FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thoughts on Iframes

RoughitforGreen247
I am completely remaking my website, the old design of which used Iframes. I was curious to know whether all you people who are actually good at this kind of thing think that Iframes are called for/excusable in a situation where they:
- Simplify the layout/navigation of the site
- Simplify the coding of the site
- Reduce loading times (which is a very relevant factor with the resolution of pictures I prefer to use)
- And a few other things that, now that I think about them, really don't matter all that much

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Ryan Marcus
I've always been very anti-iFrame, and I can't exactly tell you why.. They just seem a little dirty and too much like a work around.

If you could find a good use for iFrames, I'd like to know... It would be interesting.
Donutey
I've always used PHP includes, although I can see how they would be useful when selecting a portion of text to print.
pudovkin
The main problem I found in iFrames are the positioning ones.
b4r4t
The main problem of iframes is that there is no search BOT whitch read those frames Smile That means - low position in Google/Yahoo becouse they can't "read" content of Your page Smile
lildotti
well i think iframes help i use them all the time .. but if your webhosting has ads on everypage they can take over the content of your frame! so be warned there but otherwise i think they are fab!! i use them all the time ! also if you have media on your site which you dont want to be kept refreshed then iframes are usefull.
big_matt13
I Love I frames, I use them all the time, they are best used if you need to add content from someone elses website into your website, then you just make the source of the i frame the address of that website, any way heres the basic code you'll need for an i frame:

"<iframe src="URL GOES HERE" name="iframe1" marginwidth="0" height="500" marginheight="2" frameborder="1" id="iframe1" style="width: 90%; border: 1px inset; height: 500px;"></iframe>"

Have fun!!