert mp3 to midi...but how can i convert my song tat i bought from shopping centre to mp3...so tat i can sent to my phone...

copy it to ur pc in windows media player, or another audio program, then (if your phone has it) send it to your phone via USB, bluetooth or memory card
achene
It's not easy i can tell you. You can get programs that traces the pitch of a sound like a guitar tuner or something but if you have a song with 2 guitars bass drums and vocals you will probably not be able to unless you first mix it to put one instrument up in volume or so.