FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Account persistence

pozzler
Hello,

I found Frihost yesterday and wonder, if its suitable for my needs.

I would like to host Joomla-based www version of quarterly magazine of my home town. This is non-commercial activity (none of the staff gets any fee, its like community work), and because we don't have income, I am looking for free hosting opportunity Wink

I would be happy to use Frihost account, but I have some doubts. Maybe someone could help me?

1. Is Frihost reliable ? I read that it has its first anniversary recently...but can I rely on being able to host my site for like 3-4 years here?

2. Are there some fixed rules? Can a user hope, that the bandwidth/qouta/approach to popup/banners won't change? I wouldn't like investing my time to move site to Frihost and change the page address in all directories, listings, catalogs for nothing...

3. What if I don't score enough points ? For example, if I visit the site once in a quarter (or twice) - how often do I have to post on a forum to sustain my account?

4. This is probably a wishful thinking, but is Frihost supporting such initiatives as mine with free points (or non-points-deductible accounts) ? Smile

Cheers

Pozzler
thpn
I'm pretty sure you can post a site about your paper. I can say from experience that FriHost is very reliable.

It has been said hundreds of times by various staff members that Bondings, the owner, has no intention of ending this site soon. He has also assured us that, though it is expensive, the 'no-banner/ad' policy will never change. The bandwith is also said to keep steady.

You have to keep an average of above negative points or your account will be terminated. You loose points every day so if you don't post often it will end up becoming negative. I suggest posting at least once a week in mabye three forums.

I doubt they allow free accounts entirely. The entire point of FriHost is to give free hosting and make a great community.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
1. Is Frihost reliable ? I read that it has its first anniversary recently...but can I rely on being able to host my site for like 3-4 years here?

Yes, there are of course the rare downtimes but thats it. Server 2 currently has some problems but thats likely to be sorted soon.

pozzler wrote:
2. Are there some fixed rules? Can a user hope, that the bandwidth/qouta/approach to popup/banners won't change? I wouldn't like investing my time to move site to Frihost and change the page address in all directories, listings, catalogs for nothing...

Nothing should change. In the future using $frih you will be able to buy more bandwidth and space but there should be no reductions. You could buy a domain and host it, that way if you do move or there are any changes, the link to your site will remain the same.

pozzler wrote:
3. What if I don't score enough points ? For example, if I visit the site once in a quarter (or twice) - how often do I have to post on a forum to sustain my account?

To keep your hosting you must remain active. Activity is measured by your points. You can earn up to 4 points per points and up to 45 max at the end of each day. each day 1 point is removed to pay for your hosting and accounts are removed at -20 so if you must leave us for a perios of time you have 65 days (though you shouldnt leave it that long).
If you get below -20 your account will be removed unless you have forwarned us and you're a good contibuting member.

pozzler wrote:
4. This is probably a wishful thinking, but is Frihost supporting such initiatives as mine with free points (or non-points-deductible accounts) ? Smile

I'm afraid not. As nice as this would be, its opening Frihost up for abuse which limits the honest members Twisted Evil
pozzler
Thank you!

I think I will give Frihost a try Smile
One more question though - is there a possibility to share one site between 2 or more accounts?
mathiaus
Sorry but you can only have one account here at Frihost. You can share your site (not DB) between Frihost and other webhosts though if you use your own domain name and have A name capabilities Smile
Josso
I beleive your questions have pretty much already answered but I'll answer in my own opinion, useful to have opinions from different perspectives as well.

Quote:

Yeah, Bondings has says as said before that the site should continue to exist. I can't see any problems with the system he's got running here and it should last a long time without any financial problems.

Quote:

Well there are quite a few rules but most are about not breaking any laws etc, the forum rules are pretty tight (very well moderated). It is unlikely to change on rules unless the law changes in the US. As for bandwidth and things it's not likely to drop below 10GB bandwidth per month... more likely to go up in the event of better connections being purchased or whatever.

Quote:

Well, it's not too hard even for people not on the internet very often. I manage to keep my points pretty high and sometimes I will leave it for quite a few days without coming back on the forum. Best thing to do I find is to post in bulk (without spamming obviously) on one logon just so you don't have to come on one day if you don't want to. It's not too hard basically.

Quote:
4. This is probably a wishful thinking, but is Frihost supporting such initiatives as mine with free points (or non-points-deductible accounts) ?

That's effectively the only "catch" as such for 250MB, and great servers for free. I think you'll find it's a great community with sub-sections to ammuse all types of people, infact I think it's the only forum I visit regually that I can express my opinion freely without feeling like a complete spoon Laughing... so not to bad there. Most importantly it supports the money for the servers, you'll see quite a few ads (but not pop-ups) around the forum... you post on the forums so there is a lot of traffic concentrated near the ads, therefore supporting the servers. Also it makes a great community.

Hope that helps
- Josso