FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Harddisk problem

tamilchild
my hard disk having many sectors are bad sector. how to clear the bad sectors.
Darius
i think it is impossible, and as time goes, the number of bad sectors will increas rapidly. So suggest, you save the datawhich is still accesible before it's too late
umumkan
for hdd with bad sectors you can not hope too much, save your data soon. But if you want still using the disk, I sugestion to you to make a new partition to split betwen good sector and bad sector, then use and format only in good sector. But this is just temporary solution. Buy the new one
psycosquirrel
Backup your data.

Open My Computer
Right-Click the hard drive and click properties
Click the Tools tab
Under error-checking, click Check Now...
Click both the checkboxes on it and tell it to begin.

Depending on the size and speed of your hdd, it will take anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours.
steveadams617
Are the number of bad sectors increasing? If not, run scan disk and the operating system will just stop using them. They are still there, but chances are you have plenty of space....
Darius
If you have bad sectors, the number will increase. The PC block bad sectors automaticly, but it does not save the info that was on them.
psycosquirrel
Darius wrote:
If you have bad sectors, the number will increase. The PC block bad sectors automaticly, but it does not save the info that was on them.
If they are recoverable using my method (and they often are), then the sectors will come back without data loss. As long as you catch the bad sectors before they spread, you should be fine. I would do what I said in my previous post ASAP.
Darius
Well as i know it, bad sector is a phisical damage of a HDD. How can you fix a fphisical disk damage with scandisk? No offence, but I doubt your method will work...
exarkun
Well, it is better to backup first, but I don't think that your HDD would just be spolit in such a short time. It takes time and you can have the time to shift it somewhere else, if possible, better on a new second partiton.
tamilchild
Thank you for your best support --- Laughing