FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any professional web designers here?

For web designers: Have you ever used a third-party template?
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
Yes, and I am disgraced!
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

polly-gone
Can you complete the survey above?
GB
The closest thing to a template I've used is the website design put in place by previous designers. I've never used one downloaded from some place online.

However, sometimes template websites can help you get ideas for making your own website. Just don't copy!
RhysAndrews
No, I use 100% my own designs. Although, I do get lots of layout ideas from other websites.

Regards
Rhys Andrews
polly-gone
Thnx!
dacode
Hello,

For some of my websites that are mainly CMS to drive and convert traffic to other sites, I've sometimes used templates, like here :
http://reseau.dumac.free.fr
bigdbag
I use only ones designed by me. Templates aren't any good.
Kyoushu
I guess I could call myself a pro web designer. Anyways, I've never used a template. I always code my layouts from scratch in Dreamweaver 8. Very Happy
polarBear
I am a professional web developer, and have used SEVERAL premade templates, mostly to ask the user if he wants anything like that. Never thought it would be a bad thing... is it?
Sappho
Can i call myself a professional designer? Maybe, i am not employed as one but i do it freelance for money so i think i am one at the end. Smile Anyway i never used templates, clients usually want originality and lets face it templates are the exact opossite. Wink

But you know if client insists on a site made from some template what else can you do, maybe except turning the job down. Good that no one wanted something like that yet.
ppalayo
I also get some ideas from other websites. Sometimes I modify templates.
I usuallly visit http://www.oswd.org/ and http://www.openwebdesign.org/. Those sites offer open templates.
I'm not an expert in design and I'm just learning webdesigning, that's why I do that.
manumiglani
Well I started with using free web templates....... But I now build my own layouts...... Free Templates are best when you want to get the site running up quickly.......
SFMeatwad
I get the templates, fully modify them, then take the credit except for the creation of the style.

It's more like, taking something, then disguising it before someone can find out. Wink

But seriously, I do thank the person who created the main template, first. I get permission to rename it and, I re-publish it, with my own modifications.

Also, I add my own custom scripts to it, such as a fully functional Login system, IP logging script complete with log, Banning script, and a fuly functional emailing code use with HTML and PHP. Most PHP.

I have been using PHP for about a week and I love it to death!
cr3ativ3
I consider myself a pro web master Very Happy. Anyway I design my own templates, well there not so much templates I guess I never learned css or styles so I am not very good at realy nice sites but oh well. I am trying to learn css and styles currently so I can make awsome site templates and then hopefully sell them.
lildotti
ive been doin web design all my life now and used templates before !! cant say im too pleased .. but i used to make templates myself so!
bnbrown
I've never used ready-made templates. Hands-on coding is more close to me. But I got lots of ideas of other's sites. As for me I don't like copying.
Reiji
RhysAndrews wrote:
No, I use 100% my own designs. Although, I do get lots of layout ideas from other websites.

Regards
Rhys Andrews

Yea, same here.
Ka7raK
bigdbag wrote:
I use only ones designed by me. Templates aren't any good.

I think templates are VERY good. It's not that i used them all the time and i don't think people should spam templates for their websites but they are good. We have to admit that they have a good look and most are easy to edit. The problem is when people without knowledge of HTML/CSS/dynamic languages just stick to them and then the web becomes full of them. I'm not good with graphics so i usually take ideas from templates and two of my websites are templates.