FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Mosquitoes Find a Mate

jipmerite
edit by mOrpheuS : please use quote tags when posting text copied from elsewhere.

Quote:
The high-pitched whine of a mosquito might drive you nuts, but it's music to the ears of these little pests.

Scientists have long known that male mosquitoes key in on the buzzing of females to help them find a partner. But a new study finds that female mosquitoes, despite their comparatively simple antennae, are among the best listeners in the insect world.

The research also revealed how the mosquito mating commences.

When two mosquitoes approach each other—typically moving along at about 1 mph—each alters the tone of its buzzing, which is created by the wings beating at up to 600 times each second.

If the tones converge, each knows the other is a potential mate. If the tones diverge dramatically, then they learn they're chasing a same-sex relationship that's not apt to produce any little pests.

It is likely, the researchers say, that different mosquito species (there are about 3,000 of them around the world) employ different flight tones in order to recognize viable mates.

The study, by Gabriella Gibson of the Natural Resources Institute at the University of Greenwich and Ian Russell of the University of Sussex, is detailed in the July 12 issue of the journal Current Biology.
S3nd K3ys
jipmerite wrote:
The high-pitched whine of a mosquito might drive you nuts, but it's music to the ears of these little pests.

Scientists have long known that male mosquitoes key in on the buzzing of females to help them find a partner. But a new study finds that female mosquitoes, despite their comparatively simple antennae, are among the best listeners in the insect world.

When two mosquitoes approach each other—typically moving along at about 1 mph—each alters the tone of its buzzing, which is created by the wings beating at up to 600 times each second.

If the tones converge, each knows the other is a potential mate. If the tones diverge dramatically, then they learn they're chasing a same-sex relationship that's not apt to produce any little pests.

It is likely, the researchers say, that different mosquito species (there are about 3,000 of them around the world) employ different flight tones in order to recognize viable mates.

The study, by Gabriella Gibson of the Natural Resources Institute at the University of Greenwich and Ian Russell of the University of Sussex, is detailed in the July 12 issue of the journal Current Biology.

Wow!

That's AMAZING!

I found the EXACT SAME THING HERE!! No, really, WORD FOR WORD. Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060710/sc_space/howmosquitoesfindamatelotsofwhining wrote:

ADVERTISEMENT

No, really, use quotes, provide sources and make your own opinion.
triggerhappy
so your saying that different species have different tones so there might be GAY MOSQUITOS!! creepy Shocked
jipmerite
If you read the post you will know that the mosquitoes have different tones to make sure to avoid having same sex relations.
HDirtwater
What S3 is saying is that you plagerized the article to post here, a clear violation of the posting rules. If you're going to copy and paste to make posts, you could at least quote the source.... Rolling Eyes
IceNinjaa
I totally agree with what you guys are saying about the quoting of the source but, I have an opinion to add to that whole scenario. It only really applies to this situation and other outlandish ones, but who would really be proud about writing an article about how mosquitoes get a mate? I think that he was doing Yahoo a service by not routing that crappy story to them.

Dont worry, I fully support quoting outside sources, nor do i condone plagerism.
jipmerite
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to plagerisise or anything. I got the article from www.livescience.com and thought it was interesting. The whole thing looked too short for me to post half and give the link so I thought I'll put it whole for the benefit of any interested readers.

I apologise.

As for the article being 'crappy', different people find different things interesting. While some people are into pilitics, or celebrity gossip, or sports news, there are some who are into science and it's advances.