FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More than 24kb of Avatar...

Jaime
Hi all.
I think that Avatar should contain more space, 24kb are very few. Maximum 50kb or 70kb...

This is for animated avatars that it make more pleasant place because has more avatars...

What do you think?
Scorpio
I dont think that is necessary

The fact is that, people with Dial Up connections access frihost as well.

When that is the case, having 60 or 70 kb images will cause problems in the load time, since many such images need to be loaded in one forum topic itself

Though a cache will be done, it is not right to put users through such hardships for simply reading a post or topic

Also, even within this 24 kb, people are putting overly animated pics,

If 70 kb is given for an avatar, then the animations would really go over the top

Anyway, overly animated avatars are not allowed.

So giving 70 kb is of no use when you cant use such animated images
Hogwarts
scorpio wrote:

When that is the case, having 60 or 70 kb images will cause problems in the load time, since many such images need to be loaded in one forum topic itself

Though a cache will be done, it is not right to put users through such hardships for simply reading a post or topic

If 70 kb is given for an avatar, then the animations would really go over the top

Actually, with the thing about them being 'Overly animated', there also is the fact that you can add frames so as to have a higher framerate and have them smoother and less distracting.
Scorpio
Hogwarts wrote:
scorpio wrote:

Actually, with the thing about them being 'Overly animated', there also is the fact that you can add frames so as to have a higher framerate and have them smoother and less distracting.

All said and done, 70 kb is too much for an avatar

I mean, what are you going to do with an avatar that is 70 kb in size?
mathiaus
The signature limit is 50kb and avatar space is smaller so you really shouldn't need anything anywhere near 50kb! If you wish to use an animated avatar but can't make it fit within the maximum size limit .... don't use it!

The mods and admins heavily discussed reducing the size of avatars and it is more than adequate and wont be changed in the near future Smile

-close-