FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I love anime, but am not into manga - what shall I read?

yoshi6000
Hi, I really like anime movies and series, but I find it hard getting into manga books. When you're used to anime movies, manga books just seems so... motionless... and colorless. This is of course very obvious, and let me point out that I'm not an illiterate person, I love to read books. But I just have a hard time understanding what attracts people to manga. At the same time I want to get into it, since I such a big anime fan and it feels like I would get deeper into the whole 'thing' if I learned to appreciate the books too.

So... does anyone have any good recommendations for manga that's easy to get in to and rewarding to read?
Scaramanga
Could you be slightly more specific than that? What sort of genres you enjoy, etc.?
rightclickscott
Try anything from Shonen Jump, it's good for people starting to read manga. My personal reccomendation would be the One Piece manga. It just seems so much better than the show, because in the manga, the characters have more levels of depth to them than in the anime, and if you enjoyed the anime, I mean, at all, because it really ruined it for me, then you will thoroughly enjoy the manga. Not only that, but there is another level of darkness to it, which is a thrill to read, because all the characters are drawn in a childish was, and it's great to see people who look so childish have some fairly dark stories to them.
Victoly
Perhaps you could try finding the manga versions of some of your favorite anime series? Many anime series have been based on manga series, so reading something familiar might be a good way to start. Berserk was one of my favorite series, and so reading it in manga form allowed me the opportunity to see the original source material, and it was also interesting to see many of the changes made in adapting the manga to a television program.
Nikkori
In movies, you can see their moving actions, that's why, i think, you will find the comics or books undynamic.
Dragonfly-online
well, as previously stated before, shonen Jump is perfect for manga-beginners. I had started with SJ, and since have been reading almost all of the manga i can get. Start with something simple, like Yu Yu Hakosho, then move onto something more advanced, like FLCL... Try Ultra Maniac, its funny simple, and a good read.
brushedbybutane
I know what you mean. I'm a huge anime fan myself but I'm not to keen on the manga.
Monkeydog
Naruto, Bleach, Negima!, Love Hina, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh(I find it quite good...meh), Fullmetal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Hunter x Hunter are all pretty nice...
CMA
If you want good manga, go for Death Note. It's a detective/horror/mystery story. And an awesome one, too!

...well, there's an anime of Death Note coming up this year, but seriously, get the manga first.
supposing
You were very vague... but I would also recommend Kodocha (AKA Child's Toy) as a good starter manga. It's action-packed and funny, but dramatic and emotional all at the same time.

A lot of libraries carry manga now as well... you might be able to check out some random series for free ^_^.
QrafTee
You just basically said, "Hey man subscribe to Shonen Jump!" They're all Jump property, but the U.S. Shonen Jump is a little different from the Japanese Jump! manga. Whereas Bleach and Hunter X Hunter was a norm, the U.S. Shonen Jump only shows a few chapters every once in awhile as a "bonus." I think they might make some a norm and get rid of others (like Sandland?).
Monkeydog wrote:
Naruto, Bleach, Negima!, Love Hina, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh(I find it quite good...meh), Fullmetal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Hunter x Hunter are all pretty nice...
crimson_aria
I was not into manga that much too. That was before, before I read Death Note. Death Note's really great. It hooked me into reading manga.
Aiz
I thought the same when I first went from Anime to Manga. However, after a while you do get used to it. and sometimes, the stories of the manga version, is altered to the pont of suck-hood you'd be glad you read the manga (take Fruits Baskets for example, what kind of ending was that in the anime??)

Also, if you don't read manga, you are missing alot of great ones that never made it to the screen (Hana kimi for one) =D
em0o
you can't go wrong with slam dunk.
Cthulhuman
yoshi6000 wrote:
Hi, I really like anime movies and series, but I find it hard getting into manga books. When you're used to anime movies, manga books just seems so... motionless... and colorless. This is of course very obvious, and let me point out that I'm not an illiterate person, I love to read books. But I just have a hard time understanding what attracts people to manga. At the same time I want to get into it, since I such a big anime fan and it feels like I would get deeper into the whole 'thing' if I learned to appreciate the books too.

So... does anyone have any good recommendations for manga that's easy to get in to and rewarding to read?

the reason that I enjoy mangas are the same principle behind people that read books that are movie based or have had a movie made after them, they go into more detail and reveal things that the anime doesn't. I would recommend Death Note
apadox
If you watched berserk series you will see that it has no real end.

try with the manga. there is even better story all in all, nut it is booring unless you can print it:D
hofodomo01
i've found ichigo 100% to be very entertaining...(the anime is crap). love hina is very nice (ken akamatsu did an outstanding job with that one). and be sure to get elfen lied (watch the anime too)...it is AMAZING....a perfect blend of good animation and high art. unfortunately, only half of the current manga is translated into english.
NuStar
89.9 % of anime .. spawn from a manga .. and the rest of that % is manga that spawned from a anime .. So all in all .. if you find a series that you like and want to read deeper into it .. try and look for the manga
xframe
I've tried reading the Bleach manga but always end up reading the wrong text first so nothing makes sense.
butterfly
I realize that this thread has been dead for a while, and some really good suggests were made. I thought I might throw an idea out of left field. Instead of forcing yourself to read manga you could find a novel with a manga-like plot. In the scifi/fantasy genre this isn't too difficult. You might try The Weeping Empress by S. Forsythe. It has both a manga-like plot and a Japanese feel to it.

Again, just a thought.

Edit: ok I didn't initially realize the thread was 6 years old! I'll leave it though.
drunkenkoz
You should try reading Hunter X Hunter and the Fairy Tail manga. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
inuyasha
I don't like reading manga books as well Very Happy . It doesn't matter that an anime fan dislike manga books.
It seems we both like reading texts and watching videos, but not images. Shocked
lobokun
as you can see there a ton of manga out there .. much more than anime series so is up to your preference .. what i like to do is go through manga forums and see what are people are posting about what are they reading and if all of them are reading the same thing if so than i consider weather or not i will start reading the same thing.
SiguusaEcho
I wouldn't really suggest reading the manga of a anime that you like to start off because while you might like it...

-You might have a biased opinion because you liked the anime
-Same things happen in the manga, so you aren't surprised/know what's gonna happen
-Different things might happen, and you prefer the anime version because that was the one you've seen first

Etc, etc. But by all means, give it a try. I suggest Noblesse, but it's a webcomic. It's in colour so maybe think of it like a transition? Lol, feel free to give it a try at Egscans.com.
dude_xyx
I used to like Anime too. didn't bothers much about dull black and while Manga. But then I stared reading couple of Manga and hooked to since then. Give it a try find a right Manga for you and you will like it.
GioMellark
Hm... I'm the opposite of you, I love mangás but I just can't watch much animes... Well... You could read Battle Royale, Pandora Hearts, Naruto (Famous, full of posers, but it's awesome) and/or D. Gray-Man, all of them you can find and read for free online. BR, PH and DGM are already over, I guess... Anyway, it's a good read, a good story... I loved all of them.