FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photos in website

zjosie729
Many professional websites use photo-like graphics in them (as backgrounds etc), but where do they get them and how do they make it perfect for their website?
b4r4t
They looking it on sites with images like http://www.deviantart.com/ or http://www.sxc.hu/ and they edit it to fit to the page Smile (GIMP, Photoshop, PaintShop Pro). It's not that simple as - copy'n'paste Smile You hawe to work with the image Smile
Donutey
b4r4t wrote:
They looking it on sites with images like http://www.deviantart.com/ or http://www.sxc.hu/ and they edit it to fit to the page Smile (GIMP, Photoshop, PaintShop Pro). It's not that simple as - copy'n'paste Smile You hawe to work with the image Smile

or as I like to call it "massaging the image into submission" Rolling Eyes
ck88
Do you have a special example in mind. Most pictures can be converted into web capable graphics. Generally into a jpeg, gif or png type. Then you adjust the size to what you need. If you don't know the size jet start with something a little smaller than your screen resolution(e.g measurements: 800x600), then adjust by try and error. To do all that you need some kind of software. A nice free one is Picasa from Google.

How to get the pictures. Check Google picture search but please don't plagiarise. Or check out istockphoto.com (See my other post in this group under:Whats in in web design).
GB
Or the professionals just make the graphics themselves with in house design teams. That way everything is completely customizable.
Sappho
Professionals don't use downloaded/stolen photos this is very strict in this field, one such a mistake an you can say bye bye to your reputation. Unless the client want em to, but even then i would advise the client against it, but i never had a client that wanted me to use stolen/retouched/photoshoped image. So basically you can decide, to buy photo that meets your expectations from some stock photo site, hire a photographer to make such a photo/s, or grab a camera yourself... Smile From my experience the second option is the most widely used for site design projects and the first option is used to get photos for banner/ad designs.

Of course even if you make the most brilliant photo there will still be a lot of photoshoping involved to fit it into the design. Smile
7Pound7
But everyone can photoshop original pics into something unrecognizable and still use it. IMO the copyrights are still violated in those cases.

7Pound7
sceptileex
I guess not, lol. It is kinda hard to modify a photo into somehting unrecognizable, unless you merge a few photos together. Just to note, you cannot use deviantart stuff unless you get permission from the photo taker.
polarBear
Most of the times what really matters is the color scheme and composition, so if you find a picture you see fit for your website, download it, print it HUGE so you can see it. Mimic the composition and color schemes with your family and friends, then tweak it to make it work as the previous one.
Ta da!
pacsey
Quote:
Most of the times what really matters is the color scheme and composition, so if you find a picture you see fit for your website, download it, print it HUGE so you can see it. Mimic the composition and color schemes with your family and friends, then tweak it to make it work as the previous one.
Ta da!

Please explain me how to put a template in my directy
pm me plz
kevinalle
it΄s best if the images are yours. (so you avoid copiright problems)
If not search them in one of the pages mentiones and transform them with photoshop (or pain shop pro).
Whith some short effects or tutorials your image is ready for web. Try changing colors so they are not so agressive for visitors.
After edit them in imageReady or some editos of the style so you reduce Filesizes.
The most important thing is to know what you want before starting (also image dimensions...)
fionab
If you have a pic of your own you want to use give me a shout I can guide you and help make it web friendly using photoshop.
healyrj
You might like to try Photoshop or Fireworks to work with images. Working with photographic images has become must easier with the greater resolution of cameras. Because you are starting with much better quality images, the end product will be better and look great on the website.
littlegiant
I find the so-called royalty-free photos somewhat of a hassle as the terms of use tend to vary dramatically and can be ambiguous. Case in point is Stock.Exhng where in some cases you're required to contact the photographer before using their pics but if they don't respond then are you allowed to use their pics? You did in fact fulfill the agreement by contacting the photographer. Recently I got a digital camera and it's made a world of difference. Now if I need a photo, I just take it myself. No muss, no fuss.
fionab
I agree totally your own pics are so much better. What I find is that I will maybe not like the whole photo but a part of it. Just crop and be creative a piece of the pic may work well. I also use filters and distort my images or parts of my image you would never say came form some boring pic.