FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Upgrade: Athlon 3700+ San Diego or OC Pentium 805?

Athlon 64 3700+ or Pentium D 805 (both fully oc'd)
Athlon 64 3700 + San Diego Core
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Pentium D 805
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

bassgs_17
I just got a job (woot) and I'm planning on upgrading my POS Celeron D 340 system. I know what GPU I want, but should I go with the Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Core (clawhammer sucks), or should I try to watercool a Pentium D 805 to 4 Ghz, like the folks at Tom's Hardware? Any suggestions will be appreciated, and I might just randomly hand out Frih$ because I have to other use for them. Thanks guys! (And I'm no n00b to tech; I review devices as a hobby)

-Aquastrike
TheGeek
It depends on the application here really...

If you dont care about temps or life spans then go with the 805 deffinatly, or even look into the 820, its about 30-50 dollars cheaper, its faster to start with, and i hear it can achieve higher clocks than the 805, but that is all just hear-say and rumors.

If you are temperature and cost concious, i say do the 3700+ because it will run cooler and you can certainly obtain good overclocks with it using only air cooling.

My vote goes for the 805 though simply because i have never overclocked a pentium and its a project i want to do in the near future.
bigdbag
pentium d is not a good cpu. Intel skips out on these boys. Go with the AMD I think it's probably cheaper too. On most benchmarks especially 3dmark and sandra, the 3700+ ranks higher.
psycosquirrel
DO NOT BUY NOW!

With the release of Conroe, AMD chips will drop anywhere from $10 (dual-cores) to $40-50 (single cores). I would get the 3700+ right after the price drop, I predict it costing you no more than $140, maybe as low as $120.
bassgs_17
I just realized that the low-end Core 2 Duo (Conroe), which smokes most everything else on both AMD & Intel's shelves, is only $183, according to an article on Digg. You can read my blog post on it at my blog, http://aquastrike.blogspot.com

Any mobo reccomendations? And what kind of performance increase would a
10,000 RPM Raptor drive make over a similar 7,500 RPM drive?

Thanks,
-Aquastrike
Rocky3478
For a mobo, the Intel 975x series chipsets are good. Look at the "Bad Axe" version straight from Intel. I think that there is a DFI board that will work, but I don't remember....
psycosquirrel
bassgs_17 wrote:
I just realized that the low-end Core 2 Duo (Conroe), which smokes most everything else on both AMD & Intel's shelves, is only $183, according to an article on Digg. You can read my blog post on it at my blog, http://aquastrike.blogspot.com

Any mobo reccomendations? And what kind of performance increase would a
10,000 RPM Raptor drive make over a similar 7,500 RPM drive?

Thanks,
-Aquastrike

Actually, the Conroe is amazing but it certainly will not smoke AMD after the price drop. The specs about Conroe have been heavily inflated, and while it is going to be a great core, will be nowhere near as good as projected. The high-end chips are the exception to this, because they are beyond rediculous in terms of performance. Keep in mind they run on LGA775 though, so they really physically cannot be that creat due to NB, socket, and architechure restrictions.

BTW, for those of you who don't know, Conroe is supposed to mark the end of the Pentiums. Intel will be releasing future processors under different codenames.

There are no 7500RPM drives, I think you mean 7200. IMO, it is not worth the price difference. If you get a good RAID array of two 7200 RPM drives, you will totally smoke the Raptor. I personally reccommend the Hitachi Deskstar series if you want to have a reliable, quiet hard drive for a LOW price...